News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2017

Started by AcroSauroTaurus, November 12, 2016, 05:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, didn't see any posts about it yet, so I thought I'd do the honors. ;) Obviously there are more to come. These are from Facebook, so the url's might change eventually.

Gypsy Mare

Curly Mare

Curly Foal

Mangalarga Marchador stallion

Tinker stallion

Male African Lion

Male White African Lion

Goat kid standing

Goat kid walking

Yellow Boxfish

Platypus

Secretary Bird

Bernese Mountain Dog

Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Peruvian Paso mare

Rocky Mountain mare

Bactrian Camel

Spanish Bull

Bowmouth Guitarfish

White Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger

Cameroon Sailfin Chameleon

[/quote]
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

Yay, thanks for posting! :) The Secretary bird and Ivory-billed Woodpecker are great new releases! 8)

sauroid

their lion is as regressive as the new Schleich lion tho.

Elephas Maximus

The woodpecker's feet are larger than in real life, and way too thick (thinner ones couldn't be problematic to achieve if still fused with perch)

sauroid

Quote from: Elephas Maximus on November 16, 2016, 11:31:13 PM
The woodpecker's feet are larger than in real life, and way too thick (thinner ones couldn't be problematic to achieve if still fused with perch)
very true. if the small figures of kaiyodo can manage to achieve that, i dont know why the major brands larger figures cant.

Rossano

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on November 12, 2016, 05:51:46 AM
Secretary Bird

I go mad for this wonderful animal, that in Italian is called "Serpentario", i.e. "Snaker", from the habit to hunt snakes, but here they are again those high threads of grass between the claws. I really don't like them, and even if I dislike a lot the alternative of the flat bases reprehesenting the soil, I dislike them even more. What is your opinion?

Elephas Maximus

The bird models which are free from fused base/perch plague are mostly penguins & ratites, and several other bird taxa with tail/wing points of support.
Manufacturers likely don't want to improve stability of models so they could stand on their own. 

An awesome alternative for secretary could be snake grabbed by one or both feet, its coils serving for support.
Same with many other birds & their prey species or carrion.

brontodocus

Quote from: Elephas Maximus on November 17, 2016, 10:34:26 PM
The bird models which are free from fused base/perch plague are mostly penguins & ratites, and several other bird taxa with tail/wing points of support.
Manufacturers likely don't want to improve stability of models so they could stand on their own. 

An awesome alternative for secretary could be snake grabbed by one or both feet, its coils serving for support.
Same with many other birds & their prey species or carrion.
Yes, that's how Colorata made their Secretary Bird. :) I see your point, they could have really made the feet better. However, I'd still get one, I'm still quite excited about their choice of species.

Elephas Maximus

Quote from: brontodocus on November 17, 2016, 10:41:46 PM
Yes, that's how Colorata made their Secretary Bird.
Checked it out, still the base & acrylic rod support are present. Larger snake could serve as base completely.

brontodocus

Quote from: Elephas Maximus on November 17, 2016, 10:44:32 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on November 17, 2016, 10:41:46 PM
Yes, that's how Colorata made their Secretary Bird.
Checked it out, still the base & acrylic rod support are present. Larger snake could serve as base completely.
That's possibly due to the fact that Colorata uses a rather pliable and soft PVC for their figures, I have some of their other sets. With the material CollectA uses the legs would probably not bend as easily as Colorata would. Could be something other major companies might get right, I'd love to see a Secretary Bird made by Safari Ltd!

AcroSauroTaurus

Heres some more!

Peruvian Paso mare

Rocky Mountain mare

Bactrian Camel

Spanish Bull

Bowmouth Guitarfish

White Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger

Cameroon Sailfin Chameleon
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

Chamaleon with the Secretary Bird are the best in the category of extant animals  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Great! Finally a Trioceros montium! 8) AcroSauroTaurus, I copied those into your first post, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

bmathison1972

just think how many more cool species they could make if they didnt waste PVC on ad nauseum varieties of horses...

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 19, 2016, 01:27:29 AM
just think how many more cool species they could make if they didnt waste PVC on ad nauseum varieties of horses...

Or repaints of big cats...

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on November 19, 2016, 02:00:26 AM

I was gonna say that too but held back...

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 19, 2016, 02:19:16 AM

I was gonna say that too but held back...

I don't hold back anymore. Be it Kaiyodo or Safari or CollectA, unless a repaint serves a true purpose (regional variation for teaching, different species, that sort of thing), it just seems like a ploy to sell the same model twice.

I'l admit to having done it with my line--except that the lungfish repaint (a marbled colour scheme instead of the West African) was a request, followed by other requests. To me, white lion vs normal lion doesn't add anything to the understanding of the lion.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: brontodocus on November 18, 2016, 01:53:07 PM
Great! Finally a Trioceros montium! 8) AcroSauroTaurus, I copied those into your first post, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks! And I like the fact that its a Cameroon Sailfin Chameleon, and not one of the more popular species like the Panther or Veiled. Now I'm waiting on a Usambara Three-horned Chameleon... (but I'm really hoping for a Strap-toothed Beaked Whale) ;D

I don't mind the big cat repaints, some deserve them. But they have way too many horses to be bothered with making all the color morphs of each breed...
I am the Dinosaur King!

bmathison1972

I am still hoping for an insect/arachnid this year. CollectA often does them every other year and they didnt do one last year haha

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on November 19, 2016, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on November 18, 2016, 01:53:07 PM

Thanks! And I like the fact that its a Cameroon Sailfin Chameleon, and not one of the more popular species like the Panther or Veiled. Now I'm waiting on a Usambara Three-horned Chameleon... (but I'm really hoping for a Strap-toothed Beaked Whale) ;D

I don't mind the big cat repaints, some deserve them. But they have way too many horses to be bothered with making all the color morphs of each breed...

Keep in mind--they're new distributor, Reeves international, is all about horses (and domestic). And they intend to only carry horses...so while we may not be impressed, it appears to acually be a huge part of CollectA's business.