Author Topic: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection  (Read 2234 times)

Isidro

• View Profile
Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 05:05:49 PM »
Hahahaha, I do not either any of these things and however I have little margin for buy figures. But I'm now addicted to (more expensive) Japanese figures!
If you have a ruler in cm, could you put it aside of the figures that I mentioned and show me by PM? Many thanks for yound kindness if you do :)

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
Hahahaha, I do not either any of these things and however I have little margin for buy figures. But I'm now addicted to (more expensive) Japanese figures!
If you have a ruler in cm, could you put it aside of the figures that I mentioned and show me by PM? Many thanks for yound kindness if you do :)

Just so you know, there are at least two ribbon Eels, the Colorata and a Kaiyodo.

There's also a really good dragon moray from Kaiyodo!

Also...good luck getting the lancetfish cheap. I got it when it first came out, and the prices haven't changed. That series didn't seem to last long.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:43:13 PM by sbell »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 12:02:49 AM »
Time for some primates! I have had these for a while, and had the pics for a while as well. I am waiting for a couple more to come in, but thought I would post these anyway since the images are ready! This is not a recent 'focus' group, I just found myself getting a jump start on primates (since so many are rare or unique species in toy/figure form) and thought I had might as well, get what was readily available.

NOTE: depth of field might affect how the figures appear to scale next to one another!

Suborder Strepsirrhini (lemurs, lorises, etc.). In the absence any of the Play Visions figures, I have two for starters:

1. ring-tailed lemur, Lemur catta (CollectA, 2018)
2. black-and-white ruffed lemur, Varecia variegata (Papo, 2018)

Haplorhini: Platyrrhini (New World Monkeys):

1. red-faced spider monkey, Ateles paniscus (Safari LTD, 1998)
I almost passed on this figure, as I am not crazy about the paint job on the face, but it can serve as a placeholder until something better comes along.
2. common marmoset, Callithrix jacchus (Safari LTD - Primates TOOB, 2019)
3. golden lion tamarin, Leontopithecus rosalia (Papo, 2018)
Smaller figures are available by Safari LTD (their original Monkeys and Apes TOOB), Furuta, and possibly Play Visions (I can't remember), but this is the best sculpted!
4. emperor tamarin, Saguinus imperator (Safari LTD - Primates TOOB, 2019)
5. red-handed tamarin, Saguinus midas (Safari LTD - Primates TOOB, 2019)
6. common squirrel monkey, Saimiri sciureus (Schleich)
7. black howler monkey, Alouatta caraya (Safari LTD, 2017)

Haplorhini: Cercopithecidae (Old World Monkeys):

1. Diana monkey, Cercopithecus diana (CollectA, 2014)
2. Japanese macaque, Macaca fuscata (Kaiyodo - Natural Monuments of Japan, 2002)
All of the figures of this species that are readily available are either from Japan or in Safari's 2019 Primates TOOB. As such, they are all going to scale much smaller than other Old World monkeys shown here. It was a tough choice between this figure and one from Kitan Club.
3. mandrill, Mandrillus sphinx (Papo, 2011)
I was set on the 2019 Safari figure, until it was revealed on the STS forum how big it was. I thank Roger for suggesting the Papo version! Great sculpt and good size!
4. proboscis monkey, Nasalis larvatus (Mojo Fun, 2013)
5. Guinea baboon, Papio papio (CollectA)
The figure was not marketed at the species level, but given that it is marketed as a male, the color and lack of a large mane should rule-out the Hamadryas baboon. I almost passed on this figure; online publicity photos appeared a little too cartoony and anthropomorphized, but maybe it can serve as a placeholder until something better comes along.
6. Celebes crested macaque, Macaca nigra (Mojo Fun, 2014)
7. golden snub-nosed monkey, Rhinopithecus roxellana (Safari LTD, 2019)
This figure scales a bit big compared to others shown here, but the sculpt and paint make it worth it. If you want a smaller version, several Japanese manufacturers have made them (and someone on STS has sculpted a family, but I cannot remember if it is available to purchase or not).

