News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari New for 2017

Started by AcroSauroTaurus, September 15, 2016, 05:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcroSauroTaurus

Safari uploaded this video today showing some of their new figures, no names have been revealed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNPhejy9No

Edit by brontodocus 2016-09-23 to add photos from Safari Ltd's website. I omitted the dragons and other mythological creatures and Good Luck minis except for Fun packs, we can add these if wanted, though. An overview is also on Safari Ltd's site: https://www.safariltd.com/new-dragon-animal-dinosaur-toys/

Edit again by brontodocus 2016-09-30: It seems Safari Ltd is up with even more. Seeing their recent facebook posts made me check their website again and there are a few figures that weren't shown last week: Arctic Hare, Microraptor, and Parasaurolophus. And yet another edit: Updated photo of Coelophysis and Quetzalcoatlus.

Incredible Creatures:

Red-eyed Treefrog (actually a re-release, I already have this figure)

Nudibranch

Seahorse

Koi Fish

Blue Tang XL

Gibbon XL

White Bunny

Collared Lizard

Clown Anemonefish XL

River Otter

Reef Squid

Squirrel Monkey

Boa Constrictor

Farm:

Beagle

Boston Terrier

Siberian Husky

Hampshire Pig

Berkshire Pig

Carabao

Ayrshire Cow

Guernsey Cow

Highland Bull

Bashkir Curly

Fjord

Knabstrupper

Sea Life:

Leatherback Sea Turtle

Green Sea Turtle

African Penguin

Mako Shark

Right Whale

Wildlife (at this time it doesn't say anything about e.g. Wildlife Wonders, Wings of the World, North American Wildlife, etc., but I may change the arrangement when more information comes up):

Male Orangutan

Dingo

Howler Monkey

Two-toed Sloth

Moon Bear

Arctic Hare

Blue-footed Booby (possibly Wings of the World?)

Harpy Eagle (possibly Wings of the World?)

Kookaburra (possibly Wings of the World?)

Giant Albatross (possibly Wings of the World?)

Red-tailed Hawk (possibly Wings of the World?)

Kermode Bear (possiby North American Wildlife?)

Caribou (possiby North American Wildlife?)

Arctic Fox XL (possibly Wildlife Wonders?)

Alligator XL (possibly Wildlife Wonders?)

Whitetail Buck XL (possibly Wildlife Wonders?)

Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Life (still some are only revealed in form of silhouettes but it's obvious which ones we're getting):

Microraptor

Parasaurolophus

Einiosaurus

Coelophysis

Tylosaurus

Quetzalcoatlus

Psittacosaurus

Deinocheirus

Feathered Velociraptor

Diplodocus

Kronosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex

Toobs:

Antarctica Toob

Endangered Species - Land Toob

Endangered Species - Marine Toob

Fairy Tale Animals Toob

Poison Dart Frogs Toob - seems these are re-released figures, too

Good Luck Minis Fun Packs:

Good Luck Minis Rainforest Fun Pack

Good Luck Minis Ranch Fun Pack

Good Luck Minis Wild West Fun Pack
I am the Dinosaur King!

stargatedalek

Alligator has some lovely details, I hope its huge. I want an alligator without babies fused to its back to display alongside my IC one.

Frog toob is alright. As much as I like dart frogs though I won't be getting it since most of them seem to be the same mold. They should have done some more interesting poses, some climbing, croaking, etc..

Albatross looks nice, but the plants attached to its feet are very distracting. Same reason I haven't gotten the CollectA one.

Booby has some amazing paint detail. I'll be getting it for sure.

I can't tell if there are any new minis or not because the only ones that might be are the mammals. I recognize all the others.

Raptor is hard to identify but I think it's either a red-tailed hawk or an ornate hawk eagle. It has some nice detail to it but I'll have to wait and see for that one.

Squid and reef fish weren't in the video, shame.

sbell

I just received the preview today--there is a lot of new stuff. Most of the most interesting reef stuff is in the IC line.

Not sure when the details can be released.

stargatedalek

Quote from: sbell on September 16, 2016, 07:04:34 AMMost of the most interesting reef stuff is in the IC line.
We've seen a powder tang and another ocellaris clownfish, I wonder what else is in store. It seems there's hope that cephalopod really is a cuttlefish or a bobtail squid.

Stuckasaurus

Let's not forget to post this promotional image!

