News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Species identification thread (animal toys)

Started by dinocat62, January 04, 2013, 04:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

I'd say it's Portunus pelagicus, although the colours don't match. There are apparently four denticles in the top row between the eyes (not counting the ones directly next to the eyes) instead of three (three would make Portunus trituberculatus likely). :)

dinocat62

Repaint of Blandings Turtle and Flower Crab:

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Ah, now I realise, these are customised by you? :o 8) Very well done, especially the Blanding's Turtle looks so much better now! :)

brontodocus

I'm very sorry to have accidently deleted a post  by vergings while I was intending to move the post here (while my kids were shouting at each other nearby). My apologies to this. :-[ I still have the text and post she wrote and post (and answer) it here:

Hi, is it OK to ask for identification help here?  If not, please accept my apologies and I'll delete my post.

I found this thread on a Google search while trying to identify which sea turtle this AAA figure represents.   It's marked only "sea turtle," and doesn't match any of the other examples of AAA sea turtle figures that I could find.   It's 23 cm long (9 1/8 in.).   
Thank you for your help!  ~ Jennifer   

Hi Jennifer (and sorry, again :-[), the figure has no overlapping scutes so we can rule out Hawksbill Turtle and I see four lateral scutes which makes only Natator depressus and Caretta caretta Chelonia mydas & agassizi possible. I would have to see more of the figure to decide which one of these it may represent.

EDIT: Sorry for any additional confusion, I wanted to say Chelonia mydas (and agassizi) instead of Caretta caretta (which has five lateral scutes, of course).

vergings

Hi Brontodocus!  Thanks for re-posting this to the right place for me.  I'm sorry I didn't find this thread in the first place.

And thanks for the ID help!  Here's more photos:

brontodocus

I guess it's meant to be Chelonia mydas, although the relatively wide carapace which is not tapering toward the tail looks very much like that of Natator depressus. The latter usually has an upturned lateral margin and the figure looks a little as if the lateral margin was upturned, too. :)

vergings

Thank you so much for the ID help! 

If I may give back a little in return, would it be helpful if I contributed my photos to Varanus' AAA project? 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: vergings on March 09, 2013, 09:09:03 PM
Thank you so much for the ID help! 

If I may give back a little in return, would it be helpful if I contributed my photos to Varanus' AAA project?
No need to ask, all contributions are welcome (I would think...?)

Just make sure the photos are ones that haven't been posted before.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

mosaicwolf

Quote from: brontodocus on January 15, 2013, 11:47:12 AM
The left one seems to have a head that is distinctly set off from the rest of the body. I can't see it on the photo but if the body is higher than wide in cross-section you'd probably have a Common Garden Boa, Corallus hortulanus, or another Corallus species. The shape of its head is a little reminiscent of a dog's head, so it looks very much like a tree boa. But only if the body is laterally compressed.

Coming a bit late to the party here, but the head shape is not quite right for Corallus. My first thought was a python of the Morelia genus. If it had yellow banding I'd call it a decent Carpet python, but due to the lack of markings I'm going to say perhaps a juvenile scrub python.

tyrantqueen

Hi, vergings, that turtle you posted is the exact same one I purchased on eBay. I did a walkaround of it, but never noticed your post until very recently :-[
http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/topic,460.0.html

Small world, huh?

My name was weez_1990.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

Quote from: mosaicwolf on April 12, 2013, 02:02:45 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on January 15, 2013, 11:47:12 AM
The left one seems to have a head that is distinctly set off from the rest of the body. I can't see it on the photo but if the body is higher than wide in cross-section you'd probably have a Common Garden Boa, Corallus hortulanus, or another Corallus species. The shape of its head is a little reminiscent of a dog's head, so it looks very much like a tree boa. But only if the body is laterally compressed.

Coming a bit late to the party here, but the head shape is not quite right for Corallus. My first thought was a python of the Morelia genus. If it had yellow banding I'd call it a decent Carpet python, but due to the lack of markings I'm going to say perhaps a juvenile scrub python.

Hmmm, while I would probably not see the head shape as a big concern - on a second look I see that the pileus (the scales on top of the head) consists of enlarged scutes which Corallus hortulanus doesn't have (but e.g. Morelia amethistina does, so it may indeed be a better suggestion). So Corallus hortulanus would be definitely impossible then.

bmathison1972

Quote from: dinocat62 on January 20, 2013, 01:10:28 AM
AAA crab:

This is the sargassum crab, Portunus sayi. Or, at least that's what AAA intended. I don't know the species well enough to comment on its accuracy

brontodocus

That's possible, too! :) I've just read P. sayi should have 9 anterolateral denticles and six denticles between the eyes (if we count the top row between the eyes including the ones right next to the eyestalks it's indeed six)! Isn't P. sayi quite small, not wider than 65 mm between the lateral spines? I don't know the size of the figure, though, but if it's as small as that... Oh, but I also remember dinocat62 has repainted it now, anyways.

Ultimatedinoking

I have a white crab with red markings, and it's body is round with large equal sized claws. Can some one help me find out what it is ???

brontodocus

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on November 15, 2013, 04:09:41 AM
I have a white crab with red markings, and it's body is round with large equal sized claws. Can some one help me find out what it is ???
Although a good photo is usually needed to identify what species your crab figure is (and there isn't even a guarantee the characters for a proper identification are present), I think you may be talking about this one which is a puzzle figure by 4d Master/ Famemaster:

That's Platypodiella spectabilis, the Gaudy Clown Crab. :) If it isn't, would you just link a photo of yours here?

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: brontodocus on November 15, 2013, 05:40:45 AM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on November 15, 2013, 04:09:41 AM
Although a good photo is usually needed to identify what species your crab figure is (and there isn't even a guarantee the characters for a proper identification are present), I think you may be talking about this one which is a puzzle figure by 4d Master/ Famemaster:

That's Platypodiella spectabilis, the Gaudy Clown Crab. :) If it isn't, would you just link a photo of yours here?

How?

Ultimatedinoking

brontodocus

It works! :)
I have a very similar figure made by Play Visions:

...which can be identified as a Purple Globe Crab, Randallia ornata.
Not sure if yours is the same figure, it could also be a knock-off. And yours looks as if it was a little flatter than mine.