News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Stars art thread

Started by stargatedalek, February 01, 2015, 10:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I figured I'd make this separate from my figurine thread.

Here's some modern animals. Most of these were just to pass the time but a few were made to use as achievement icons on a site I admin at. In order: Indian myna, birdeating spider, albino raven, coelacanth, eastern painted turtle, fancy guppy (male), and rainbow fish.

These are the first in a series of reconstructions I hope to make into a children's guidebook. I've got three different spinosaurus reconstructions in mind for comparisons sake; forearm walking, knuckle walking, and tripod. So far I've only finished forearm walking. Each is going to look very different aesthetically as well, for now meet the lovechild of a peacock and a rainbow trout ;D
(The inner toe is not visible in some poses since its covered by the other toes.)

Here's some I did for Jurassic World. Just to pass the time nothing big planned for any of these :P

These aren't animals, but I figured I'd drop this Higurashi poster I made for a school project last week here too.

stargatedalek

This isn't the final one, but I thought beluga spinosaurus looked pretty funny/cute so I did it as a bit of an in-joke :P

not sure where the strange white outline comes from, it goes away when viewed full size

AnimalToyForum

brontodocus

The Beluga style Spinosaurus is a brilliant idea! :)

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stargatedalek

Long time since I've updated this, I've missed quite a few things too so I may post the better of them someday.

I've been meaning to do some modern animal skeletals for a long time, so it's only fitting my first one was my favorite dinosaur, Fratercula arctica (Atlantic Puffin).

Nearly a year ago I made a set of skeletals displaying various hypothetical forms of locomotion for Spinosaurus, but they are frankly rather crude. Sorry for the rather garish colours, I intend to use this as a base for a fleshed out reconstruction and the colour coding is to display depth. If anyone would like it toned down I can of course oblige. My balancing is based on the thicker neural columns over the hips having a hump and the long tail being relatively thick. Which is why it doesn't lean backwards. It's based very much on being able to use it's arms for assistance as opposed to relying on them or outright avoiding them (as my previous reconstruction did).

And these animals (and others, these are the ones I liked best) were meant to be made into icons on a site, but the site never came to fruition.

stargatedalek

Not really animal related per-se, Miia from Monster Musume.

stargatedalek

I finished Miia, long while since I last worked on her because I was using my school sketchbook and I've been home sick this past week.

stargatedalek

This one took me a lot longer than I'd expected it would, surprising lack of reference photos with the angles I needed, a lot of composite work here too unfortunately. Even the skull itself is actually a composite of A. maximus and A. sp (AKA "Big Al" or MOR 693). Special credit where it's due here, portions of the pose are based on and the toes specifically reference Scott Hartman's skeletal of MOR 693.

And yes, I lump Saurophaganax under Allosaurus. As I see it Saurophaganax is honestly not different enough to validate it's own genus and the only thing keeping it from returning to Allosaurus is the high amount of layman usage (because for some reason in paleontology we have to make allowances for the laymans who do not realize what a genus is...).

stargatedalek

Some days I'm just so bored that I feel like trying to finally beat every Touhou game. Some days I make stupid goals.

stargatedalek

stargatedalek

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 16, 2016, 01:14:02 AM

The sturgeon is of course a favourite--but the two rows of lateral scutes should be at least somewhat/partially visible form this angle...just saying, not like I can draw in any fashion.

stargatedalek

I was actually thinking that myself,  but my reference didn't show them. Are they less defined in beluga than other sturgeon?

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 18, 2016, 03:33:46 AM
I was actually thinking that myself,  but my reference didn't show them. Are they less defined in beluga than other sturgeon?

I just looked up some Huso huso pictures--an dit turns out that, yeah, they are less noticeable compared to,say, lake, fgreen or white sturgeon (which I am more familiar with).

stargatedalek

stargatedalek

Chesapeake Blue Crab
Callinectes sapidus

Corvus skull made from stacked cardboard. I may use this as a base and add paper mache to make it smooth (and solid)

stargatedalek

I made a Microraptor skeletal, there must totally be a shortage of those.

This is for an upcoming project, keep your eyes peeled in the coming months (especially if you own a 3D printer). If you're curious about the pose it's in the initial downstroke during a takeoff.

stargatedalek

A Yanornis martini skeletal to accompany the Microraptor gui.

stargatedalek

Decided to finally take a lot of peoples advice and start uploading some designs to teepublic. Not much on there yet, but more is coming.
https://www.teepublic.com/user/stargatedalek