News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Anurans - Frogs and Toads

Started by brontodocus, December 31, 2012, 12:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

One of the more uncommon lines by Kaiyodo is the Red Data Animals. This walk-around covers No. 11a (or "special a"), the Goliath Frog, Conraua goliath (Boulenger, 1906). The frog has a snout-vent length of 42 mm so the scale is approx. 1:4 - 1:9.
The figures from this series are generally a little larger than the usual capsule figures, they are hollow, and the parts don't always fit as good and seamless as other Kaiyodos. The Goliath Frog is my favourite figure from the series and the seams are less obvious in this case. Paint application is a bit sloppy for Kaiyodo, though.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

Varanus

I never knew anyone made a Goliath Frog.  Thanks for sharing Brontodocus! :)

brontodocus

Oh, thanks in return, Varanus! :) It's not easy to find, I've only seen it once on ebay, I've bought a set via Jauce.

Jetoar

I like it, good detail of this figure have a base  8).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

brontodocus

Simply wonderful! :) The pose, the details, the all-over accuracy. Apparently, it was really meant to be Agalychnis callidryas - the characteristic yellow lines that normally cross the blue or black sides are not coloured separately, but the lines can be seen as a relief! :o Well, there are also other Agalychnis species that lack these yellow stripes on dark ground, e.g. A. spurrelli. BTW, I remember we had discussed that earlier but I couldn't find it anymore. :-\

brontodocus

Kitan Club often surprises us with exceptionally detailed animal figures and their Frog series is no exception. Here's the Nature Techni Colour Frogs No. 7 Japanese Common Toad, Bufo japonicus japonicus Temminck & Schlegel, 1838. Length is approx. 68 mm, scale approx. 1:1.2 - 1:2.5. The ssp. japonicus is said to have a smaller tympanum than B. j. formosus Boulenger, 1883. The latter subspecies has been made by Yujin as part of their Frogs in Colour series and although generally very similar that figure shows indeed a larger tympanum than this model here.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

postsaurischian

Wonderfully sculpted, perfectly painted ... excellent figure ... Nature Techni Colour at its best ^-^!

Jetoar

Varanus

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures American Bullfrog, Lithobates catesbeianus (Shaw, 1802) = Rana catesbeiana. Snout-vent length is approx. 125 mm so the scale is around 1:1 to 1:1.5. This was one of my first IC figures and is still among my favourites. Here is a link to the figure at Safari Ltd: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/incredible-creatures%C2%AE-american-bullfrog

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Varanus

Cool figure! :)  I've never seen a Bullfrog that bright green though, prehaps it's colored like a juvenile.

brontodocus

Quote from: Varanus on March 09, 2013, 01:22:53 AM
Cool figure! :)  I've never seen a Bullfrog that bright green though, prehaps it's colored like a juvenile.
Thanks, Varanus! :) Yes, they are normally less brightly green but often they are light olive green with almost no spots, I guess they had something in mind like this specimen.

Jetoar

Wonderful figure, a good acquisition for an amphibian collectors  ^-^.

sauroid

i hope to see your frog and toad figures.

let me start with my Yujin frogs (i have not completed the whole line yet):

Red-eyed leaf frog

Malaysian horned toad

Japanese tree frog

Eastern japanese common toad

Black spotted pond frog

American bull frog

~The Mandarin~

Very nice! I like the Malaysian horned toad cos it looks like this:  >:D

sauroid

haha i agree.
(btw, your diorama sig has very realistic looking images. very cool idea)

Battatitan

Great realistic frogs, Sauroid  ^-^

Quote from: sauroid on June 29, 2013, 02:38:36 PM

Black spotted pond frog

I like them all, but the pose of the black spotted pong frog is stunning and one that's rarely seen (probably due to it being a awkward pose to manufacture and display). The base is especially intriguing.

widukind

Great frogs my friend  :)

Takama

One creature that I thought was Incredible was The Flying Tree Frogs that leap from tree to tree and glide through the air.

So when I saw one at my local Farm King, I knew I had to get it.

Plastic Stand Not included