News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Prosimians

Started by stemturtle, February 17, 2016, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on April 16, 2018, 12:57:10 PM
Quote from: sbell on April 16, 2018, 03:50:38 AM
It is labelled 'langur' but...no. And I don't recognize who it might be copied from. It does look lemur-ish to me, but that's about it (certainly not a langur)

And ideas?

You're right, Sbell, it's not a langur, which is a kind of leaf monkey.
I cannot name a species of lemur that is an exact match for this replica.
I ordered one that should arrive any day. Then I will post a photo to show if the belly is marked with an ID. Looks very similar to the ring-tailed lemur by Wild Safari, 292229. We'll see.

Someone on STS id'd it as the Safari lemur with a...unique paint job. Kind of brown lemur, with the wrong tail. There are a few others from the same seller that appear to have been slightly altered. And others that don't appear to be altered at all!

stemturtle

Brown lemur, Eulemur sp. (Zhongsheng)
Misidentified by seller as a long-tailed langur monkey.
Coloration of face and tail confuse an ID match to a particular lemur species.

No inscriptions of the belly. Separate label for Zhongsheng Toys.

Ring-tailed lemur, Lemur catta (Wild Safari, 292229)

Marked underneath:
Ring-tailed Lemur, © 2010 Safari Ltd., Miami FL USA, Made in China

Comparison of brown lemur and ring-tailed lemur.
Different paint, similar molds.

Edit: unidentified lemur changed to brown lemur, Eulemur sp.

sbell

On STS the suggestion was made for a White headed lemur Eulemur albifrons. Other than some seeming to have poofier heads, the overall shape and colours are about right.

stemturtle

Sbell, thanks for reporting about the suggestion on STS that the species is the
white-headed lemur, Eulemur albifrons. The female white-headed is reddish-brown with dark feet, which is a good fit. However, the face and muzzle are dark gray, which is not a good match for the Zhongsheng figure. See an image on Wikipedia. Too bad the figure was not marked with an ID.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on April 20, 2018, 12:46:39 PM
Sbell, thanks for reporting about the suggestion on STS that the species is the
white-headed lemur, Eulemur albifrons. The female white-headed is reddish-brown with dark feet, which is a good fit. However, the face and muzzle are dark gray, which is not a good match for the Zhongsheng figure. See an image on Wikipedia. Too bad the figure was not marked with an ID.

Well, it's the closest species to the model. Seeing as they likely had to scrub the inscriptions, it was bound to be a generic species.

The below photo is the one that most represents the model. It's still not perfect, but many animal models miss things...look at the aye-aye models, most of them just don't seem to get the weird hands right.

stemturtle

Nice photo, Sbell. Another possibility is the mongoose lemur, Eulemur mongoz. Perhaps we could say that the artist created a generalized brown lemur, genus Eulemur, without including field marks for a particular species. Would you recommend that the ID be changed from Unidentified to Eulemur sp.?
As Dr. McCoy from Star Trek might say, I'm a collector not a primatologist!  :)

sbell

Based on the white of the face it's probably closest to a white headed lemur. But generic Eulemur can work.

stemturtle

Edited Reply #21 to change unidentified lemur to brown lemur, Eulemur sp.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: stemturtle on April 21, 2018, 01:46:08 AM

No company, right? Is the conclusion that the sculpt is a knock-off of Safari Ltd's ring-tailed lemur, painted to make it look different?

stemturtle

Quote from: animaltoyforum on June 03, 2018, 05:46:39 PM

No company, right? Is the conclusion that the sculpt is a knock-off of Safari Ltd's ring-tailed lemur, painted to make it look different?

The tag that came with the figure identified the manufacturer as Zhongsheng Toys.
Since the mold was altered to erase the species ID, I do not know if we should say that it is a knock off of the Safari ring-tailed lemur. We left off calling it a generic brown lemur, no species identified. Frequently, a toy maker is content with a generalized ID rather than targeting the collector market.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: stemturtle on June 03, 2018, 06:50:19 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on June 03, 2018, 05:46:39 PM

The tag that came with the figure identified the manufacturer as Zhongsheng Toys.
Since the mold was altered to erase the species ID, I do not know if we should say that it is a knock off of the Safari ring-tailed lemur. We left off calling it a generic brown lemur, no species identified. Frequently, a toy maker is content with a generalized ID rather than targeting the collector market.

Oh, Zhongsheng Toys, thanks :) I wonder what else they produce.

stemturtle

Loris, allegedly a red slender loris, Loris tardigradus (custom made resin), height 1.6 in. or 4.0 cm.

This loris was identified as a red slender loris by the seller on eBay. The limbs are not thin enough to fit that ID.
The figure is not marked, and there was no paper label. No question that it is cute.

Red slender loris shown with the slow loris by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.

EDIT: corrected ID. Sunda slow loris, Nycticebus coucang (Naturally Adorkable). Thanks to bmathison1972.

bmathison1972

Nice Loris. widukind on STS has presented this as well, it's part of a set that includes a Pallas cat, a pangolin of sorts, Tibetan fox, hedgehog of sorts. a marmot-like thing, and a few others (excuse the uncertain names, I am not up on my mammal taxonomy lol).

