News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Species identification thread (animal toys)

Started by dinocat62, January 04, 2013, 04:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaastrichianGuy

can anyone tell me is this a fiji crested iguana or something else?

MaastrichianGuy

can anyone know the name of this juvenile looking species of this iguana on the left and that yellow spotted brown striped crocodile tailed species of this gecko on the right?

MaastrichianGuy

can anyone identify the species of cobra on the left with the black skin with a white vest mark on its back with a yellow neck color with white underbelly and the one on the right with orange skin with black bands yellow neck color and a white underbelly

MaastrichianGuy

can anyone ID that otter from K&M Wild republic and the other random one on the right?

sbell

So I recently came into a bunch of fish models, mostly PRIOR. And overall, I have no idea what many of them should be--so I'm putting it out there, in case anyone can help. Really, if I can even get them to family it will be a good starting place--overall, the 'normal' fishes are my weakest area for fish names!

And then, honestly, I'll probably try to find new homes for many of them, since I only have room for a few of them...but I want to get names for them first!

1. I really want to know what this one is. It's kind of like a green eye, but the fins are wrong...it's not a PRIOR as it is made of hard plastic

I think this is a cyprinid of some kind...guesses?

A rivuline of some kind?

And just because...the PRIOR lists call this a Bala shark! It is just so ridiculous...I don't think it's really anything (it more closely resembles an ichthyosaur than anything!)

Thanks for your help!

EDIT--I added numbers to make it easier to line up wtih IDs!

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, fish number 3 is definitely some kind of damselfish, and number 4 is probably a Queen Angelfish with a coloration that no angelfish has... and number 8 definitely looks like a Bowfin, but again with a coloration that no Bowfin has... And the "Bala Shark" is an ichthyosaur that has severely reduced hind flippers. As for the rest, I don't know.
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 14, 2016, 02:05:05 AM
Well, fish number 3 is definitely some kind of damselfish, and number 4 is probably a Queen Angelfish with a coloration that no angelfish has... and number 8 definitely looks like a Bowfin, but again with a coloration that no Bowfin has... And the "Bala Shark" is an ichthyosaur that has severely reduced hind flippers. As for the rest, I don't know.

I don't think 8 (9?) is a bowfin--the varied dorsal fin length, the tail, the tapered snout and the forward-placed ventral fins preclude that (if it were a bowfin, believe me, I would be happy!). Looking again, I am reminded of a pike cichlid. But part of the issue is that I don't know of the fish is meant to be a reef animal, a freshwater fish, a pelagic animal, a common aquarium species or food species...kind of hard to nail them down!

The other two sound reasonable to me. And yeah, that 'bala' is goofy...

stargatedalek

Pterapogon kauderni

Holacanthus ciliaris

A bass, but it could be any number of species.

Definitely a killifish, from there I can't offer much.

Tursiops truncatus (deceased)

stargatedalek

11:21 PM - stargatedalek: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=205.new#new flish we are playing guess the fish
11:22 PM - stargatedalek: do you know any of them?
11:23 PM - Flishster: 9 looks like a snakehead of some sort
11:23 PM - Flishster: 6. looks like some sort of Asian barb
11:23 PM - Flishster: 2 looks like a very poor attempt at a Stripey
11:24 PM - Flishster: 3. looks like a poor attempt at a red scat

Friend on steam has been helpful.

sauroid

3. looks like a Scatophagus with wrong colors
5. an orange chromide Etroplus maculatus
7. T-barb Barbodes lateristriga
11. blackfin killie Austrolebias nigripinnis

sbell

So far this has been really helpful!

The ID's that are probably pretty close so far (from a few different places...):

1. Still no idea

2. Damslefish? Or blue-striped snapper Lutjanus kasmira or something similar

3. Scatophagus with fancy colours

4. Holacanthus ciiaris, again, done up fancy. It is possible that a related species could have a more closely-matched colour. Again, reef fish and perciformes are not my thing!

