Author Topic: Crabs (Play Visions: Habitat Earth)  (Read 3502 times)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Crabs (Play Visions: Habitat Earth)
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »
Review of the complete set of Crabs by Play Visions, Habitat Earth series (1996). Another in the taxonomically-diverse sets of animals released by Play Visions in the mid-late 1990s.

There are eight figures in the original Play Visions set, although knock-off sets often include a hermit crab that is not included here. At the time, most if not all of these were probably unique but several species have since been made (esp. by the Japanese gashapon-style manufacturers).

Each figure is a solid piece of PVC, approximately 25-30 mm across their greatest widths. They are marked with their common name, year (1996), and traditional PV logo.

On to the figures (in no particular order):

1. Spider Crab, Macrocheira kaempferi. Possibly the first figure of this species, it is well-represented now thanks mainly to the Japanese companies. I have figures by Epoch, Kaiyodo (Choco Q Animatales, Enoshima Aquarium, and Sendai Aquarium), Kitan Club (Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan), and Yujin. Plus, the Colorata Deep Sea Creatures figure is currently in the mail enroute to me.

2. Striped Shore Crab Pachygrapsus crassipes. A unique figure, related to the Sally lightfoot crab which has been made a few times.

3. Blue Crab Callinectes sapidus. Several portunid crabs related to this one have been made in figure form, but the only other one that I would comfortably assign to this species is the large figure by Safari LTD (Incredible Creatures).

4. Helmet Crab Telmessus cheiragonus. This to my knowlwedge one of the unique figures.

5. Purple Globe crab Randallia ornata. This is another unique one.

6. king crab, Paralithodes camtschaticus. This is another species that has been made several times by the Japanese manufactures. I have figures by Kaiyodo (Yasei Strap Figure Collection and Hokkaido Figure Winter Collection), Nihon Auto Toy, Epoch (Earth Life Journey), and Yujin.

7. fiddler crab, Uca sp. There is not enough detail to assign this to a given species, but among other manufacturers, I have five other species of Uca so it is reasonable to assume this is probably one of those.

8. 'pear crab'. This is the most baffling figure. Despite exhaustive internet searches I cannot find a match for this species. Many people in the online toy animal community have attributed this figure to various members of the Porcellanidae, and while I cannot argue with that, I have yet to find a species- or genus-level match. It is extremely well detailed so I am sure it was modeled after something legitimate but what? Who knows what book was referred to when someone said, 'hey make this one'  ;D O:-) C:-)

If ANYONE has a good idea, please share your thoughts here! Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:55:31 PM by bmathison1972 »

stemturtle

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Crabs (Play Visions: Habitat Earth)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:33:58 PM »
Genus level match for the Play Visions pear crab is Pyromaia on STS . No luck on species ID.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
Genus level match for the Play Visions pear crab is Pyromaia on STS . No luck on species ID.

I was aware of that ID, but unfortunately I cannot agree with it at the moment. The carapace shape is not correct. If you can find a representative that looks like that, please share the link or reference
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:16:30 PM by bmathison1972 »

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:17:08 PM »
Going purely by the shape and not the colours, I always thought it was closest to a spider decorator crab.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
Aw, finally I know which two ones I am still missing. :) While the "Pear Crab" is obviously not Pyromaia there is an interesting aspect about taking the figure's name into account (and Pyromaia sounds like it's possibly derived from Pyrus = pear and Maia, i.e. spider crab). I did an image search for all described porcellanid genera without any useful match. We should probably not exclusively focus on Porcellanidae to find an id for this one. The vernacular name "Pear Crab" indicates Inachidae or Inachoidae and I think we may be successful to search within those two families plus Epialtidae and Parthenopidae, so it should at least be within the Majoidea. I've found a few that come close but with no exact match yet. The best contenders so far were Criocarcinus superciliosus and Huenia heraldica and genus Pugettia, all belonging to Epialtidae, because all usually have lateral lobes behind the eyes (which seem to  be extremely variable at least in H. heraldica). But there could still be better matches and I'm not convinced the figure represents any of those either. When searching within Majoidea we should not pay too much attention to the size of the first legs with the chelae the figure is obviously a male but if we find images of a female those would be a lot smaller. The peculiar shape of the carapace is certainly the key to a correct identification.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
Aw, finally I know which two ones I am still missing. :) While the "Pear Crab" is obviously not Pyromaia there is an interesting aspect about taking the figure's name into account (and Pyromaia sounds like it's possibly derived from Pyrus = pear and Maia, i.e. spider crab). I did an image search for all described porcellanid genera without any useful match. We should probably not exclusively focus on Porcellanidae to find an id for this one. The vernacular name "Pear Crab" indicates Inachidae or Inachoidae and I think we may be successful to search within those two families plus Epialtidae and Parthenopidae, so it should at least be within the Majoidea. I've found a few that come close but with no exact match yet. The best contenders so far were Criocarcinus superciliosus and Huenia heraldica and genus Pugettia, all belonging to Epialtidae, because all usually have lateral lobes behind the eyes (which seem to  be extremely variable at least in H. heraldica). But there could still be better matches and I'm not convinced the figure represents any of those either. When searching within Majoidea we should not pay too much attention to the size of the first legs with the chelae the figure is obviously a male but if we find images of a female those would be a lot smaller. The peculiar shape of the carapace is certainly the key to a correct identification.

Thanks Andre, if anyone could take us down the right path I knew it would be you :). You have given us some taxa to try out (I had checked other Majoidea as well with no success...)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
Of these collection I only have the fiddler crab  ^-^.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:14:48 PM by Jetoar »
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »
I have re-uploaded these to Postimage.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal