News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

treehopper (New Ray)

Started by bmathison1972, October 29, 2016, 04:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Walk-around of a treehopper, gen. sp. by New Ray (1995). I have yet to attribute it to a specific species. I won this on eBay. It was among a lot of about 10 or so toy bugs (and one dinosaur). Most of the figures in the lot were garbage but when I saw a treehopper I had to have it. I didn't know who made it, when, or how big it would turnout to be (but based on other figures in the pic, I had a rough idea of the size). It turned out to be by New Ray. I am not too familiar with this brand, but I have a cicada and firefly from them as well (both courtesy of stargatedalek via a trade a year or two ago)

Treehoppers are rare as figures. Play Visions did one for their Exotic Insects set (that was rereleased as a 'transluscent' figure). There is one on Shapeways, that I also have (and painted to look like Umbonia crassicornis--see last image)

The figure is 45 mm long and 30 mm high (not including appendages). I cannot really calculate a scale without knowing which species it represents. The color is nice and natural, with variations in hues and color. The surface is textured with small bumps (which on the actual animal would probably be depressed punctures). The eyes are detailed but the mouthparts are not in the form of a hemipteran beak.

Overall a real treasure for someone like me! On to the pics:

My 'Umbonia' family:
1. Play Visions
2. New Ray
3. Shapeways

bmathison1972

...upon further review this is probably modeled after an Umbonia species.

stargatedalek

I used to have this one and it's counterpart (the same mold in green plastic with tan wings) when I was young, but I think I lost them many years ago.

Aside from the two you mentioned this brand also made centipedes and monarch caterpillars (and birds of prey), but those are the only ones I recall.

BlueKrono

Can you post a picture of the translucent one you mentioned?
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 22, 2017, 03:53:48 AM
Can you post a picture of the translucent one you mentioned?

It's the Play Visions one (http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1996.0) but entirely a translucent-like red color.

BlueKrono

Ooh, my favorite insect figure! Would you be able to post a picture of the red one? If it's too much trouble it's fine to say no.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 23, 2017, 03:42:09 AM
Ooh, my favorite insect figure! Would you be able to post a picture of the red one? If it's too much trouble it's fine to say no.

Unless I get ambitious, I'll post it when its turn comes up for Bug of the Day  ;)

bmathison1972

OK, one last one, I have recaptured these images for Postimage.

Will probably be the last one 'redone'.