News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Photography advice

Started by tyrantqueen, December 31, 2012, 07:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

@Takama I noticed your photographs are so much better now  8).

So, did you settle on a new camera?

Fembrogon

I like this idea for a thread.
I've been playing around more lately with how I photograph my figures, based on my room layout and the lighting & space available. I certainly don't have anything close to a professional setup, so I find diferent techniques workd better for different figures. I'm working on trying to make a crude lightbox to see if that helps.
One thing I'm still thinking about is the camera itself; right now my only camera is the one built in to my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, which is... Fine, I guess, but not without limitations. What do other people prefer to photograph with? How much do people like to invest in the camera itself?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 12, 2021, 11:45:50 PM
I like this idea for a thread.
I've been playing around more lately with how I photograph my figures, based on my room layout and the lighting & space available. I certainly don't have anything close to a professional setup, so I find diferent techniques workd better for different figures. I'm working on trying to make a crude lightbox to see if that helps.
One thing I'm still thinking about is the camera itself; right now my only camera is the one built in to my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone, which is... Fine, I guess, but not without limitations. What do other people prefer to photograph with? How much do people like to invest in the camera itself?

Honestly I just use a Samsung Galaxy too (I think mine's a 9); all the pics in my 'Museum' thread are with a Samsung Galaxy. Lighting is important, and angle, and depth of field. Having white lights helps more than yellow.

Advicot

Phone cameras work well when taking photos of figures as before I got my camera I used it for my photo catalogue and it worked very well. If you want to take close ups, phones become very pixelated but I just learnt to move the phone closer rather than using the zoom in features.

As Blaine said you need white light or LEDs as yellow bulbs don't work too well. I try to use a natural light source as much as possible but that can be difficult when light levels drop in winter.

If you want to spend high amounts on a camera, make sure you enjoy/have a very keen interest in photography as you don't want to spend high amounts of money and only use it when you get your figures out to photograph.

Hope it helps  :)

Don't I take long uploading photos!