Author Topic: Prosimians  (Read 8150 times)

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
Re: Prosimians
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »
It is labelled 'langur' but...no. And I don't recognize who it might be copied from. It does look lemur-ish to me, but that's about it (certainly not a langur)

And ideas?

You're right, Sbell, it's not a langur, which is a kind of leaf monkey.
I cannot name a species of lemur that is an exact match for this replica.
I ordered one that should arrive any day. Then I will post a photo to show if the belly is marked with an ID. Looks very similar to the ring-tailed lemur by Wild Safari, 292229. We'll see.

Someone on STS id'd it as the Safari lemur with a...unique paint job. Kind of brown lemur, with the wrong tail. There are a few others from the same seller that appear to have been slightly altered. And others that don't appear to be altered at all!

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »

Brown lemur, Eulemur sp. (Zhongsheng)
Misidentified by seller as a long-tailed langur monkey.
Coloration of face and tail confuse an ID match to a particular lemur species.

No inscriptions of the belly. Separate label for Zhongsheng Toys.

Ring-tailed lemur, Lemur catta (Wild Safari, 292229)

Marked underneath:
Ring-tailed Lemur, 2010 Safari Ltd., Miami FL USA, Made in China

Comparison of brown lemur and ring-tailed lemur.
Different paint, similar molds.

Edit: unidentified lemur changed to brown lemur, Eulemur sp.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:47:20 AM by stemturtle »

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 01:22:17 AM »
On STS the suggestion was made for a White headed lemur Eulemur albifrons. Other than some seeming to have poofier heads, the overall shape and colours are about right.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
Sbell, thanks for reporting about the suggestion on STS that the species is the
white-headed lemur, Eulemur albifrons. The female white-headed is reddish-brown with dark feet, which is a good fit. However, the face and muzzle are dark gray, which is not a good match for the Zhongsheng figure. See an image on Wikipedia. Too bad the figure was not marked with an ID.

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 05:17:18 PM »
Sbell, thanks for reporting about the suggestion on STS that the species is the
white-headed lemur, Eulemur albifrons. The female white-headed is reddish-brown with dark feet, which is a good fit. However, the face and muzzle are dark gray, which is not a good match for the Zhongsheng figure. See an image on Wikipedia. Too bad the figure was not marked with an ID.

Well, it's the closest species to the model. Seeing as they likely had to scrub the inscriptions, it was bound to be a generic species.

The below photo is the one that most represents the model. It's still not perfect, but many animal models miss things...look at the aye-aye models, most of them just don't seem to get the weird hands right.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »
Nice photo, Sbell. Another possibility is the mongoose lemur, Eulemur mongoz. Perhaps we could say that the artist created a generalized brown lemur, genus Eulemur, without including field marks for a particular species. Would you recommend that the ID be changed from Unidentified to Eulemur sp.?
As Dr. McCoy from Star Trek might say, I'm a collector not a primatologist!  :)

sbell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 12:35:31 AM »
Based on the white of the face it's probably closest to a white headed lemur. But generic Eulemur can work.

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 01:46:08 AM »
Edited Reply #21 to change unidentified lemur to brown lemur, Eulemur sp.

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
  • Animal: Frilled lizard
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »

No company, right? Is the conclusion that the sculpt is a knock-off of Safari Ltd's ring-tailed lemur, painted to make it look different?

stemturtle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »

No company, right? Is the conclusion that the sculpt is a knock-off of Safari Ltd's ring-tailed lemur, painted to make it look different?

The tag that came with the figure identified the manufacturer as Zhongsheng Toys.
Since the mold was altered to erase the species ID, I do not know if we should say that it is a knock off of the Safari ring-tailed lemur. We left off calling it a generic brown lemur, no species identified. Frequently, a toy maker is content with a generalized ID rather than targeting the collector market.

animaltoyforum

• Dr admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
  • Animal: Frilled lizard
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »

The tag that came with the figure identified the manufacturer as Zhongsheng Toys.
Since the mold was altered to erase the species ID, I do not know if we should say that it is a knock off of the Safari ring-tailed lemur. We left off calling it a generic brown lemur, no species identified. Frequently, a toy maker is content with a generalized ID rather than targeting the collector market.

Oh, Zhongsheng Toys, thanks :) I wonder what else they produce.