News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lovely Salamanders

Started by postsaurischian, January 01, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Series:   Natural Monuments of Japan
                     (This is figure No.35 of 50)

brontodocus

Aaaah, one of the best salamander figures, ever! :) It was the first of the (still only few) NMoJ figures I got.
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 01, 2013, 12:12:58 PM

:o I assume this black cylindrical thing underneath the salamander's base wasn't part of the figure? I don't have that piece. Oh wait, is this possibly part of a confetti party bomb or something? ;D

postsaurischian

Actually this was my very first Kaiyodo figure. When I saw it the first time, I was pretty shocked. I could hardly believe that such figures were being produced and praised the lord above for giving us the internet ;D.

I found two of these cylindrical rubber things coincidentally at work. I have no clue what they are, I use them to give figures more distance to the floor (shadow). I should have used it for the last pic as well ::).

sbell

I always wanted that one, but it always seemed to go too high in price for me. So I go without.

Funny thing is that even in Japan auctions, it still goes for quite a lot, so it's clearly popular and rare everywhere.

Varanus

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stemturtle

Common Mudpuppy, Necturus maculosus, total length 10.75" (27.5 cm)

Tyrantqueen has posted an excellent walk-around of the translucent mudpuppy.  Photos of the elusive TN Aquarium mudpuppy may serve as reference for collectors who wish to paint over the green version.  The TN mudpuppy is made of a flexible material like that of the translucent.  Paint is not liable to flake off, although mine has a few scuffs.  Beware of using varnish, which may react with the plastic to cause a tacky finish that will not dry.  There is a range of color.  I have seen wild mudpuppies in Minnesota by turning large stones in shallow rivers.  Adults are darker than this figure, while juveniles have two tan stripes.  Seeing a mudpuppy is like a trip back to the Carboniferous.

brontodocus

Great walk-around of a great figure, thanks for posting, stemturtle! :) So it's as soft as the translucent version? Well, there seems to be some variation in the line - the figures I have are all rather soft with the exception of the Crested Newt which is very rigid. Aaaah, now I want to repaint the translucent mudpuppy even more... :-[ ;D

Jetoar

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on January 24, 2013, 01:49:15 PM
Well, there seems to be some variation in the line - the figures I have are all rather soft with the exception of the Crested Newt which is very rigid.

Salamanders (Safari Ltd. - Tennessee Aquarium Collection, 1995)

All six of these salamanders are hard plastic.  I once had a Red Salamander that was soft plastic, but I gave it to my granddaughter. 
If anyone has a mudpuppy made of rigid plastic, please let us know.

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Varanus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Varanus on January 26, 2013, 05:02:10 AM
Wow, great figure! :o  Are they still available anywhere?
No, aside from places like eBay where you might be able to find it second hand. The translucent version is still available at Veghead though.

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

brontodocus

And even used ones are quite a rare sight and may go for a high winning bid... I'm still missing this one and the Marbled Salamander. :'(

brontodocus

Walk-around of the retired Safari Ltd. The Tennessee Aquarium Collection (Barred) Fire Salamander, Salamandra salamandra terrestris Lacépède, 1788. Total length is 185 mm which is about the avarage length of an adult female so the scale is approx. 1:1. The other Fire Salamander figure is Bullyland's current version.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

brontodocus

Walk-around of the retired Safari Ltd. The Tennessee Aquarium Collection (Northern) Crested Newt, Triturus cristatus (Laurenti, 1768). Total length is 140 mm which is about the avarage length of an adult male, scale is approx. 1:1.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

postsaurischian

Ohh, I simply adore this figure! Still want it very, VERY BADLY >:( :'( .......  :) of course I'm gonna get it one day.

Beautiful photos :).

postsaurischian

The Tennessee Aquarium Collection is such a wonderful series :D. It's a shame I don't have any of them at the moment!
Next to the Fire Salamander this is my favourite one.

Jetoar

Two salamanders are very but the Safri version is alive. I hope that Safari release agin this figure, Well done again friend ^-^.

Jetoar

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 29, 2013, 07:05:51 PM
The Tennessee Aquarium Collection is such a wonderful series :D. It's a shame I don't have any of them at the moment!
Next to the Fire Salamander this is my favourite one.

TTAC amphibians are amazing. I never have seen figures of newts and salamanders with these details, thanks for sharing again friend  ^-^!