News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo lines and series

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 30, 2012, 09:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on December 27, 2012, 07:38:42 PM
Wow, that's a hard question... There are the Aqualand resin models; Animatales or Animals of Japan with at least 11 series (series 1-5 are also named "Choco Egg" and 6-11 "ChocoQ"); The Natural Monuments of Japan; Red Data Animals; Choco Egg Funny Animals; Choco Egg Birds (in flight); Choco Egg / ChocoQ Pets with many series; Birdtales; Souvenirs Entomologiques; Atlas Anima; Aquatales with several series; Various Aquarium series (Enoshima, Shinagawa, Sunshine Aquarium, Capsule Aquarium); Deep Sea Odyssey; Penguin's Lunch; Hamster's Lunch; Asahiyama Zoo; Zoorasia Lunch; Night Aqua Museum; and I'm sure there are tons of others... :o
I think at least the Aqualand resin models, Animatales, Natural Monuments of Japan, and Aquatales (maybe together with other Aquarium and the Deep Sea Odyssey) would deserve a child board on their own, and maybe there could be another one for the rest - and if that one gets too large, eventually, it can further be split into several child boards for the other lines? Kaiyodo is definitely a difficult task! :-\ :)

I'm trying to get my head around all of this (not my area of expertise!) and settle on the best way to split Kaiyodo up for the walk-around section, now that Kaiyodos are being posted. So, here is a thread to categorise the various Kaiyodo lines.

To sum up, here's Brontodocus list (Edit, I'm updating it as we go):

Aqualand resin models
Animatales or Animals of Japan with at least 11 series (series 1-5 are also named "Choco Egg" and 6-11 "ChocoQ")
The Natural Monuments of Japan
Red Data Animals
Choco Egg Funny Animals
Choco Egg Birds (in flight)
Choco Egg / ChocoQ Pets with many series
Birdtales
Souvenirs Entomologiques
Atlas Anima
Aquatales with several series
Various Aquarium series (Enoshima, Shinagawa, Sunshine Aquarium, Capsule Aquarium)
Deep Sea Odyssey
Penguin's Lunch
Hamster's Lunch
Asahiyama Zoo
Zoorasia Lunch
Night Aqua Museum
The Study Room
---

"The Study Room" has also come up - is that something different again?

brontodocus

Yes, the Study Room models are museum exclusives (from the National Museum of Science, Tokyo), some of the line are made of resin and others come from a vending machine in capsules. How could I forget about that one earlier? :-[

AnimalToyForum

AnimalToyForum

So, here's a suggested way to divide them up into categories. Thoughts are welcome :) I'm sure there are better ways to do it... the 'other' category is still pretty large...

'kaiyodo-tales'/'Choco Egg' series
Animatales or Animals of Japan with at least 11 series (series 1-5 are also named "Choco Egg" and 6-11 "ChocoQ")
Aquatales with several series
Birdtales
Choco Egg Funny Animals
Choco Egg / ChocoQ Pets with many series

'Kaiyodo-lunch' series
Penguin's Lunch
Hamster's Lunch
Zoorasia Lunch

'Kaiyodo-other' series
Asahiyama Zoo
Aqualand resin models
The Natural Monuments of Japan
Red Data Animals
Souvenirs Entomologiques
Atlas Anima
Various Aquarium series (Enoshima, Shinagawa, Sunshine Aquarium, Capsule Aquarium)
Deep Sea Odyssey
Penguin's Lunch
Hamster's Lunch
Asahiyama Zoo
Zoorasia Lunch
Night Aqua Museum
The Study Room

postsaurischian

That looks pretty good. I would just change one thing.

I would put Asahiyama Zoo, Zoorasia Lunch, Night Aqua Museum, The Study Room and the various Aquarium series (there's also one for the Kyoto Aquarium ;)) together in one category - these are all series especially made for these different places and only available there. You could name it 'Museum, Aquarium & Zoo series'.

You listed the lunch series in two categories. I wouldn't make an extra category for them. I would either put them to the Animatales- or others-category.

AnimalToyForum

Good suggestion Postsaurischian!

brontodocus

Ah, that looks good! 8) And thanks for your thoughts and suggestions about it, Helge! :) When I listed those different lines it was more sort of a brainstorming (and I'm sure there are more lines I'm not even aware of) but three or four child boards for the Kaiyodos would probably be fine and not too difficult to handle - and we have to consider that the sheer existence of so many different lines and series is very confusing for most collectors, anyway (I know how confusing it is for me!).

sphyrna18

If I may suggest:

Animatales
Animatales (Animals of Japan) - all 12 Series (ChocoEgg + ChocoQ + Capsule Q)
Choco Egg Funny Animals
Choco Egg / ChocoQ Pets
ChocoQ Amazing Animals

Bottlecap Series
Aquatales
- - - Deep Sea Odyssy
- - - Enoshima Aquarium
- - - Kuroshio Current
- - - Night Aqua Museum (possibly not part of Aquatales, but I think it was)
Asahiyama Zoo
Atlas Anima
Birdtales
Capsule Aquarium
Hamster's Lunch
Jellyfish Aquarium (possibly part of the Capsule Aquarium?)
Kyoto Aquarium
Penguin's Lunch
Souvenirs Entomologiques
Sumida Aquarium
Sunshine Aquarium
Yokohama Zoorasia Lunch

'Kaiyodo - Other'
Aqualand - resin models
The Natural Monuments of Japan - magazine exclusives
Red Data Animals
The Study Room

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some but I think it's easier to lump all the figures that are "loose" together, then all the bottlecap figures, then whatever is left goes it alone.  That way, if you don't know the series a certain figure belongs to, you can at least start narrowing it down until you find it based on whether it is a loose figure or whether it has a bottlecap.

