This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Dorcus beetles (T-Arts, Tommy Arts)  (Read 2577 times)

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
Dorcus beetles (T-Arts, Tommy Arts)
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:54:32 PM »
Yesterday two beetles of the new line of T-Arts came with the post. Dorcus hopei binodolosus and Dorcus palawanicus. Really nice models, the latter from a new mold.

The line-up for 2016 is: Chalcosoma Atlas, allomyrina dichotoma, Dynastes hercules, Dorcus binodolosus. and Dorcus palawanicus (new mold 2016. Alle others same mold from 2011 on) All five beetles in the 2016 line-up are, with exception of the elytra of Dynastes hercules not painted. A pitty! But these are low cost, mass produced items so I quess they want to keep production costs low as possible. All models except D.hercules and C. atlas or off scale. Their bigger than the real thing. The D. palawanicus is about 2 cm bigger than the largest known specimen.

The year is stamped in the elytra. Left D.palawanicus, right D. binodolosus.
Under: together with the huge Subarudo/Takara/Tommy Arts D. hercules. which had to be collected by buying a whole set. (each beetle had some parts of the large D.Hercules (scale 1:1 for a champion sized male).

Usually I do not alter models, but these screamed for a little detail paint ;)!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:16:58 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Dorcus beetles (T-Arts, Tommy Arts)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
Nice. I will get these two, as well as the Dynastes, as I don't have a Takara/Subarudo D. hercules (except for the giant Subarudo chase model).

While complete sets are nice, I think I can finally pass on the Allomyrina and Chalcosoma

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
Re: Dorcus beetles (T-Arts, Tommy Arts)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »
Nice. I will get these two, as well as the Dynastes, as I don't have a Takara/Subarudo D. hercules (except for the giant Subarudo chase model).

While complete sets are nice, I think I can finally pass on the Allomyrina and Chalcosoma

You might, it are the same models for years know  ^-^! All but D.Palawanicus have slits for wings on both sides. Older releases had wings. You might wanna get an older version of the hercules though. I have the new one here and the paintjob is not very good. The same mold they released in 2014 or 2013 is really nice. Plus it has got detachable wings!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 04:16:09 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal