News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kong: Skull Island

Started by akitalover, March 14, 2017, 03:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akitalover

Have you guys seen this movie? How was it?

legofun777

I've seen it and it was great, the effects are really good. Kong looks so real

BlueKrono

Just my two cents... I didn't like it even as much as the 2005 one simply because the fauna biodiversity of the island was pretty minimal. They were more focused on playing to every Vietnam War trope.
I like turtles.

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 24, 2017, 06:20:39 AM
Just my two cents... I didn't like it even as much as the 2005 one simply because the fauna biodiversity of the island was pretty minimal. They were more focused on playing to every Vietnam War trope.
I think that might be in part why I liked this new one better, the 2005 one had so much wasted potential with the sheer bulk of world building that we never actually got to see.

AcroSauroTaurus

I really liked it, the effects, creatures, and scenery looked great. I was a little disappointed that not all the planned creatures showed up in the movie, but that happens a lot. But overall I thought it was great.
I am the Dinosaur King!

sirenia

Very enjoyable film. They could have had more creatures (the novels expand the fauna), but if they did, it would be near three hours long like the 2005 film, which, for as good as it was, was very long.

AnimalToyForum

I saw it and was pleasantly surprised. I really disliked the 2005 version, it gave me a headache when I saw it in the cinema. :-X So, it probably helped that I went into this one with low expectations for a King Kong film.

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 16, 2020, 10:07:25 PM
I saw it and was pleasantly surprised. I really disliked the 2005 version, it gave me a headache when I saw it in the cinema. :-X So, it probably helped that I went into this one with low expectations for a King Kong film.

Me too!

Gwangi

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I think it's the best of the "Monsterverse" movies thus far and for re-watch value it's certainly better than Jackson's Kong. I liked Jackson's Kong too but I don't usually have the time to commit to watching it. The CGI effects while great in places don't hold up well in others. I was sad there were no dinosaurs in Kong: Skull Island but most of the original speculative creatures were pretty neat. 

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on May 17, 2020, 05:32:24 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it, I think it's the best of the "Monsterverse" movies thus far and for re-watch value it's certainly better than Jackson's Kong. I liked Jackson's Kong too but I don't usually have the time to commit to watching it. The CGI effects while great in places don't hold up well in others. I was sad there were no dinosaurs in Kong: Skull Island but most of the original speculative creatures were pretty neat.

I still think Kong: Skull Island is the best of the Mosterverse movies too! Jackson's Kong had some good moments, but it was way toooooo much. For example, that seen with the sauropods tumbling down the cliffside was an unnecessary display of CGI with no value to the scene or story. And if I remember correctly, you don't even see Kong in the first 90 minutes.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 17, 2020, 06:07:02 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 17, 2020, 05:32:24 PM

I still think Kong: Skull Island is the best of the Mosterverse movies too! Jackson's Kong had some good moments, but it was way toooooo much. For example, that seen with the sauropods tumbling down the cliffside was an unnecessary display of CGI with no value to the scene or story. And if I remember correctly, you don't even see Kong in the first 90 minutes.

The sauropod scene was one of the worst, way overdone and the physics were too nonsensical to make the scene look realistic. I thought it looked bad even in 2005, it certainly doesn't hold up now. Kong fighting the V-rexes in the vines was ridiculous too. We didn't need all that, Jackson should have toned it down a notch or two.

suspsy

I rather liked the 2005 KK film, but KSI blew it away completely. Better design for Kong, better monsters, better fight scenes, better cast, better everything.

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on May 18, 2020, 02:12:57 AM
I rather liked the 2005 KK film, but KSI blew it away completely. Better design for Kong, better monsters, better fight scenes, better cast, better everything.

I didn't mind the design for the 2005 Kong but I would have to watch it again in order to compare it to KSI. What really sold the 2005 Kong for me was the world building (Skull Island itself), the personality given to Kong (thanks to Andy Serkis), and the relationship between Kong and Ann that I felt was handled very well. I don't feel like KSI fleshed Kong out enough as a character so in that aspect I feel like Kong 2005 is superior.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on May 18, 2020, 01:26:48 PM

I didn't mind the design for the 2005 Kong but I would have to watch it again in order to compare it to KSI. What really sold the 2005 Kong for me was the world building (Skull Island itself), the personality given to Kong (thanks to Andy Serkis), and the relationship between Kong and Ann that I felt was handled very well. I don't feel like KSI fleshed Kong out enough as a character so in that aspect I feel like Kong 2005 is superior.

You know, as much as I prefered KSI, I also noticed they didn't delve much, at all really, into the 'relationship' between Kong and 'the girl' which has always been a central point to his character. Maybe they are saving it for Godzilla vs. Kong...

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 18, 2020, 03:16:11 PM

You know, as much as I prefered KSI, I also noticed they didn't delve much, at all really, into the 'relationship' between Kong and 'the girl' which has always been a central point to his character. Maybe they are saving it for Godzilla vs. Kong...

I got the impression that they wanted to tell a different story, one that would tie into the Monsterverse, and that rehashing the plot of the other Kong movies (for the 4th time) wasn't their motivation and would derail from the story they wanted to tell. They wanted to make a movie with King Kong in it but not a re-make of the movie King Kong. If that makes sense. I was happy with the result, it was new and refreshing. I didn't need a relationship between Kong and a lady and honestly I think the 2005 movie excelled with that aspect anyway.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on May 18, 2020, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 18, 2020, 03:16:11 PM

I got the impression that they wanted to tell a different story, one that would tie into the Monsterverse, and that rehashing the plot of the other Kong movies (for the 4th time) wasn't their motivation and would derail from the story they wanted to tell. They wanted to make a movie with King Kong in it but not a re-make of the movie King Kong. If that makes sense. I was happy with the result, it was new and refreshing. I didn't need a relationship between Kong and a lady and honestly I think the 2005 movie excelled with that aspect anyway.

Yeah, I was also glad they didn't go that route again.

bmathison1972

I just want this Monsterverse to get over with so Toho can go back to making Godzilla films (it is my understanding Toho cannot release Godzilla films while the MV movies are being put out?). I really liked Shin Godzilla and thought it would make a great Toho 'relaunch'.

stargatedalek

Shin Godzilla came out right in the middle of Monsterverse releases, so it seems unlikely there is a licensing conflict. Perhaps Toho is waiting for Legendary to release more movies so they can gauge the potential market?

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 20, 2020, 08:05:33 PM
Shin Godzilla came out right in the middle of Monsterverse releases, so it seems unlikely there is a licensing conflict. Perhaps Toho is waiting for Legendary to release more movies so they can gauge the potential market?

yes...because it was already in production, but it is the last one allowed until after 2020 (which is when Monsterverse was supposed to be wrapped up). Toho's contract with Legendary prohibits them from releasing any films until Legendary is done with the Monsterverse films.

Gwangi

From what I understand Toho is indeed waiting for the Monsterverse series to come to an end. Shin Godzilla was apparently the highest grossing film in Japan the year it came out so they'll certainly be making more once they have the chance. The plan is to do an MCU style monsterverse of their own and not a sequel to Shin Godzilla. Feel free to fact check me on all of this, lol.