Haplorhini: Hylobatidae (gibbons) and Hominidae (the great apes):

1. white-handed gibbon, Hylobates lar (Papo, 2013)
2. eastern gorilla, Gorilla beringei (Schleich, 2017)
It was a tough choice between this figure and the one by Safari.
3. western gorilla, Gorilla gorilla (CollectA, 2006)
4. common chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes (Safari LTD, 2016)
I have the bonobo from Safari's 2019 Primates TOOB, but it is too small for my taste. I will keep it on the back burner for now, in hopes it inspires a company to produce a standard-sized figure.
5. Gigantopithecus giganteus (Just Play - Disney's A Jungle Book, 2016)
This figure represents the character King Louie from the 2016 live action/CGI Disney movie, A Jungle Book. Interestingly, King Louie did not appear in Kipling's original stories; the character was created for the 1967 animated film by Disney and was represented by an orangutan. Then the movie was remade in 2016, they changed the character from an orangutan to Gigantopithecus as orangutans do not occur in India, but Gigantopithecus did. If we accept my species-level identification of G. giganteus which lived in India (the other species, G. blackii, is known from China), it scales well with the other big apes shown here!
6. Bornean orangutan, Pongo pygmaeus (Safari LTD, 2006)
7. Sumatran orangutan, Pongo abelii [community-based ID] (CollectA, 2015)
Is it just me, or does it look like the Sumatran orangutan is photo-bombing this pic? :)

Evolution of Man, by Safari LTD (Safariology, 2014).
A couple of these are cartoony, I will admit, but it is a great chance to get 5 hominids in one set. The older Bullyland set is probably better, but hard to come by these days.

1. Australopithecus afarensis
2. 'handy man', Homo habilis
3. 'erect man', Homo erectus
4. neanderthal, Homo neanderthalensis
5. modern human, Homo sapiens sapiens

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:24:12 AM by bmathison1972 »

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »
Nice selection of primates.
I like the Golden snub-nosed monkey by Safari. The back has more brown than gold.
About 2.25 inches tall, it is still smaller than the Oenux figure.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »
Nice selection of primates.
I like the Golden snub-nosed monkey by Safari. The back has more brown than gold.
About 2.25 inches tall, it is still smaller than the Oenux figure.

@stemturtle I was heavily influenced by your primate posts :-)

Isidro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
Very nice as always!
I don't have any lemur planned for future as they're all too big.
I was tempted to buy the Primates TOOB since the day of announcement, but I doubt a lot about it, as the only species that I want are just precisely the ones that you display here. The others are just too small.
This same black macaque was bought by me some days ago and just today it departed its way to my home. The diana monkey has been in my wishlist since ever and the snub nosed since they announced as new for this year.
I was unaware of the Papo's proboscis monkey. Thanks to your thread and seeing that it have a matching size with the others, I will add it now to my wishlist.
Honestly none of the primates excite me too much except the snub-nosed (I fell in love when they announced it), but probably I will end with a similar selection to yours in my own collection over the years (except extinct species, that I only collect if they're more recent than that).

stargatedalek

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
So many precious turtles and geckos. ;D

And that Colorata tripod fish, that's a thing of beauty.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Time for some of the hoofed mammals in the order Artiodactyla. Because of the large number of species in this group represented in toy/figure form, I decided to break them into three categories: 1) Bovidae, 2) Cetacea, and 3) Everything Else. This first post is the 'Everything Else', so the camels, deer, pics, hippos, etc.

Family Antilocarpidae (pronghorn).

The one extant species in this family, the proghorn, Antilocarpa americana (Mojo Fun, 2013).
I had considered the Safari figure, but the horns looked better sculpted on the Mojo figure. The paint is a bit bright, though.

Family Camelidae (camels, llamas, and related).

1. Bactrian camel, Camelus bactrianus (CollectA, 2017)
2. dromedary, Camelus dromedarius (Safari LTD, 2010)
2. llama, Llama glama (Safari LTD, 2010)
Yes, this llama is rather on the large size!

NOTE: no alpaca yet; I am holding out for the Mojo 2019 figure (or at least to see how it looks)

Family Cervidae (deer, moose)

1. moose, Alces alces (CollectA, 2009)
2. red deer, Cervus elaphus (Safari LTD, 2016)
3. fallow deer, Dama dama (CollectA, 2014)
4. Pere David's deer, Elaphurus davidianus (CollectA, 2018)
5. white-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus (CollectA, 2018)
6. caribou, Rangifer tarandus (CollectA, 2015)
I decided to pass, at least for now, on the domestic reindeer.

