News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Gekkota - Geckos

Started by brontodocus, December 29, 2012, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

The panther (AKA pictus) gecko is the name on the belly, but yes, it looks nothing like one. Not every Play Vision figure was perfect! Not sure what it's supposed to be though.

And nice real geckos--it's been years since I kept any live ones.

Uroplatus

Quote from: sbell on March 23, 2015, 03:34:07 PM
The panther (AKA pictus) gecko is the name on the belly, but yes, it looks nothing like one. Not every Play Vision figure was perfect! Not sure what it's supposed to be though.

Thank you. :)

I must say i have no idea myself, can't think of any species right now that resembles these collorations.

Abouth the name, it was propably manufactured before the name was changed so that's why it says pictus, the same with the Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis, wich is now split up into P. madagascariensis madagascariensis and P. grandis;)

sbell

Quote from: Uroplatus on March 23, 2015, 03:54:31 PM
Quote from: sbell on March 23, 2015, 03:34:07 PM

Thank you. :)

I must say i have no idea myself, can't think of any species right now that resembles these collorations.

Abouth the name, it was propably manufactured before the name was changed so that's why it says pictus, the same with the Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis, wich is now split up into P. madagascariensis madagascariensis and P. grandis;)

It is a figure from some time ago--at least 15 or 20 years, so yes, the names may not always line up.

And especially with their fish and reptiles, Play Visions could get rather...creative...with colouring. Although their most extreme may be the Binturong model. An animal that is usually a fairly uniform brownish colour became cream coloured with purplish spots, legs and tail.

brontodocus

I can't be 100% sure since I don't have the PV lizards, only their Yujin counterparts, but it seems to me the Yujin version of this "Panther Gecko" is stamped "House Gecko" (probably Hemidactylus frenatus, the tail has a slightly stronger bend to the left so I'm not sure if it really is the same sculpt but it looks very much like it). I recently took some photos of my Yujin lizards so I should upload some of the geckos here...

EDIT: Oh, and Uroplatus, your photos are brilliant and it was a good idea to post a picture of a real Paroedura picta here for comparison. :) If you want to show your entire collection of geckos, go ahead, I'd just recommend opening a thread in the Animals or General section.

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on March 22, 2015, 01:54:16 PM
Considering the Gecko by Pete Smit - while I don't know if this was the intention the tail looks quite fat. There are several Australian gecko species which store fat in their tails. For example, the Velvet Geckoes, genus Oedura look a little similar. Oedura literally means "fat tail".

Thanks for the food for thought :).
I've just checked an Australian reptile encyclopedia and my guesses would be either Oedura marmorata (which is the most variable and widely distributed member of its genus) or Oedura monilis.

Uroplatus

Quote from: brontodocus on March 25, 2015, 07:11:40 AM
EDIT: Oh, and Uroplatus, your photos are brilliant and it was a good idea to post a picture of a real Paroedura picta here for comparison. :) If you want to show your entire collection of geckos, go ahead, I'd just recommend opening a thread in the Animals or General section.

Okay i will, thank you. :)

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 25, 2015, 08:46:21 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on March 22, 2015, 01:54:16 PM
Considering the Gecko by Pete Smit - while I don't know if this was the intention the tail looks quite fat. There are several Australian gecko species which store fat in their tails. For example, the Velvet Geckoes, genus Oedura look a little similar. Oedura literally means "fat tail".

Thanks for the food for thought :).
I've just checked an Australian reptile encyclopedia and my guesses would be either Oedura marmorata (which is the most variable and widely distributed member of its genus) or Oedura monilis.

Considering the shape of it's tail, but even more the shape of the feet and toepads , and it being Australian, i'm pretty sure you guy's are correct that it's a species of Oedura.
I'm usually pretty good at identifying gecko's but with this bronze color i'm afraid determening the exact subspecies is neir to impossible...
Gehyra variegata could be possible as well, but is much lesser known to the general public than the velvet gecko's so i don't think it's supposed to be one of those.
Just my two cent's... :)

brontodocus

While there are not that many, I have a few geckos to contribute...

Eublepharis macularius Blyth, 1854; Leopard Gecko. Yujin Lizard Pictorial Book 2002. It's the same sculpt as the PV version sbell posted further above.

Goniurosaurus kuroiwae (Namiye, 1912); Kuroiwa's Ground Gecko. Yujin Lizard Pictorial Book 2002. This is apparently an alternate paint version of the figure sauroid posted here.

cf. Hemidactylus frenatus Schlegel, 1836; Common House Gecko. Yujin Lizard Pictorial Book 2002. Possibly the same sculpt as the PV "Panther Gecko" sbell posted above.

Gekko gecko (Linnaeus, 1758); Tokay Gecko. Above: Safari Ltd (I think this is an early Incredible Creatures figure), cast from a real specimen and 290 mm long. Middle: Safari Ltd Translucents, stamped "Giant Day Gecko" but obviously the same sculpt as the preceding one. Below: Yujin Lizard Pictorial Book 2002.

Uroplatus lineatus Duméril & Bibron, 1836; Lined Leaf-tail Gecko. AAA, cast from an actual specimen.

Correlophus (formerly Rhacodactylus) ciliatus (Guichenot, 1866); Crested Gecko. AAA, cast from an actual specimen.

cf. Saltuarius (syn. Phyllurus) cornutus (Ogilby, 1892); Flat-tailed Gecko. K&M.

postsaurischian

:D Tokee!!
      Cool. I like the first Safari pic - makes me suddenly want that figure, but it's too big for my tastes.
      I love this animal, still waiting for a really good Japanese figure of it.

I've never seen the AAA Crested Gecko before. It looks so ....... prehistoric ;D.

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 30, 2015, 09:11:09 PMI've never seen the AAA Crested Gecko before. It looks so ....... prehistoric ;D.
Well, it almost was... the species was thought to be extinct until it was rediscovered in 1994. I remember how it was mentioned in books in the early 90s that only museum specimens existed - and now it's one of the most popular geckos in the pet trade.

postsaurischian

The four different colour schemes for the  Leopard Gecko  from the Kaiyodo - CapsuleQ Museum set:

Suddenly the white version became my favourite one :).

postsaurischian

^-^  New Geckos from Kaiyodo's Gecko figure collection 2:

Gehyra mutilata -  Four-clawed Gecko

Correlophus ciliatus - Crested Gecko

Phelsuma madagascariensis - Madagascar Day Gecko

bmathison1972

may I use one of these images for another banner? :)

postsaurischian

brontodocus

Wonderful new Gecko set! 8) I think the day gecko represents what today is Phelsuma grandis - this has been considered a subspecies of P. madagascariensis for a long time.

Jetoar

Kaiyodo Geckos are awesome  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Crested Gecko images are back. :)

postsaurischian

I have re-uploaded my pics in this thread.
Unfortunately a lot of Gecko pictures have been lost due to the Photobucket damage :'(.
It would be great if as many as possible could be brought back.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

:)  Here's another small bronze Gecko from Queensland by Pete Smit.
                                                             Now I have two.
                                  I hope to find a third one on my next Australia trip.

postsaurischian

My Favorite Animals - Uroplatus henkeli

Reptiles Mag - Eublepharis macularius (yellow version)

TheGreenTreeFrog - Gekko gecko (cold cast bronze)