Animal toy reviews and walk-arounds

Author Topic: Megamouth Shark (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)  (Read 4040 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Megamouth Shark (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« on: September 10, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
Even though the species was represented at least several times by Japanese companies (Colorata, Kaiyodo, Takara Tomy T.A.R.T.S) to my knowledge this is only the second non-japanese figure representing a Megamouth Shark (the first being by Lontic/Nayab). And I'm quite happy about how it turned out! :) So here is the Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife Megamouth Shark, Megachasma pelagios Taylor, Compagno & Struhsaker, 1983; item No. 201029, new for 2016. Total length is 180 mm so the scale is anywhere between approx. 1:30 and 1:39 for a mature individual. The human figure (paleontologist from the Tamiya Dinosaur Diorama series) is approx. 1:35 scale. The Megamouth Shark is one of the largest lamniform sharks and a plancton feeder just like the biggest of all lamniforms, the Basking Shark, Cetorhinus maximus. However, these two are an exception among the mackerel sharks. After its first discovery in 1976 only a handful of specimens were found over several decades. However, it seems to be caught more frequently than before and today more than 100 individuals have been reported. This led the IUCN to change the species' conservation status from "Data Deficient" to "Least Concern" in 2015.

Edit 2017-02-04: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:22:52 PM by brontodocus »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Megamouth Shark (Safari Ltd - Wild Safari Sealife)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:52:59 PM »
I really wanted to see these species for one of the biggest brands. I think the same with the GWS, I am happy to see it without catalogue image  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:59:18 PM »
Had this in my hands last week in the first shop selling safari figurines of my area, actually half an hour's drive from my home, but my son finally choose for the Nurse Shark (excellent figurine as well) and the Rhamphorhynchus, both still from Safari.

It's been already designed to be the hunting trophy for the next trip to that place.

I am noticing the strongly asymetric shape of the area where the tail connects to the body of the shark, is it somehow related to the anatomy of the shark, or it's just an anusual way to show the moves of the animal?

Moreover, I noticed that both of the figurines in the shop presented some inaccuracy in the painting of the black rim of the mouth, and for what I can see the same is for this piece. Can you confirm this, brontoducus?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:01:44 PM by Rossano »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »
Had this in my hands last week in the first shop selling safari figurines of my area, actually half an hour's drive from my home, but my son finally choose for the Nurse Shark (excellent figurine as well) and the Rhamphorhynchus, both still from Safari.

It's been already designed to be the hunting trophy for the next trip to that place.

I am noticing the strongly asymetric shape of the area where the tail connects to the body of the shark, is it somehow related to the anatomy of the shark, or it's just an anusual way to show the moves of the animal?

Moreover, I noticed that both of the figurines in the shop presented some inaccuracy in the painting of the black rim of the mouth, and for what I can see the same is for this piece. Can you confirm this, brontoducus?
Yes, the asymmetry most certainly intends to show the animal in an undulating motion of the tail. The dark paint is somewhat sloppy on my figure, too. It's not surprising, Safari Ltd often has some of the best sculpts among toy figures but paint work is not always the best. This used to be much worse several years back than nowadays, though. I for one value sculpt over perfect paint work, though (mainly because it's an easier fix for myself if the paint is really bad), so it's no big deal for me. :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »
Bigmouth strikes again - with visible images! ;D

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
I just learned that the Megamouth is the third filtering shark species together with Elephant and Whale Shark! Stunning!

CetaceanFan

• I'm a Sperm Whale at heart, yet I collect figures
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 02:16:56 AM »
Elephant?
The three filter feeding sharks are
Whale Shark
Basking Shark
Megamouth Shark

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
Elephant?
Whale Shark
Basking Shark
Megamouth Shark
I guess it's just a matter of translation. In Italian, the Basking shark is called "squalo elefante". :)

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
Correct, Brontodocus, just a literal translation from Italian to English. By the way, what is the reason of the name "basking", that I learn now means something like "warming up at the sun"?

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:59:29 PM »
Correct, Brontodocus, just a literal translation from Italian to English. By the way, what is the reason of the name "basking", that I learn now means something like "warming up at the sun"?
Yes, they are often encountered being almost motionless at the surface as if they were taking a sun bath. Unfortunately, this way they can easily collide with motorised ships.

CetaceanFan

• I'm a Sperm Whale at heart, yet I collect figures
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 01:22:57 AM »
Elephant?
Whale Shark
Basking Shark
Megamouth Shark
I guess it's just a matter of translation. In Italian, the Basking shark is called "squalo elefante". :)
Ok, thanks for clarifying me brontodocus