Family Giraffidae (giraffe, okapi)
1. giraffe, Giraffa camelopardis (Papo, 2018)
2. okapi, Okapia johnstoni (CollectA, 2012)

Family Hippopotamidae (hippos)
1. hippomotamus, Hippopotamus amphibius (CollectA, 2018)
2. pygmy hippopotamus, Choeropsis liberiensis (CollectA, 2014)

Familes Porcidae (pigs) and Tayassuidae (peccaries)
1. North Sulawesi babirusa, Babyrousa celebensis (CollectA, 2015)
I wanted to go with the Safari figure, but the CollectA one just looked a little better to me (same with the pyme hippo, above)
2. common warthog, Phacochoerus africanus (Papo, 2015)
3. red river hog, Potamochoerus porcus (CollectA, 2012)
4. wild boar, Sus scrofa scrofa (Safari LTD, 2015)
5. domestic pig, Sus scrofa domestica (Papo, 2010)
There are a lot of domestic pigs. I wanted to find one that looked good at a good size and did not come across as too anthropomorphized. I also considered the Safari 2019 large white pig and the 2019 CollectA sow (I probably would have gone with the CollectA figure had it been available already; I may get it yet).
6. javelina (collared peccary), Pecari tajacu (Safari LTD, 2014)

Lastly, some miscellaneous extinct hoofed animals (although only the Daeodon is in Artiodactyla).

1. Daeodon shoshoensis (Safari LTD, 2018)
2. Uintatherium anceps (Safari LTD, 2018)
3. Macrauchenia patachonica (Safari LTD, 2018)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:06:35 PM by bmathison1972 »

Isidro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
Absolutely wonderful as always, my dear friend!!!!  :D :D :D
I would like to have a proghorn, but both the Mojo and Safari figures are a bit too large for me compared with most of the CollectA antelopes. So I decided to don't buy one.
I have this Pere David's deer in my collection and this reindeer on my wishlist. I very recently added this fallow deer to my wishlist considering how well done is it, tough at the begin I didn't included it for being a "too well known" species. Maybe some day I will ending doing the same with this white-tailed deer, as it's a figure that always tempted me a bit somehow. The moose and reed deer are not species that I'm interested in, so I pass on them for my collection.
Surprised to see that your choices for giraffids was different to mine. I have the CollectA reticulated giraffe and the Papo okapi, so reversing brands with your models. But yours are equally superb too.
Both hippopotamus species are also in my wishlist (the common one just very recently added after checking that, of all the infinite hippo models done by tons of brands, this is the one that I like more and also the best matching size one).
I like suids very much, and I really like the accurateness of the CollectA babyrousa (not the Safari one) and the CollectA red river hog. But both figures are just too large for my tastes. So I will not buy them. The peccary tempted me a bit some weeks ago, but I'm not convinced, too thick legs, too slim body, so I finally passed on them. I don't collect extinct animals (except future exceptions for recently extinct ones), but that Macrauchenia is absolutely superb!!!!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:01:05 PM by Isidro »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 08:38:47 PM »
Thank you Isidro, happy you enjoy them :)

I found the hardest choices among the giraffe, moose, and domestic pig. The others were obvious choices. I was kinda surprised I went with the Safari (US Company) wild boar. Even though they are feral in the US, I thought a European company would interest me more haha. I like the javelina, it is a species I grew up with in Arizona (along with the pronghorn).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:43:59 PM by bmathison1972 »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blaie's Synoptic Animal Collection
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 12:32:29 AM »
I have gotten a few fishies lately, with the release of the Wild Water Series by Yowie USA (they have started showing up on eBay). So let's revisit some groups.

The newbies:
1. orange-striped shrimp goby, Stonogobiops yasha (For Corporation - Another Aquarium)
2. Atlantic wolffish, Anarhichas lupus (Yowie USA - Wild Water Series, 2019)
3. bigeye tuna, Thunnus obesus (Yowie USA - Wild Water Series, 2019)
4. Cape seahorse, Hippocampus capensis (Yowie USA - Wild Water Series, 2019)

Here is the goby with the fire goby by Yujin and the yellownose prawn goby by Colorata.

Here is the Cape seahorse with the crowned seahorse by Yujin.

Here is the Atlantic wolffish with the Bering wolffish by Kaiyodo.

Here is the tuna with a school of tuna and mackerel by Colorata (don't let the depth of field fool you, the Yowie figure is smaller than the two larger Colorata figures).

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 12:46:37 AM »
I haven't purchased off of Ebay in years...looks like I'm going to have to do some Yowies hunting!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 05:50:46 PM »
Revisiting the chameleons, with the addition of the strange-horned chameleon, Kinyongia xenorhina, by Yowie USA (Rescue Series). Photographed here with the previously-shown veiled chameleon by Kaiyodo.