Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Spotted Dolphin (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)  (Read 1161 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Spotted Dolphin (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »
And another WS Sealife figure! :) This time it's a walk-around of an older, retired figure that's probably not too easy to find anymore. So here comes the Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife Spotted Dolphin, item No. 2758-29. This is an old release, stamped 1996. It is most likely meant to represent the Atlantic Spotted Dolphin, Stenella frontalis (Cuvier, 1829). However, this species is very similar to the Pantropical Spotted Dolphin, Stenella attenuata (Gray, 1846), and the figure is a bit too generic to clearly identify it as an Atlantic instead of a Pantropical Spotted Dolphin. Total length of the figure is 133 mm so the scale is between approx. 1:13 and 1:17. Human figure (Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli by Hallmark) is approx. 1:16.5 - 1:17 scale. The Spotted Dolphin figure is a bit on the chubby side and less detailed than newer WS Sealife figures but it is not too often that we see a dolphin figure that is not made to represent the ubiquitous (in figure form) Tursiops truncatus. Stenella frontalis is distributed in the tropical and temperate Atlantic but the global population is currently unknown which is why IUCN classifies its conservation status as "Data Deficient".

CetaceanFan

• I'm a Sperm Whale at heart, yet I collect figures
    • View Profile
Re: Spotted Dolphin (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:21:48 AM »
Nice figure overall, but I feel like the mouth is a bit too thick and short.