This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Beetles of the world (DeAgostini)  (Read 5402 times)

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
  • Animal: Beetle
Beetles of the world (DeAgostini)
« on: February 28, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
A little walk-around of the complete Deagostini Beetle sets. The Japanese (64 models) and European (60 models) version of the series differ a bit. Also far most of the species are eighter Lucanidae or Scarabaeidae.
These models where casted from real (many large) specimens and are truly superb!! So they are scale 1:1. Great deal of detail and a more than excellent paintjob! Some have even furry parts (Dynastes satanas, Megasoma Mars and Megasoma elephas). These are the best beetle models I have ever encountered.

The Lucanidae:

Oops, forgot this one

The Scarabaeidae and  Cetoniidae:

These where only in the Japanese series. The 4 females where not for sale and had to be optained by collecting the series by a subscribtion.

The European series had these 3 that where not included in the Japanese series. The dragonfly was in both series, bit strange though amongst al beetles (same can be said about the Phyllium giganteum model).

If anyone wants a close up on a special species, let me know!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:56:01 PM by Beetle guy »
To beetle or not to beetle.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Beetles of the world (DeAgostini)
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:41:29 PM »
Magnificent collection. I have a few figures of these collection  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:51:15 PM »
Congrats, Beetle guy, if there is something like a holy grail of beetle figure sets, I'd say it's the DeAgostini series! 8) I think I have about half of the represented models, including only one female (Phalacrognathus muelleri). Yes, the models are cast from some really major specimens (though not record-size, but still, the D. hercules is a whopping 140 mm for example). The metallic colours are wonderful, too, obviously the Phalacrognathus muelleri looks almost real but I was also surprised that they managed to give a metallic shine to the Chalcosoma atlas - to my knowledge, there are several other C. atlas figures by other companies but none of them is coloured properly. I think Phyllium giganteum may be included in both Japan and European releases because it's so popular among insect breeders both in Japan and Europe. And the Lesser Emperor dragonfly, Anax parthenope, is a species with a vast geographical range so it is native to both. By the way, does "European version" mean they were also released in Europe? I mean, thinking of how much I had to pay on shipping from Japan when I bought mine all at once some years back... :'(

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 12:19:56 AM »
I have cherry-picked the figures from this series I want, namely genera not or poorly-represented, or groups that are not as commonly represented. There are SO MANY lucanids and dynastines out there, I started being more selective.
That being said if I ever find a complete set (minus females, variants) of the original 60, I will probably buy it :)

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 11:21:40 AM »
By the way, does "European version" mean they were also released in Europe? I mean, thinking of how much I had to pay on shipping from Japan when I bought mine all at once some years back... :'(

Yes this series was released in Japan and Italy.

Japan had three models not included in Italy (O. ludekingi, G. eacus, E.birmanicus) plus the females.
Italy had ( C.batesi, P. giganteum, C. limbata) no females!

the paint effect of Chalcosoma can be done by first adding a chrome metal paint layer, than a very thin layer of green or yellow paint, than a very thin spray of metalic black ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:00:34 PM by Beetle guy »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
It's official--I have a complete set of 60 (Japanese release)! I don't have the 4 females nor the European variants though.

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 10:15:51 PM »
It's official--I have a complete set of 60 (Japanese release)! I don't have the 4 females nor the European variants though.

congrats! If I have to look out for the european ones for you, let me know!

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:55:03 PM »

yes, please do so :)

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »

I let you know when I have them  :)

Beetle guy

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:04 AM »

I have them (ordered) and send you a private message, do not no if that went okay though..

I let you know when I have them  :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
Sorry to be late, Blaine, but hey, congrats! 8)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
Really awesome collection  :o. I only have some species of it.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal