News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Blaine's Bug of the Day

Started by bmathison1972, January 11, 2017, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

An Asian weevil, Hyposipalus gigas. For being one of the largest families of insects, let alone animals as a whole, weevils are rarely made in toy/figure form.

One figure of H. gigas, by Yujin (Insects of Japan).

host image

bmathison1972

...and while we are on the weevils, here are miscellaneous Curculionidae. All are from unknown manufacturers, except #1, which is by AAA.

host image

These three, also by an unknown manufacturer(s), show up in toy sets in various color forms.

host image

bmathison1972

...and some miscellaneous weevils in the related family, Brentidae. I cannot place these, but they look familiar.

1. unknown manufacturer
2. Imperial Toys (Bugs n' Jugs)

temporary image hostingcertificity.com

bmathison1972

The black-and-white citrus longhorn, Anoplophora chinensis.

1. Rement
2. Hayakwa Toys (Insects Collection - Special)

hosting imagecertificity.com

1. Boxed figure by an unknown Japanese manufacturer [marketed as A. malasiaca]. [added 11/23/2017]

bmathison1972

The forest leopard, Phalanta eurytis.

One figurine, by Franklin Mint (Butterflies of Paradise).

img hostcertificity.com

bmathison1972

Another enigmatic prehistoric marine arthropod, Sidneyia inexpectans.

One figure, by Safari LTD (Cambrian TOOB).

free uploadercertificity.com

bmathison1972

The common map, Cyrestis thyodamas.

One figure, a most interesting larva, by Kaiyodo (Capsule Q Museum - Caterpillars).

picture sharecertificity.com

bmathison1972

The red-banded snapping shrimp, Alpheus randalli. This species forms a symbiotic relationship with goby fish in the genus Amblyeleotris, and the two figures I have seen of this species [one depicted here] are both associated with this fish.

This figure is by Colorata (Coral Reef Fish) and is technically an accessory to the fish figure...

adult image uploadcertificity.com

bmathison1972

Bulldog ant in the genus Myrmecia. Surprisingly there are not more of these formidable creatures made!

One figure, by 4D Master (Insect King).

image hosting servicescertificity.com

bmathison1972

The Bhutan glory (and one of my favorites made in this line), Bhutanitis lidderdalei.

One figure, by Franklin Mint (Butterflies of Paradise).

image urlcertificity.com

bmathison1972

OK...I am officially done with species identifiable to at least the genus level. There are still some 'miscellaneous' remnants to post, but no new taxa until I get new taxa...

stemturtle

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 16, 2017, 10:25:05 PM
OK...I am officially done with species identifiable to at least the genus level. There are still some 'miscellaneous' remnants to post, but no new taxa until I get new taxa...

Bmathison1972, thank you for posting IDs of  your collection. Completing Blaine's Bug of the Day was a herculean task. I have referred to your work many times, and will certainly continue to do so.

bmathison1972

Thanks stemturtle; glad you are enjoying it and finding it useful. By the way now that I have everything photographed I will work on taxonomy-based posts. This was just the motivation to actually get everything imaged :)

Today I edited Dorcus, Dynastes, Mesotopus, and the barnacles to reflect recent acquisitions.

bmathison1972

This weekend I have updated the lepidopteran genera Actias, Polyommatus, Evenus, Aglais, Papilio, Eurema, Appias, Vanessa, Pieris, Lycaena, Heliconius, Colias, Siproeta, Parnassius, Cymothoe, Attacus, Samia, Battus, Junonia, Citheronia, Hyalophora, and Protographium to accommodate magnet models by Doug Walpus Art Studio.

New genera will be posted in due time...

BlueKrono

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 16, 2017, 09:56:17 PM
...and some miscellaneous weevils in the related family, Brentidae. I cannot place these, but they look familiar.

1. unknown manufacturer

Trachelophorus giraffa?
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 14, 2017, 01:00:29 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 16, 2017, 09:56:17 PM

1. unknown manufacturer

Trachelophorus giraffa?

No, T. giraffa is a member of Attelabidae, not Brentidae. I have already posted T. giraffa here on BOTD:

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 09, 2017, 08:38:25 PM
Leaf-rolling weevils in the family Attelabidae.

I. Rose curculio, Merhynchites bicolor.
One figure, by an unknown manufacturer. This is a tentative ID of mine, based on its resemblance to M. bicolor on a poster of beetles that served as the inspiration for the XX series; this may even be an XX knock-off, but I do not know the full extent of what XX made.

screen capture freeware

II. Giraffe weevil, Trachelophorus giraffa.
1. unknown manufacturer
2. unknown manufacturer
3. Imperial Toys (Bugs n' Jugs) [this might represent another species, but I have a feeling the green color is just artistic license]

screen capture freeware

bmathison1972

Most of the additions for a while will probably be Lepidoptera, pending other new arrivals...

Next up, Afrotropical moon moths in the genus, Argema.

I. African moon moth, Argema mimosae.
One figure, a magnet by Doug Walpus Art Studio.

free upload pictures

II. Madagascan moon moth, Argema mittrei.

free upload pictures

bmathison1972

The Promethea moth, Callosamia promethea.

Two figures, both by Doug Walpus Art Studio. These figures represent the sexual dimorphism of the species, with the dark male (1) and the paler female (2).

image hosting 12mb

widukind

bmathison1972

The common wood nymph, Cercyonis pegala.

image url