This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Sea Lion (Schleich, 2012)  (Read 2810 times)

Rossano

• View Profile
Sea Lion (Schleich, 2012)
« on: August 18, 2016, 02:01:11 AM »
This was one of the first models I bought for my son, as a toy, before beginning to collect them and getting into taxonomy.

As I tried to understand what exact species was it, it looked like a Californian Sea Lion (Zalophus californianus), but when I checked out the page of Schleich's web site I found out that they call it Callorhinus ursinus, common name Northern Fur Seal, an animal that looks way fatter and heavier than the model, and with much longer fur.

http://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/toys/wild_life/sea_lion/

Someone can explain the issue?

Please excuse me if there is already a thread dedicated to this model, I looked for it but could not find it.

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Lion (Schleich, 2012)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 05:33:47 AM »
Schleich is a lazy company (just look at their sad sad dinosaurs) and they probably chose the name arbitrarily. Not much else to say really.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:33:59 AM by stargatedalek »

Rossano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
Thanks stargatedalek, it is really hard to accept such behaviour. I mean, SURE there will be people who PERFECTLY knows what EXACT animal is that one in the Shcleich's staff, since the model looks very well made, and exactly matching with the features of the Californian Sea Lion. So what is the additional cost of taking care to write the right name on the site?

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
I don't know what happened but I'm sure the sculptor knew what she or he was doing and which species was represented. However, this is not necessarily the case when it comes to other staff members of the company.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal