News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Another beetle lover from the Netherlands

Started by Beetle guy, February 11, 2016, 04:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beetle guy

Hi,

I 'am a pasionate collector of beetle figurines, especially the ones that look really realistic and are more or less scale 1:1. Also I breed some species and prepare beetles for a educational project (next to my job). For 5 years I have been collecting and it has become quite a collection :-[  I have been collecting beetles from Kaiyodo, Sega, Yujin, Kitan, DeAgostini (European and Japanese series complete :)), Takara, F-toys and Futura.

I like to share images of my collection later (busy making a photo overview) and have a few doubles for trade. Hope to meet other beetle enthousiasts here!
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on February 11, 2016, 04:56:45 PM
Hi,

I 'am a pasionate collector of beetle figurines, especially the ones that look really realistic and are more or less scale 1:1. Also I breed some species and prepare beetles for a educational project (next to my job). For 5 years I have been collecting and it has become quite a collection :-[  I have been collecting beetles from Kaiyodo, Sega, Yujin, Kitan, DeAgostini (European and Japanese series complete :)), Takara, F-toys and Futura.

I like to share images of my collection later (busy making a photo overview) and have a few doubles for trade. Hope to meet other beetle enthousiasts here!

Hi there! I am an entomologist and only collect Arthropod figures, many of which are of course beetles! look forward to seeing what you have. Feel free to PM me for more chat, email exchange, and possible figure exchange :). Welcome

Beetle guy

Thanks, I will! Your posts have been quite a source to know whats out there in Figurines!

AnimalToyForum

Welcome to the forum, Beetle guy. You've found the right company here!  :)

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Hi Beetle guy, welcome to the Animal Toy Forum! :) So you're breeding beetles, too? Seeing your avatar photo I suppose Dynastes hyllus is among them?

Beetle guy

Quote from: brontodocus on February 12, 2016, 09:13:54 AM
Hi Beetle guy, welcome to the Animal Toy Forum! :) So you're breeding beetles, too? Seeing your avatar photo I suppose Dynastes hyllus is among them?
Hi,

It is a Sega Mushi King DX series beetle model of Dynastes hyllus! Very detailed models.
I will post a walk around of it soon.
It looks also(more) like Dynastes miyashitai actually.

I'm breeding a.o. D. granti, D hercules hercules and Lucanus laticornis.

Beetle guy

brontodocus

Quote from: Beetle guy on February 12, 2016, 09:48:51 AM
Hi,

It is a Sega Mushi King DX series beetle model of Dynastes hyllus! Very detailed models.

Yay, looking forward to your walk-around!  :) I had to take a look at Lai's "For the Love of Rhinoceros and Stag Beetles"... D. miyashitai is at least very similar to D. hyllus. Are there merely colour differences between the two? By the way, currently I am breeding only Goliathini (predominantly blueish Mecynorhina torquata ugandensis) but I'm tempted to get D. hercules back into culture (I had them two decades ago but wasn't really succesful with them), today our knowledge on scarab breeding is much better and I can produce my own Flake Soil with a concrete mixer.

Beetle guy

Quote from: brontodocus on February 13, 2016, 07:09:49 PM
Quote from: Beetle guy on February 12, 2016, 09:48:51 AM
Hi,

Yay, looking forward to your walk-around!  :) I had to take a look at Lai's "For the Love of Rhinoceros and Stag Beetles"... D. miyashitai is at least very similar to D. hyllus. Are there merely colour differences between the two? By the way, currently I am breeding only Goliathini (predominantly blueish Mecynorhina torquata ugandensis) but I'm tempted to get D. hercules back into culture (I had them two decades ago but wasn't really succesful with them), today our knowledge on scarab breeding is much better and I can produce my own Flake Soil with a concrete mixer.

I will post it soon! The sega DX series is great! M. t. ugandesis, that is beautiful! I prepared one a week ago. We (participants beetle project) got some death specimens from a breeder. Flake soil making, that should be on my list  ^-^

brontodocus

Quote from: Beetle guy on February 15, 2016, 11:51:38 AM
Flake soil making, that should be on my list  ^-^
It's actually not that difficult once it works but it takes some time to become edible for the grubs. If you haven't already seen it I highly recommend Daniel Ambühl's youtube channel.