News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Flying beetles (Epoch)

Started by Beetle guy, November 12, 2016, 04:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

Here is the serie of Epoch flying beetles.  The set contains 8 beetles: 
1. Allomyrina dichotoma, 2. Dynastes granti, 3. Eupatorus gracilicornis, 4. Chalcosoma caucasus, 5. Prosopocoilus giraffa
6. Hexarthrius parryi, 7. Lucanus maculifemoratus, 8. Scarabaeus typhon.

The Scarabaeus typhon 8 came as a "secret" figurine. The beetles are hold in the air by a plastic rod that is attached to a jungle themed base. The Scarabeus typhon is a loose figurine on a stand depicting sand rolling a ball of dung.

Epoch made different versions of this set, mainly finishing differs but the later versions (boxed) seem to be made with "worn out" molds or could be rip offs.  Luckily the D. granti 2 in the set I've got has the most realistic version of the thorax. In the other versions the D. granti has weird big black starlike dots on the thorax, which is not common for the species. Also this D. granti has the yellowish grey/white colouring instead of the later versions plain white.

The first version Epoch made as capsule toys (in the photo's) have great paintjobs and nice detail. The second versions (or rip offs) were sold in a box and contained the same figurines but less attractive paint (chalcosoma plain black for instance). And not so clear molds. Also while the Epoch ones need assembling (a bit) the other ones are allready glued together.  I do not know if the Scarabeus typhon is included in the boxed sets, but I think so, but not sure (I had a high gloss varnish version once.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

I just won this set! That dungie has been a Holy Grail figure for a while!

Interesting D. granti gets so much attention from the Japanese manufacturers, since it's endemic to the southwestern U.S. As a beetle collector originally from Arizona, I remember the first time I collected this species, in Sedona AZ back in 1989 (my senior year of high school).

brontodocus

Nice! :) They do look better than my set, indeed - I have one that contains the Dynastes granti with starlike marks on the pronotum. Luckily, it was a full one, though, including the Scarabaeus.
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 15, 2016, 02:33:30 AM
I just won this set! That dungie has been a Holy Grail figure for a while!

Interesting D. granti gets so much attention from the Japanese manufacturers, since it's endemic to the southwestern U.S. As a beetle collector originally from Arizona, I remember the first time I collected this species, in Sedona AZ back in 1989 (my senior year of high school).
Congrats, Blaine! :) I think D. granti is also more popular among beetle collectors than D. tityus for its longer horns.

Jetoar

Epoch have done a awesome work with this line  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

My set arrived today, after taking an extended vacation around the U.S. I have assembled the first one so far and quality-wise these are probably some of the best beetle figures ever. Nice and sturdy, even the wings! Everything needs to be assembled: head, pronotum, legs, both sets of wings, body, and base but it's worth it! Interestingly I have some Sega beetles in flight and only one of the species is duplicated here!

Mine does have the D. granti with the marks on the pronotum but that could just be to simulate the crackled texture their cuticle sometimes appears to have.

Would be nice if the bases were different, but at least thay are 'natural' bases.

I won't review the set since it is done here, but I may do an overview of dungies  ;D

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 14, 2016, 01:18:36 AM

Mine does have the D. granti with the marks on the pronotum but that could just be to simulate the crackled texture their cuticle sometimes appears to have.

I know bout  these crackled textures. I mend I was happy to get the on with the more common (I quess) thorax. I will post the two of them together here.

Beetle guy