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t2938p300-the-not-marked-animals-in-my-zoo [page 7 of that post]

Isidro

What??? The suuuuuuper-dreamed Tibetan fox has been made into figurine??????????? I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant to see it (and buy it if possible and if it's in the adequate scale and acurateness)

Isidro

Ohhh yes! I saw now. Readily recognizable as a Tibetan fox indeed (despite the painting is too contrasting between the orangish and grey parts...). But unfortunately the figurine is too small for my collection, compared with this Lego piece :-(

stemturtle

Greater bamboo lemur, Prolemur simus (Joy City Ltd., Endangered Animals Tube),  height of tail is 1.75 in. or 4.5 cm.

The release of a new species exhilarates the collector. This bamboo lemur could not entirely escape the pattern of repetitive issues of ring-tailed lemurs.
The tail is incorrectly colored black and white instead of solid brown. The ID marked on the belly is Hapalemur simus, which is a previous genus name for Prolemur.

Factory color                                                                                                       Wild type color

Coloration in the second photo has been changed as if repainted to illustrate the more typical gray-brown.
Credit to Mrs. Stemturtle for her magical use of Photoshop.

The tube was sold in Aldi stores in Germany at Christmas time.
Thanks to my friend @widukind for the favor of a trade.
Some countries have increased the postage costs for international parcels.

bmathison1972

Figures like this are challenging. I do not like to alter figures (if for no other reason, for educational purposes about what is accurate and what is not). This works great for my arthropods, since I am a completest with them. However, for a synoptic species collection (which is what I would be doing for primates), I do not want an exemplar that is this far off. I might be persuaded to 'alter' synoptic figures, esp if the sculpt is good...

bmathison1972

Quote from: stemturtle on January 16, 2019, 08:20:07 PM

Loris, allegedly a red slender loris, Loris tardigradus (custom made resin), height 1.6 in. or 4.0 cm.

This loris was identified as a red slender loris by the seller on eBay. The limbs are not thin enough to fit that ID.
The figure is not marked, and there was no paper label. No question that it is cute.

Red slender loris shown with the slow loris by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S.

The mystery of this line was solved, @stemturtle . They are from a line called 'Naturally Adorkable' and were released in conjunction with a Chinese magazine called 'Natural History'. I bought 6 of the figures, but my loris was sold as the pygmy slow loris, Nycticebus pygmaeus (although it was intended to be the Bengal slow loris, B. bengalensis - I helped the sellers, below, correct a couple other of their names so I have alerted the seller to this change as well).

And if you want more, buy from these guys, they are MUCH cheaper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Animal-Bear-Raccoon-Figurine-Figure-Model-Doll-Series-Decoration-Toy/253888236109?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D31a4596adbf544819c2a91c5a498bab1%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D153393419348%26itm%3D253888236109&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A59cb1c11-46c7-11e9-92ba-74dbd1807197%7Cparentrq%3A7f1c6c401690ac3de903aa02ffff9ae0%7Ciid%3A1

stemturtle

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2019, 02:08:44 AM

The mystery of this line was solved, @stemturtle . They are from a line called 'Naturally Adorkable' and were released in conjunction with a Chinese magazine called 'Natural History'. I bought 6 of the figures, but my loris was sold as the pygmy slow loris, Nycticebus pygmaeus (although it was intended to be the Bengal slow loris, B. bengalensis - I helped the sellers, below, correct a couple other of their names so I have alerted the seller to this change as well).
@bmathison1972, thanks for the research on the loris in Reply #31. The ID has been edited. I agree with you that the pygmy slow loris is a better fit for the figure than the Bengal slow loris. Nice work!

EDIT: The ID has been changed to the Sunda slow loris, Nycticebus coucang.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stemturtle on March 15, 2019, 12:41:53 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2019, 02:08:44 AM

The mystery of this line was solved, @stemturtle . They are from a line called 'Naturally Adorkable' and were released in conjunction with a Chinese magazine called 'Natural History'. I bought 6 of the figures, but my loris was sold as the pygmy slow loris, Nycticebus pygmaeus (although it was intended to be the Bengal slow loris, N. bengalensis - I helped the sellers, below, correct a couple other of their names so I have alerted the seller to this change as well).
@bmathison1972, thanks for the research on the loris in Reply #31. The ID has been edited. I agree with you that the pygmy slow loris is a better fit for the figure than the Bengal slow loris. Nice work!

sorry for the confusion, the figure was marketed by the manufacturer as a Bengal slow loris, not a pygmy slow loris. Honestly it can almost be a few options. For my records I will be referring to mine as N. bengalensis as intended by the manufacturer. I also have the Tibetan sand fox, Pallas cat, Chinese pangolin, long-eared hedgehog, and Himalayan marmot coming to me. Of these 6, I think 5 are unique (Yowies did a Chinese pangolin, but it would be smaller than this one).