News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What are your favorite Cetacean figures? by CetaceanFan

Started by CetaceanFan, February 08, 2017, 08:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CetaceanFan

This topic is for people to list their favorite Cetacean figures
(photos allowed)
Also i'm going to post my list a little later.

brontodocus

Phew, there are so many really good ones. :) But I have to say my favourite one is still the Kaiyodo Mega Sofubi Advance Blue Whale. Not only for its accuracy or detail quality but also because it's a huge model that allows comparison with so many other figures that are in the 1:30 to 1:40 scale range (e.g. many dinosaur figures or elephants). Other than that I'd say the baleen whales from the Colorata Marine Mammals DX box are all excellent. Safari Ltd made wonderful whale models for their Monterey Bay Aquarium series although not all of them are of the same quality. My favourite MBA whales are the Humpback and Sperm Whale. The old Schleich Sea Animals 1:32 series had some excellent figures which were sculpted by Maia & Borges in Portugal and their Humpback, Minke, Grey, and Sperm Whales are all wonderful models. The new Safari Ltd WS Sealife Right Whale has also become an instant favourite for me.

CetaceanFan

Yep, you just listed the Cetacean figures that I wanted to list a little later (because i've became a bit busy recently).
But since I have some extra time right now, i'm going to list a couple more figures that I also really like.
All of Papo's Cetacean Figures are accurate and are one of my most favorites.
Favorite Co has some nice Whale and Dolphin figures (Sperm whale, Humpback, Pacific White-sided Dolphin, and Killer Whale)
Recur also has some nice Cetaceans like their Sperm whale, Fin whale, Beluga, and Orca or Killer whale.
AAA has some nice old and vintage Whale figures like Blue whale w/ closed mouth, Blue whale w/ open mouth, Right whale, and their newer Killer whale is also pretty good.
Collecta has some very accurate and detailed models of Cetaceans too, like Pygmy Sperm whale, Beluga whale, Pacific White-sided dolphin, Sperm whale, and Killer whale.
Yujin's Fin whale model is also very accurate but small.

BlueKrono

I can only choose the Happy Kin Right Whale Dolphin. Hopefully I will acquire it someday.
I like turtles.

CetaceanFan

Yeah that's the one that I forgot to add in to my list.  :P

bmathison1972

I like the cetaceans with barnacles on them--because, like me, those cetaceans are collecting arthropods!!  8) :P ;D

CetaceanFan

;D  :)) That's a good one friend!
And yes that's true, and I also like those types of whales.

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 10, 2017, 03:55:00 AM
I like the cetaceans with barnacles on them--because, like me, those cetaceans are collecting arthropods!!  8) :P ;D
Hehe, I might recommend you a few nice Right Whale figures then. Your collection will never be complete without whale lice or barnacles parasitising on whales! ;D

CetaceanFan

Quote from: brontodocus on February 10, 2017, 09:19:37 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 10, 2017, 03:55:00 AM
Hehe, I might recommend you a few nice Right Whale figures then. Your collection will never be complete without whale lice or barnacles parasitising on whales! ;D
That is very true my friend!

widukind

There are a lot of beautieful and unusual Cetaceans, but i think the solid Brydes whale and the Risso dolphin made by Kaiyodo are my favourites.

CetaceanFan

Yep, I agree widukind those are also some pretty nice models of unusual Cetaceans.  ;D

Isidro

My favourite cetacean figures are the next:
a) Those that I have: CollectA's ganges river dolphin, CollectA's pygmy sperm whale, Safari LTD's vaquita, CBIOV's finless porpoise

b) The Safari Dolphin TOOB (almost all its species), that I reject just due to the very small size, but otherwise they're perfect and dreamed species

c) Certain species that seems impossible to get for me (kinda "holy grails"): Happy Kin Toys baiji, Happy Kin Toys northern right whale-dolphin (tough the southern one is my favourite delphinid ever), Happy Kin Toys strap-toothed whale, and the large version of Play Visions hourglass dolphin.

d) those species that I keep in my wishlist for future purchase. They're not so exciting species, but enough good in quality for add them to my collection: Mojo Fun's humpback whale, Maia & Borges's common dolphin, Safari LTD's blue whale, Safari LTD's right whale, and CollectA's Blainville's toothed whale. I saw the last one for sale at the gift shop of a natural history museum, but rejected it due to the heavy white spotting. After that, I learned that this species can indeed have such spotting! :( :( :( so I regret to not have bought it... But it will be included in my next online purchase (this summer maybe) :)
In this same category are also some figures that I already have (not so exciting species, but very well done models: Sperm whale, bownead whale, killer whale and Pacific white-sided dolphin, all of them from CollectA :)

bmathison1972

I haven't focused on whales yet, but I have a wishlist built. I was going to collect standard-sized whales but TOOB-sized dolphins (with few exceptions for the latter). I was having a difficult time deciding on a humpback; @Isidro when you said you liked the Mojo humpback do you mean their standard or deluxe figure? I am afraid the latter is too big for me.

