Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Mako Shark, 2017 release (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)  (Read 1901 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Mako Shark, 2017 release (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« on: February 08, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
Here is a walk-around of the Safari Wild Safari Sealife 2017 (Shortfin) Mako Shark, Isurus oxyrinchus (Rafinesque, 1810); item No. 2019-29. Only slightly longer than the 2014 CollectA Shortfin Mako, the total length of this figure is 167 mm (TL) and 152 (FL= Fork Length), so the scale is between approx. 1:16 and 1:26. The human figure (Freddie the Free Diver by Safari Ltd) is approx. 1:22.5 - 1:24 scale. It's an elegant figure which has one flaw, though, the lateral keel on the caudal peduncle is too faint for a lamnid shark. Like many other larger shark species this active and fast predator has been seriously depleted in numbers and IUCN lists it as "Vulnerable".

The 2017 Mako Shark is not the first release of this species within the WS Sealife line, though. Previously there was the similar sized, now long retired old version which looks like this:

CetaceanFan

• I'm a Sperm Whale at heart, yet I collect figures
    • View Profile
Re: Mako Shark, 2017 release (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
Besides Cetaceans, I also very love sharks and rays and I have to say that this model is just magnificent and looks much more like a Mako than a Great White like the other older model.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
It's interesting that the later CollectA Mako shark has a similar pose to the old Safari one.

I agree that Safari has made a very nice shark, but aside from the keel, it also feels like it should be toothier. At least they made the teeth distinct and narrow though.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
Thanks, CetaceanFan and Sean! :)
It's interesting that the later CollectA Mako shark has a similar pose to the old Safari one.

I agree that Safari has made a very nice shark, but aside from the keel, it also feels like it should be toothier. At least they made the teeth distinct and narrow though.
Yes, both figures have a similar upward curve of their bodies. Considering the teeth, well, there could have been more of them indeed but I wonder if more of these long teeth wouldn't have caused problems with getting the figure out of the mold since they are also pointing backwards.