News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo - New for 2016

Started by bmathison1972, October 09, 2015, 02:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcroSauroTaurus

I know I'll be getting ALL of them! ;D I hadn't seen anyone post any pictures or anything about the three new sets, so I thought I would let you guys on the forum know! And here is the picture of the new Deep Sea set:
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

That's the photo I've seen, too! :)
Quote from: sbell on February 12, 2016, 06:24:49 PM
See, I was thinking of a goosefish from what I could tell, but yeah, we'll need a better photo. I will be getting that lancetfish though!
Just above the (tiny) eye on top of the head is a small bump that looks like a stubby mini illicium which would suggest a chaunacid. But anyways, they are quite closely related and in the end it may be meant to be a monkfish. Isn't it strange that Kaiyodo has released quite a lot of deep-sea fish but apparently this is the first ever lancetfish (at least by them but I'm not aware of any other company having made one).
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 13, 2016, 05:34:46 AM
I know I'll be getting ALL of them! ;D I hadn't seen anyone post any pictures or anything about the three new sets, so I thought I would let you guys on the forum know!
It's definitely worth getting a complete set, the oarfish looks better than the T-Arts version and the Vampire Squid seems excellent, too. And, yes, Colossal Squid and Lancetfish! :D

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on February 13, 2016, 07:20:16 PM
See, I was thinking of a goosefish from what I could tell, but yeah, we'll need a better photo. I will be getting that lancetfish though!
Just above the (tiny) eye on top of the head is a small bump that looks like a stubby mini illicium which would suggest a chaunacid. But anyways, they are quite closely related and in the end it may be meant to be a monkfish. Isn't it strange that Kaiyodo has released quite a lot of deep-sea fish but apparently this is the first ever lancetfish (at least by them but I'm not aware of any other company having made one).
I know I'll be getting ALL of them! ;D I hadn't seen anyone post any pictures or anything about the three new sets, so I thought I would let you guys on the forum know!
It's definitely worth getting a complete set, the oarfish looks better than the T-Arts version and the Vampire Squid seems excellent, too. And, yes, Colossal Squid and Lancetfish! :D

If I have to pick one of the oarfish from this year, it will be this one (as opposed to the new Colorata one; they revamped it for the re-issued deep sea set). I am forcing myself to pass on the majority of the set mostly because I don't have room! But, also, there are budget concerns (since it's a good year for Kaiyodo prehistoric figures and all for once).

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sbell on February 13, 2016, 07:53:38 PM

If I have to pick one of the oarfish from this year, it will be this one (as opposed to the new Colorata one; they revamped it for the re-issued deep sea set). I am forcing myself to pass on the majority of the set mostly because I don't have room! But, also, there are budget concerns (since it's a good year for Kaiyodo prehistoric figures and all for once).

The Oarfish looks beautiful, And Brontodocus, I think this is the first Long-nose Lancetfish figure, until CollectA makes one. ;) But I don't know when this set is supposed to come out...
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 14, 2016, 01:34:18 AM

The Oarfish looks beautiful, And Brontodocus, I think this is the first Long-nose Lancetfish figure, until CollectA makes one. ;) But I don't know when this set is supposed to come out...

I'd have to check my email from Brett, but I believe it either just released or will do so soon. I hope so--that fish is so awesome.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2016, 03:09:17 AM

I'd have to check my email from Brett, but I believe it either just released or will do so soon. I hope so--that fish is so awesome.

I hope they'll be out soon too, hopefully ordering Japanese figures from the US won't be too complicated...
I am the Dinosaur King!

sbell

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on February 15, 2016, 12:53:57 AM
Quote from: sbell on February 14, 2016, 03:09:17 AM

I hope they'll be out soon too, hopefully ordering Japanese figures from the US won't be too complicated...

Just contact Brett (bmknj17). He has the means to make it work, and so far I've got no complaints about pricing!

bmathison1972

postsaurischian

A new series: Sofubi Toybox ^-^ - Gorilla and Panda have already been released:
                                              http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-021985
                                      http://www.amiami.jp/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-022210&page=rt_02
                                These seem to be action figures. Not sure about the prototypes in the last pictures.