So nobody (who's allowed to talk about it) knows what the squid is yet? I've never seen a bright orange cuttlefish, so I'm skeptical of that identification.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 17, 2016, 01:41:37 AM
So nobody (who's allowed to talk about it) knows what the squid is yet? I've never seen a bright orange cuttlefish, so I'm skeptical of that identification.
You forget, cuttlefish are not limited by the regular laws of color and texture!

Although to be fair, I'm dubious too. Cuttlefish is more a pipe dream (but hey, if it is a colossal squid, and it's in a large enough scale, it'd make a good cuttlefish anyway).

AcroSauroTaurus

The eyes on the figure definitely are more akin to a squid, they don't look like cuttlefish eyes, so my guess is a squid.
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

Great! :)
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 17, 2016, 06:45:53 AM
The eyes on the figure definitely are more akin to a squid, they don't look like cuttlefish eyes, so my guess is a squid.
Yes, defintely no cuttlefish. Could be a Diamond Squid, Thysanoteuthis rhombus, or another species which has fins as long as the entire mantle. That Squirrel Monkey (and the otter, too) looked big, I wonder if that one is part of the IC line... Something else: I didn't see any figure that seems to belong to the Wildlife Wonders series. Well except for maybe what looks like a White-tailed Deer (could also be an update for the current NAW line). Or are we getting a Wildlife Wonders alligator?

Jetoar

Is really nice to see a new version of Short Fin Mako shark  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on September 17, 2016, 01:44:40 PM
Yes, defintely no cuttlefish. Could be a Diamond Squid, Thysanoteuthis rhombus, or another species which has fins as long as the entire mantle. That Squirrel Monkey (and the otter, too) looked big, I wonder if that one is part of the IC line... Something else: I didn't see any figure that seems to belong to the Wildlife Wonders series. Well except for maybe what looks like a White-tailed Deer (could also be an update for the current NAW line). Or are we getting a Wildlife Wonders alligator?

It's definitely a squid. And it's a full size 1:1 model. Safari identifies it as a Reef Squid, probably Sepioteuthis sepioidea or something similar.

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on September 22, 2016, 12:51:11 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on September 17, 2016, 01:44:40 PM

It's definitely a squid. And it's a full size 1:1 model. Safari identifies it as a Reef Squid, probably Sepioteuthis sepioidea or something similar.

Hmmm... since now there is a photo available on Safari Ltd's website I am a bit more sceptical and less enthusiastic about this one. :-\ Difficult to say, I really hope the fins are sculpted in an undulating pose, the new photo looks a bit as if the fins were much narrower towards the head than they should be but I hope it's just the perspective. The fins seem to be placed too far ventrally, too. It looks as if there was a structure on top of the head that points backwards, resulting in the mantle having a notch, instead the entire structure should be a part of the mantle (and bearing the anteriormost portion of the gladius).

Edit: Wait a minute... or is this thing upside down?

By the way, I'm going to edit the first post in this thread to add individual photos of the upcoming 2017 figures! :)
Edit: Done! Check first post for loads of images: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1900.0

Stuckasaurus

That's a pretty right whale! I pictured it sitting comfortably alongside my Monterrey Bay whales for a moment, until I realized it was about half as big as it should be, sadly. Oh well. I might get it anyway. Same with the Leatherback and the Mako.

I definitely like those Toobs though!

AcroSauroTaurus

Thanks Brontodocus! I was going to put all the photos on the page but didn't really want to take all that time. :-[ By the way, we really need a Mythical animal Toy Forum... ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

bmathison1972

While this is the second straight year with nothing for me, it is also another consecutive year of neat species selections, so for that I applaud Safari. If I wasnt taxonomically strict I would be getting quite a number of these, esp the monkeys, birds, bears, otter, and others. But neat critter selection nonetheless.

brontodocus

Edited first post again - added three new figures that weren't shown on Safari Ltd's website last week: Arctic Hare, Microraptor, and Parasaurolophus. :)
Edit: And once again... now with photos of Coelophysis and Quetzalcoatlus!

Rossano

I am enthusiast to see a Nudibranch, so rare finding one in a major producer catalogue.

I am in the meanwhile disappointed by the choice of the particular species, that has so homogenous colours and not particularly elegant shape, while there are so many Nudibranches with stunning colours and most elegant shapes that the suborder looks like an inspirational heaven for fashion stylists.

Stuckasaurus

You know, what I'd really like to see next year is some sort of Sport Fish Toob. You know, Tuna, Swordfish, Marlin, Dolphin fish, Grouper, Barracuda, etc.