News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Overview Kaiyodo beetle collection Beetleguy

Started by Beetle guy, October 10, 2016, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

So, here are all the Kaiyodo beetles (and larvae and pupae) that were out till now. Except one aniversary Allomyrina dichotoma. Which I did not collect. because it was a really bad copy of the firts Kaiyodo one but really roughly produced and plain black. So I skipped that one. May come in a lot one day ;-).

So here they are!

Some close-ups.

And some more.

The Luciola cruciata is a beautiful piece, so is the Cheirotonus jambar, especially the one from the natural monuments series. The Lucanus maculifemoratus of the Animal Tales set is more or less copied by the 2013 Stag beetle set one. The 2013 version is less acurate in mold and paint, but has moveable mandibles. The Dorcus larvae are also a bit different. I bought them from Japan the first was much more sturdy and had a more acurate paintjob. The second has a more rubber feel. This one came with the 2nd Capsule Q caterpilar set.

I always thought there were just three pupae of the dorcus, but there apear to be four. Although two of them have the number 04c they are different and have different booklets (see pic). The colour of the first fase ones differs also quit a bit (I have three which are al cleary different from very light to deeper transparant yellow).

The Cissites cephalotas is one of my favorites. It is detailed under the elytra in the form of wings!!! I had two figurines so I cut the elytra of one open to reveal a bit of the soft wings.
To beetle or not to beetle.

stemturtle

From your lovely photos we can infer that you have an inordinate fondness for beetles. Thanks Beetle guy.  :)

bmathison1972

Tell me about #s 13 and 14; are those just variants of #12 (Lucanus gamanus)? I have the #12 color form but not the others. I am happy to report I do have all the other beetles shown here, so I am caught-up on Kaiyodo :)

Beetle guy

Quote from: stemturtle on October 11, 2016, 12:41:51 AM
From your lovely photos we can infer that you have an inordinate fondness for beetles. Thanks Beetle guy.  :)

Must admit....I'am guilty ;-)

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 11, 2016, 01:34:36 AM
Tell me about #s 13 and 14; are those just variants of #12 (Lucanus gamanus)? I have the #12 color form but not the others. I am happy to report I do have all the other beetles shown here, so I am caught-up on Kaiyodo :)

They came as a BE-PAL (Be a friend?, I don't know) SPECIAL COLLECTION. The two where in a box with a 126 page booklet including a cataloge of what Kaiyodo ChocoQ had made till then.
Also pages with photo's of the real animals and the models. Only in Japanese (but with Latin names).

brontodocus

Oh wow, what a stupendous collection, Beetleguy! :o 8) And it sadly reveals how many I'm still missing. :'(

Beetle guy

Quote from: brontodocus on October 25, 2016, 10:20:28 AM
Oh wow, what a stupendous collection, Beetleguy! :o 8) And it sadly reveals how many I'm still missing. :'(

Thanks Andre!
I have a few doubles. So if there is any model you are interested in, let me know.

brontodocus

Quote from: Beetle guy on October 25, 2016, 11:57:09 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on October 25, 2016, 10:20:28 AM

Thanks Andre!
I have a few doubles. So if there is any model you are interested in, let me know.
Yay, there certainly are! :D However, at the moment I may have nothing to trade for... :-\