Jetoar

Thanks for share the list. Kaiyodo is a great brand  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AnimalToyForum

Many thanks for the suggestion, that all looks very good. Easy to navigate, as you said. When I get a chance I'll update the kaiyodo section accordingly :)

Jetoar

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 10, 2013, 10:12:52 AM
Many thanks for the suggestion, that all looks very good. Easy to navigate, as you said. When I get a chance I'll update the kaiyodo section accordingly :)

Yes, he/she has done a good work  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

:) This looks really good!

Also add 'Shinagawa Aquarium'. It should have the same status as 'Enoshima Aquarium'.

brontodocus

Many thanks for your suggestions, sphyrna18! :) Yes, looks good.
Quote from: sphyrna18 on January 10, 2013, 01:45:18 AM
At least they are also known by the name "Bright Aquatales" so that's probably correct. I don't remember if that name is also somewhere on the pamphlets but I don't have my pamphlets at hand at the moment.

AnimalToyForum

Right so! I've created the three Kaiyodo sections and now I'm distributing the existing walk-arounds between them.  C:-)

postsaurischian

Well done :)! Only two mistakes C:-) ;D:

1. It's Animatales, not Animaltales.
2. The Aqualand Tree Frog belongs in the 'other series' section.

sphyrna18

Quote from: brontodocus on January 10, 2013, 09:50:15 PM
Many thanks for your suggestions, sphyrna18! :) Yes, looks good.
Quote from: sphyrna18 on January 10, 2013, 01:45:18 AM
At least they are also known by the name "Bright Aquatales" so that's probably correct. I don't remember if that name is also somewhere on the pamphlets but I don't have my pamphlets at hand at the moment.

No problem - glad they were helpful.  I can never remember which Kaiyodo's go with which set off the top of my head, but it's pretty easy to remember whether they were bottlecap figures or not, so that's why I always lump them together.  Back in the day there was an ebay seller, UDF, who was really good about posting all the figures individually and assigning them to the appropriate collections/series. I was of the habit of going through and saving the pictures he posted to my computer for future reference (wishlist/acquisitions haha).  I have most of those pictures still (key word: most. some have been lost forever, others replaced with better pix). Hopefully, I can get some pix of the Kaiyodos I have and get them posted on this forum. Maybe help out with a "guide" so to speak...

sauroid

does anyone know of websites with better/more comprehensive guide for kaiyodo and other japanese mini figures, preferably in english? these are the only ones i know and they are not complete (as far as i know).
http://www.megacom.net/~arkones/wcheg1.html
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~CH2M-NITU/egge.htm
TIA

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2013, 08:43:18 PM

Sorry, didn't see your comments before, I've corrected them now :)

If there are any lines we have missed from the list, let me know!  8)

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 25, 2013, 05:38:13 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on January 20, 2013, 08:43:18 PM

Sorry, didn't see your comments before, I've corrected them now :)

If there are any lines we have missed from the list, let me know!  8)

There are a couple others--the Kaiyodo BE-PAL set (I don't know much about it, except that I have a Tsushima Marten that isn't in any of the other sets); the Animatales Classic (not sure if that one was counted in the 12 series); the Kaiyodo Japan Science Museum set (which include fancy ones like a Bongo and Rafflesia, plus some prehistorics); and the Kaiyodo National Museum set (the one with the Nipponites and Futabusaurus) that also includes some other moderns (although I don't know what).

I may have the set names incorrect; even among online sellers they seem to vary in what they call them. They may even be coincident with some of the already-listed sets.

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on January 25, 2013, 07:54:39 PM
There are a couple others--the Kaiyodo BE-PAL set (I don't know much about it, except that I have a Tsushima Marten that isn't in any of the other sets); the Animatales Classic (not sure if that one was counted in the 12 series); the Kaiyodo Japan Science Museum set (which include fancy ones like a Bongo and Rafflesia, plus some prehistorics); and the Kaiyodo National Museum set (the one with the Nipponites and Futabusaurus) that also includes some other moderns (although I don't know what).

I may have the set names incorrect; even among online sellers they seem to vary in what they call them. They may even be coincident with some of the already-listed sets.
It's very confusing but both Museum sets are actually sold in the same museum shop (the ones I have were all picked up there) and both are "The Study Room", only with a different subtitle on the pamphlets - the resins (e.g. Bongo, Arsinoitherium, Sunfish, Rafflesia, Ranina ranina) with "The Collections of the National Science Museum Miniature Models" and the capsules from a vending machine (e.g. Futabasaurus, Nipponites, and Cheirotonus jambar) with "The Collection of National Museum of Nature and Science".