5. Etroplus maculatus, orange chromide cichlid. The colour seemed off, but then I found this:

6. So far, Asian barb of some kind. And yet I'm sure I've seen these somewhere....the snout is familiar...and about the size, too.

7. Barbodes lateristiga, T-barb

8. Pterapogon kauderni Banggai Cardinalfish or Sphaeramia nematoptera Pyjama Cardinalfish (or something related--there are a lot of cardinal fish!)

9. So far I've heard bowfin (probably not, which is too bad!) and snakehead (closer? The dorsal fin is off) and I threw out pike cichlid Crenichal. Again, there is something familiar about it.

10. Bass of some kind? PRIOR listed them as Nanochromis, but nope.

11. Austrolebias nigripinnis (formerly Cynolebias nigripinnis)

12. Probably not a dolphin (vertical tail). Probably not anything, really--just a terrible attempt at a shark, perhaps?

So some answers...and some questions still...

bmathison1972

I always thought the Bala shark was just a dolphin with an incorrect tail. There is a small minnow-like fish called a bala shark, but this looks nothing like it.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 14, 2016, 03:36:47 PM
I always thought the Bala shark was just a dolphin with an incorrect tail. There is a small minnow-like fish called a bala shark, but this looks nothing like it.

I have found two references to it--one was a French one that called it 'requin' (shark). The other called it 'balentio', which is a French or Portugese word fo rthe bala shark. But yeah, clearly neither!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2016, 04:02:20 PM

I have found two references to it--one was a French one that called it 'requin' (shark). The other called it 'balentio', which is a French or Portugese word fo rthe bala shark. But yeah, clearly neither!

We should start a thread called 'Zoological Oddities' where we post pics of obviously anatomically incorrect things  ;D

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 14, 2016, 04:11:12 PM

We should start a thread called 'Zoological Oddities' where we post pics of obviously anatomically incorrect things  ;D

It could get so wildly out of control! Fish and arthropods are so often done wrong!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2016, 05:59:17 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 14, 2016, 04:11:12 PM

It could get so wildly out of control! Fish and arthropods are so often done wrong!

Most figures have some flaws; the most anal-retentive can find something wrong with everything, but for the out-of-control errors it could be fun.

Halichoeres

I felt sure that 6 was Leporinus until I saw it had no adipose fin. I dunno. It's hard to tell what they left out because it didn't belong and what they left out because they didn't know better.
Where I try to find the best version of every prehistoric species: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

sbell

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 14, 2016, 08:07:31 PM
I felt sure that 6 was Leporinus until I saw it had no adipose fin. I dunno. It's hard to tell what they left out because it didn't belong and what they left out because they didn't know better.

I'm thinking, overall, that a lot of the time little featuers like adipose fins get left off. Might be difficult in the molds at that scale, or they may not care or notice (given the details in the scales, it seems odd that they would leave off defining features...)

UPDATE: Okay, I looked up Leporinus as a start, and while their body shape isn't quite right--the body shape of Anostomus, the headstanders, is almost perfect! So it is a characin, not a cyprinid (which, I think, I said in my original post so long ago in the Acquistions thread).

Probably Anostomus anostomus, the striped headstander, due to the pattern, although of course the real animal is waaaaay less red (mostly in the fins).

So that's sort of another one down!

AcroSauroTaurus

Glad you got some of them identified! But sadly they weren't painted with their natural colors, otherwise that would've made identifying them so much easier! And number nine actually could be a Snakehead,  just the company could've gotten the dorsal fin the wrong shape.(slightly)
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 15, 2016, 12:49:20 AM
Glad you got some of them identified! But sadly they weren't painted with their natural colors, otherwise that would've made identifying them so much easier! And number nine actually could be a Snakehead,  just the company could've gotten the dorsal fin the wrong shape.(slightly)

It would definitely be easier with the right colours! But, like I said--even getting to a family level (or, genus...like Anostomus) is useful.

And I suppose you are right re: snakehead. But there is something familiar about it that I haven't placed yet.