News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Started by bmathison1972, January 11, 2017, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

Very great! Which of these is the small figure over the rock in the center, and how much it measures?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on January 19, 2020, 03:49:36 PM
Very great! Which of these is the small figure over the rock in the center, and how much it measures?

@Isidro the smallest is the original Kaiyodo Chocoegg Animatales Series 2 figure. It measures 5.3 cm long.

Isidro

Thanks! if it's more or less, half for the carapace and half for the telson, then it's near the maximum size that I could accept for a horseshoe. I will look for it! :)

bmathison1972

Revisiting the emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator (Koch, 1842), new for 2020 by Mojo Fun!

For a complete review of this figure, please check out my blogpost: http://animaltoyforum.com/blog/2020/02/05/emperor-scorpion-wildlife-by-mojo-fun/

bmathison1972

A dust mite, Dermatophagoides sp. by an unknown Chinese manufacturer. I have a feeling the seller (AliExpress) is also the manufacturer; I emailed them a while ago, but have yet to hear back.

Here it is with the only other dust mite figure I am aware of, the rather cartoony offering by Play Visions:

EDIT: there is another dust mite sold as publicity material by Zyrtec: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=16.msg20683#msg20683

Thanks to stemturtle reminding me about it, i just ordered one on eBay :)

Advicot

That really makes my skin crawl  :P
Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Revisiting the head louse, Pediculus humanus capitis De Geerm 1767. This is another from that unknown Chinese manufacturer, like the aforementioned dust mite and leech.

stemturtle

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2020, 08:33:39 PM
Revisiting the head louse, Pediculus humanus capitis De Geerm 1767. This is another from that unknown Chinese manufacturer, like the aforementioned dust mite and leech.

Your photo makes it easy to tell the head louse from the body louse. ;)  Thanks for the ID.

Advicot

Really very creepy, especially as it is on a person  :o

Advicot

bmathison1972

This is not a new figure, but rather a correction. This figure is from the Animal Kaiser collection by Bandai. I have had this figure for a couple years and assumed it was just another emperor scorpion. Turns out, it is a Tanzanian red-clawed scorpion (Pandinus cavimanus), making it one of the rare examples of a Pandinus figure specifically marketed as something other than P. imperator!!!

Isidro

It's marketed as such species? From the image one only can say that is a generic scorpion not attributable to even a family. And badly done too (the chelae are in inverted position)

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on July 04, 2020, 08:32:38 AM
It's marketed as such species? From the image one only can say that is a generic scorpion not attributable to even a family. And badly done too (the chelae are in inverted position)

yes it is marketed as such (by common name)

bmathison1972

Speaking of Pandinus cavimanus, I finaly acquired the Takara Tomy A.R.T.S figure from their Scorpion collection. This figure has eluded me for years. It was the 'secret' or 'chase' figure in the set:

As you can see, it is merely a repaint of the P. imperator from the same set:

Advicot

Gorgeous figure I might try and get hold of this one

bmathison1972

Most of CollectA's 2020 arthropod lineup (the horseshoe crab wasn't available yet):

1. black widow, Latrodectus mactans.
Not marketed at the species level, but this is the go-to species unless otherwise indicated. A fine sculpt, although the eye arrangement is not correct (an all too common issue with spider toys). It is not far off, however, so the designer may have been making a good-faith attempt. Leg span 11.0 cm by 12.5 cm.

2. centipede, Scolopendra sp.
An impressive figure at 16.5 cm (total figure length, not measured down the back). There are A LOT of species in this genus, so a definitive species-level identification is probably not possible.

3. trilobite, †Redlichia rex.
An impressive sculpt, and a new/unique species! Figure measures 8.2 cm, fairly similar to the Bullyland trilobite

4. lastly, the Mini Insects and Spiders! Want to see what's in the box? Well, you will have to wait for my Blog review of the set (which I hope to be able to put together in the next couple days).

bmathison1972

Today, thanks to a very generous trade with NMR_Okapi, my insect collection added 10 figures and NINE new species!!!

First up, the Play Visions paper wasp. I was only missing four PV arthropods; now I have only three to get. This figure is simply marked 'paper wasp' but I am sure it represents Polistes dorsalis, based on the color and predominance of North American species in the set.

Next, a bunch of Wing Mau (previously mis-associated as XX) beetles. Wow, I bought the few I had years ago. I never thought I would ever see any again! NMR_Okapi gave me 9 more in the set. Which means of the set of 24, I now only need TWO more!!!!

Left to right, top to bottom:
Calosoma scrutator
Cicindela campestris
Cotinis nitida
Adalia bipunctata, dark morph
Pyrochroa coccinea - this must be the only figure of a pyrochroid!
Rutpela (ex: Strangalia) maculata
Leptinotarsa decimlineata
Cassida viridis
Chrysochus auratus

bmathison1972

A new species for me, the must beetle Aromia moschata (Linnaeus, 1758) by Wing Mau. This also means I have COMPLETED the Wing Mau beetle series (I received the typical morph of Adalia bipunctata in the lot as well, but didn't image it). I plan on reviewing the complete set for the Blog in the week ahead.

Advicot

bmathison1972

I recently bought some Wing Mau snakes from NMR_Okapi and he threw in for free, and as a total surprise, a NEW SPECIES of arthropod for me, the Amazonian giant centipede, Scolopendra gigantea Linnaeus, 1758 by K&M International, part of the Venomous Adventure Nature Tube (1998). The bottom of the figure is marked 'giant Peruvian centipede', an alternative common name for this species.