Gorilla

Panda

Komodo Dragon

Here's the one that gets me really excited :D! It's going to be the largest Giant Salamander figure in my collection:

Japanese Giant Salamander (release date: March-20-2017)

Butterfly caterpillar (species?)

sauroid

WOW! the komodo and the giant salamander are excellent. they remind me of the Happinet wild animals, the Kaiyodo are more realistic tho.

brontodocus

Nice! :) I will most likely pass on the gorilla and panda, though, because I would prefer them with the visible articulation points puttied away but I fear the effort would be too much. This will likely be much easier on the Komodo Dragon which looks already great. Does the Giant salamander have a moveable jaw? At least no visible articulation points on the photos, looks wonderful. :) The price for those seems okay, too.

Edit: Oh, I forgot, that's a butterfly caterpillar rather than a beetle grub.

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on September 20, 2016, 12:16:07 PM
....... I will most likely pass on the gorilla and panda, though, because I would prefer them with the visible articulation points puttied away but I fear the effort would be too much. This will likely be much easier on the Komodo Dragon which looks already great. Does the Giant salamander have a moveable jaw?

I'm also only interested in the Giant Salamander which is of course a must-have to me ;D, maybe also in the Komodo Dragon.
I'm not sure about the salamander's mouth. I can see nothing moveable :-\, but these are prototypes.

Quote from: brontodocus on September 20, 2016, 12:16:07 PM
....... that's a butterfly caterpillar rather than a beetle grub.

Thanks! I have changed that in the post above.

sauroid

the gorilla and panda are very nice too. im just not too fond of the seams. too bad. they still look superior compared to the big western brands.

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 20, 2016, 01:27:14 PM
I'm not sure about the salamander's mouth. I can see nothing moveable :-\, but these are prototypes.
Well, it's just a possibility but if there is a hinge it will most likely not be visible from above since the cheeks are wider than the lower jaw. But the first photo with the salamander looked a bit ike there could be a moveable jaw. Oh, wait - look at the model's left hand and comare the first photo with the brown one and the third with the unpainted one. :o I wouldn't be surprived if at least the left foreleg is moveable, too...
Quote from: sauroid on September 20, 2016, 02:32:30 PM
the gorilla and panda are very nice too. im just not too fond of the seams. too bad. they still look superior compared to the big western brands.
Yes, if it wasn't for all those seams I'd buy at least that Gorilla on the spot.

stargatedalek

For that price the Komodo Dragon and Giant Salamander are both must haves.

bmathison1972

September, 2016 release:
[thanks to stemturtle for hunting down some of the scientific names]

1) House fly, Musca domestica (prob first figure specifically attributable to this species)
2) two color forms of the multicolored Asian lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis
3) commercial silkmoth, Bombyx morii
4) house jumping spider, Hasarius adansoni (third jumping spider I am aware of and first attributable to an actual species!)
5) smokybrown cockroach, Periplaneta fulginosia (nymph)--Kaiyodo gave us an adult last year.

AcroSauroTaurus

I NEED that Komodo Dragon! It looks absolutely beautiful! ;D
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 21, 2016, 03:06:31 AM
September, 2016 release:

1) House fly, Musca domestica (prob first figure specifically attributable to this species)
4) house jumping spider, Hasarius adansoni (third jumping spider I am aware of and first attributable to an actual species!)
5) smokybrown cockroach, Periplaneta fulginosia (nymph)--Kaiyodo gave us an adult last year.

Interesting set! 8) So are these supposed to be stuck to one's window or wall with some sort of sticky putty?

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on September 21, 2016, 06:58:09 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 21, 2016, 03:06:31 AM
September, 2016 release:

Interesting set! 8) So are these supposed to be stuck to one's window or wall with some sort of sticky putty?

yeah, unfortunately they also look a bit small, smaller than typical gashapon figures.

postsaurischian

I was wrong. The Sofubi Toybox figures haven't been released yet.
Here are the HLJ links so far:

Western Lowland Gorilla: http://hlj.com/product/KYD00300
Giant Panda: http://hlj.com/product/KYD00302
Komodo Dragon: http://hlj.com/product/KYD00308

I think I have to order that Komodo Dragon .......