News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Started by bmathison1972, January 11, 2017, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

The gulf fritillary, Agraulis vanillae. When I was a beginning insect collector years ago in Arizona, this was one of the most common species in my neighborhood!

One figure, a magnet by Doug Walpus Art Studio.

bmathison1972

White admirals in the genus Limentis.

I. The white admiral, Limentis arthemis.

II. The Eurasian white admiral, Limentis camilla.
Also a magnet figure, by Koro Koro.

bmathison1972

The golden-banded skipper, Autochthon cellus. Skippers are rarely made in figure form; I know of only one actual PVC figure  (a larva by Kaiyodo) other than these magnet figures.

One, a magnet figure by Doug Walpus Art Studio.

widukind

bmathison1972

The first amphipod figure ever made, well to my knowledge, the deep-sea pram bug, Phronima sedentaria. This unique figure is made by Ikimon Co. (formerly, Kitan Club) - Nature Techni Colour (Deep Sea Creatures).

bmathison1972

Soft Ticks (family Argasidae).

One figure, by Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks). This figure is marked 'chigger' but this is clearly not a chigger (besides, chiggers are only parasitic in the larval stage, which would only have 6 legs). The morphology is generic (and many members of this family look similar), but probably represents Ornithodoros or Carios.

bmathison1972

The dust mite, Dermatophagoides farinae.

One figure, and what must be the ONLY figure of a dust mite, by Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks). Kind of cartoony but interesting.

bmathison1972

Black fly (family Simuliidae). Another fairly generic fly by Funrise Toys (World of Nature Insect Collection), but marketed specifically as a lack flyb.

widukind

bmathison1972

I have about 15 new species to add, so time to update 'Bug of the Day' with new species.

First up, the Arran brown, Erebia ligea.

bmathison1972

Blues in the genus Plebejus.

I. Lupine blue, Plebejus lupini.

II. Melissa blue, Plebejus melissa.

bmathison1972

The batwing coral crab, Carpilius corallinus.

One figure, by K&M International (Coral Reef Nature Tube). This is an ID of mine, based on the morphology and the association with coral reefs.

bmathison1972

The checkered white, Pontia protodice.

bmathison1972

The blue admiral, Kaniska canace.

One figure, a magnet by Koro Koro.

bmathison1972

Another butterfly (about half of the new species are lepidopterans), the holly blue, Celastrina argiolus.

One figure, a magnet by Koro Koro.

bmathison1972

The Polyphemus moth, Antheraea polyphemus.

bmathison1972

The virescent green metallic bee, Agapostemon virescens. This is, to my knowledge, the only figure of a sweat bee (family Halictidae).

One figure, by Play Visions (Bees, Wasps, and Hornets).

bmathison1972

Desert scorpions in the genus, Hadrurus.

I. Arizona hairy scorpion, Hadrurus arizonensis.
One figure, a model kit by AMT/Ertl (Gigantics).

II. Desert scorpions, Hadrurus spp..
Two figures, both by Safari LTD (and both probably modeled after H. arizonensis, above).
1. Desert TOOB
2. Hidden Kingdom Insects

bmathison1972

The giant deep-sea ostracod, Gigantocypris agassizii.

Two figures, both by Ikimon - Nature Techni Colour (Deep Sea Creatures, 1 and 2). These two figures, both new this year from 2017, are to my knowledge the only figures of Ostracoda! However, I think the prototype set for Safari LTD's Deep Sea TOOB contained this species; early images of the figures in the tube showed a round orange object, reminiscent of Gigantocypris. Whatever it was, it did not make it to the final product. The orange figure was in the first set, followed up by the clear figure in the second set.

bmathison1972

The Madagascan sunset moth, Chrysiridia rhipheus.

One figure, a magnet by Doug Walpus Art Studio. I am surprised this species has not been represented previously in toy/model form.