News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Species identification thread (animal toys)

Started by dinocat62, January 04, 2013, 04:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinocat62

How about this AAA lizard?

brontodocus

I'm not 100% sure if it's a different colour version of this one posted by Varanus. I agree with his identification as being probably a Calotes sp.

dinocat62

Another AAA reptile, labeled Blanding Turtle. Carapace is 2.5 inches long. Doesn't look like a Blandings turtle.

AnimalToyForum

I don't know, it doesn't look that far off a blandings turtle to me. Maybe they just did a bad job?  :-[ ;)

brontodocus

Phew, so it's just stamped "snake"? I guess it's virtually impossible to identify the species with certainty. Looks like a colubrid but not even that is 100% sure. :-\

Varanus

There's a Smooth Green Snake by AAA, but this clearly isn't it.  My guess would be that it's a ratsnake of some kind, maybe a Yellow Rat Snake or a Corn Snake.  Close-up shots of the head (side & top) might help narrow it down. :)

As for the turtle, the head looks a little deformed, but the shell is definitely a match for Blandings Turtle.

dinocat62

Better pics here. I have the bigger rat snake, smooth green snake and the coiled snakes in green and gray (what are those BTW?). This is the smallest AAA snake I have. It's about 20 inches long:

Varanus

Hmm, this one's puzzling.  The short snout and triangular centeral scale are probably significant.  Closest match I can find is a water snake (Nerodia) species, but the overall shape of the head seems off for that. :-\  Alternatives are a garter snake species (Thamnophis) or a brown snake species (Storeria)

I believe the coiled snakes are made by Safari.

dinocat62

Thanks Varanus. I was beginning to think it was just a Corn Snake. Here are 2 bigger AAA snakes. I have a green one just like the biggest one. I figure the smaller is a rat snake but the bigger one?

I'm loving this new forum, especially for these mystery AAA critters. Their mammals and dinos aren't so hot compared to the likes of Safari but the reptiles, amphibians and sea life are amazing.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinocat62 on January 15, 2013, 12:34:57 AM
Thanks Varanus. I was beginning to think it was just a Corn Snake. Here are 2 bigger AAA snakes. I have a green one just like the biggest one. I figure the smaller is a rat snake but the bigger one?

I'm loving this new forum, especially for these mystery AAA critters. Their mammals and dinos aren't so hot compared to the likes of Safari but the reptiles, amphibians and sea life are amazing.

Great snakes :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Jetoar

Cool snake. I think that they like as a little boa or python a king kobra  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

The left one seems to have a head that is distinctly set off from the rest of the body. I can't see it on the photo but if the body is higher than wide in cross-section you'd probably have a Common Garden Boa, Corallus hortulanus, or another Corallus species. The shape of its head is a little reminiscent of a dog's head, so it looks very much like a tree boa. But only if the body is laterally compressed.

The larger one makes me think of a cobra with unspread neck, too. But some colubrids would also be possible. The general shape is similar to an Indigo Snake, Drymarchon sp., too, and the apparently smooth and relatively large scales would match both. If the scales are really devoid of a longitudinal keel, many of the stocky semiaquatic colubrids can be ruled out.

Varanus

Never seen these coiled snakes before.

Quote from: brontodocus on January 15, 2013, 11:47:12 AM
The larger one makes me think of a cobra with unspread neck, too. But some colubrids would also be possible. The general shape is similar to an Indigo Snake, Drymarchon sp., too, and the apparently smooth and relatively large scales would match both. If the scales are really devoid of a longitudinal keel, many of the stocky semiaquatic colubrids can be ruled out.
Could it be an Australian Tiger Snake sp?

Jetoar

Quote from: Varanus on January 15, 2013, 07:31:25 PM
Never seen these coiled snakes before.

Quote from: brontodocus on January 15, 2013, 11:47:12 AM
Could it be an Australian Tiger Snake sp?

Will be possible  :).

brontodocus

dinocat62

Sweet! I gave it the stripes to make it look like an Aussie Tiger Snake.

brontodocus

Ah, so you made the stripes then? I thought that was the original paint job. :o :)

Jetoar

Good work with the stripes  ^-^. I thought that they are made by the brand. Well done  ^-^.