Isidro

I don't know if it's the standar or deluxe figure, but in my wishlist database it says that measures 24,5 cm lenght. From all the many humpback done by lots of brands, this one is maybe the one that convince me more regarding colour pf pectoral fins, tough this is an extremely variable character in the real animal.

FlaffyRaptors

My favourites include:
Happy Kin Baiji and Right whale dolphin.
Safari Sei whale.

I want to get the CollectA pygmy sperm whale, Minke, and Blainville's Beaked whale. Along with Safari's Right whale and CBIOV's finless porpoises.

Are there any other high quality and accurate whale figures you guys recommend? I'm looking to collect regular non-mini sized plastic figures.
CollectA's sperm whale looks nice, how well does the figure hold up to it's counterparts?

Isidro

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 05, 2019, 03:23:34 PM
My favourites include:

If you have any idea of how to get them, I'm crazy searching for them!

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 05, 2019, 03:23:34 PMAre there any other high quality and accurate whale figures you guys recommend? I'm looking to collect regular non-mini sized plastic figures.

Just the ones that I mentioned in my previous post.

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 05, 2019, 03:23:34 PMCollectA's sperm whale looks nice, how well does the figure hold up to it's counterparts?

It's a masterpiece and could be easily the best sperm whale in the trade. Here together with other figures that you mentioned and that belong to my collection: the CollectA's pygmy sperm whale and the CBIOV finless porpoise, so you can compare sizes.

cachalote.jpg
cachalote2.jpg

FlaffyRaptors

Quote from: Isidro on July 06, 2019, 03:16:18 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 05, 2019, 03:23:34 PM
My favourites include:

If you have any idea of how to get them, I'm crazy searching for them!

I found them in local stores here in Hong Kong. Strange how they aren't really available anywhere on the internet. I've also found the set with the Risso's dolphin and Strap toothed whale.
Is HappyKin's strap tooth the only one on the market? Surprising to see so many bizarre cetaceans go unnoticed by toymaker.

And also thanks for the comparison pics, I'm definitely looking forward to acquiring the CollectA sperm whale now.

Isidro

Thanks! Maybe if you find these figures for cheap in a local store you can buy and send it to me? I would pay the cost + shipping cost of course, I assume that is not very expensive for just two figures from Hong Kong to Spain.
Also, could you tell me the measurements of both figures? Are they to scale with the strap-toothed whale?
I was unaware of the Risso's dolphin from Happy Kin! o you have it in your collection? I would love to see images and know the measurements and then probably will add it to my wishlist!

Yes, that strap-toothed whale is the only one in the market. I was enough fortunate to get it from a collector in this forum - the figure is impossible to buy online here!

It happens with all animal groups, not only cetaceans. Well known species by general public are always represented, but more obscure species are usually not made into figurine, no matter how spectacular, bizarre or atonishing is it.

The CollectA's sperm whale is definitely a must have. It's perfect in every detail: the asymmetrical spiracle, the eyes, the genital aperture, the fins, and even, the scars of giant squids around its mouth!

FlaffyRaptors

Quote from: Isidro on July 08, 2019, 03:55:13 PM
Thanks! Maybe if you find these figures for cheap in a local store you can buy and send it to me?

Unfortunately the box sets that contain the Baiji and Whale dolphin are out of stock. I'll try to keep an eye out, but this local store doesn't restock regularly, nor does it usually restock the same items.

I was unaware of the Risso's dolphin from Happy Kin! o you have it in your collection? I would love to see images and know the measurements and then probably will add it to my wishlist!

I'd be happy to take some comparison shots. I don't know much about them being in scale with each other or not, since I'm not usually concerned with a specific scale when collecting figures.

FlaffyRaptors

Baji: 10.5 cm
Risso's: 12cm
Whale dolphin: 12cm
Strap tooth: 13.5 cm