News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Animal cardboard models (general)

Started by brontodocus, September 12, 2015, 04:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Well, we already have a special thread about the amazing paper birds by Johan Scherft and Malcolm Topp's Birdmobile series here: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=668.0
...but I always wanted to start a thread about animal cardboard models by other artists or companies, too. And not just birds. So far I have assembled roughly 100 cardboard models (mostly animals).

The advantages of cardboard models are (usually) minimum costs and an already finished colouration.

Disadvantages are often the size of the finished model (many models are huge and space may become an issue very quickly), you'll need some skill and lots of patience to assemble them (even rather simple looking models require several hours or days of work), and the finished models are somewhat fragile.

Many of interesting ones have been retired and can be hard to find - but on the other hand some models are freely available as downloads on the internet (often enough those are published by printer companies so their aims are not entirely unselfish, most models require loads of ink).
In some cases, cardboard models of animals have been posted elsewhere here in the forum, e.g. Jetoar's walk-around of the Popular de juguetes Green Turtle paper puzzle here  - other examples can be found here, here, and also here.

So, every now and then I might share photos of some of them (and, if possible, give a source where you can get them, too.). :)

At this time, I'd like to post one that I have just finished yesterday:

Zygiella x-notata (Clerck, 1757); Missing Sector Spider, a member of the orb weaver family (Araneidae) which is quite common in Europe and North America. Cardboard model from the book "Paper Predators - Spider and Bluebottle" by L.A. Mound and D. Johnson (1992). The model is huge, body length (anterior margin of peltidium to posterior end of opisthosome) is approx. 290 mm, leg span when legs are fully stretched out approx. 840 mm (or over 600 mm when they are held like in the photos), scale is approx. 1:0.025 - 1:0.04. Building was moderately easy. Originally, all leg joints were movable but this resulted in the model being far too flimsy so I glued all but the basalmost joints. Like I usually do, all cutting edges were coloured with Pitt pigment pens because white cutting edges often don't look good on the finished model.
While certainly an attractive, huge piece, there are also some inaccuracies since the number of leg articles does not match the number seen in a real spider, apparently the patella and metatarsus were omitted. The chelicerae consist of only one segment (so the claw that pierces the prey is missing), and the pedipalp consists of merely three articles. On the other hand I'm very happy about how accurate the colours are. The book that contains this model (and a Bluebottle, Calliphora sp., too) can sometimes be found for quite cheap, I paid a little more than €2,- (plus shipping) for it.

Jetoar

Wonderful spieder, I am agree with you  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on September 12, 2015, 04:49:39 PM
....... So far I have assembled roughly 100 cardboard models (mostly animals).

:o Huch! I'm curious what we are going to see.

I have three cardboard models and they are all made by you :).