News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Bears

Started by postsaurischian, December 30, 2012, 08:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Series:  ASAHIYAMA CapsuleZOO 1

brontodocus

I remember I've seen a photo of this one you posted on the Dinosaur Toy Forum v.1. So great how they captured the water and air bubbles and even how the fur looks like it's under water. 8)

AnimalToyForum

Ana

critter

Wow! Really nice model. Thank you for the great pictures!

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Wildlife Wonders Polar Bear, Ursus maritimus Phipps, 1774. Shoulder height is 118 mm, snout-vent length approx. 260 mm. So the scale would be scale approx. 1:9 - 1:13. Link to the figure at Safari Ltd.: http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/wildlife-wonders%E2%84%A2-polar-bear
A thread for the whole series is here, too.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

postsaurischian

:D Grandiose!

In my opinion this is the one & only Polar Bear produced in the Western animal toy world that really looks like one.

Excellent photos :)!

brontodocus

Thanks, Helge! :) That's exactly what I think of it, too. I've seen lots of Polar Bear figures from the big non-japanese companies but this one here is the only one I've seen that does the real animal justice.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

Water effect of this figure is amazing  8).

Ana

It's beautiful and very realistic! I love it :D

But I'm not sure if I would say that it is the only realistic polar bear toy  ::) I really like this one also :) (but maybe I like it because it was one of my first animal figures ::) )

:)

brontodocus

Ah, okay, that's a really nice one, too. :) Ahem, I had to look it up, that's a retired Schleich one, isn't it?

Ana

Quote from: brontodocus on January 02, 2013, 07:11:13 PM
Ah, okay, that's a really nice one, too. :) Ahem, I had to look it up, that's a retired Schleich one, isn't it?

Oh, thank You. Yes, that's Schleich, retired in 2005 I think.  :)
Somehow each new edition of Schleich polar bears looked more toyish and less realistic (they already did two versions after this one)... ???

brontodocus

I have only very few extant animals by Bullyland but this is one of those I instantly bought when it was released. So here's the walk-around of the Bullyland Animal World Asian Black Bear or Moon Bear, Ursus thibetanus Cuvier, 1823. Height is 103 mm, snout-vent length approx. 122 mm, scale approx. 1:10 - 1:16. Human figure (South American Father from Miniland/Los Amigos del Mundo) is approx. 1:13 - 1:14 scale.

Edit 2017-02-06: Fixed broken image urls.

AnimalToyForum

brontodocus

Thanks, Adam! :)
Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 17, 2013, 10:39:34 PM
Oh, this one has a lot of character  :D
Yes, it does. Depending on the angle from which it's seen it may look as if it was smirking. ;D

tyrantqueen

I don't usually like Bullyland's crude style of sculpture, but this actually looks pretty good :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Jetoar

Bullyland do more less good replies, but this figure is too good for them. I hope that bullyland will do more figures of this kind  ^-^.

brontodocus

I'm not sure if the often crude detailing of Bullyland figures is at least partially due to the plastic they are using. While e.g. their dinosaurs and many other figures are usually made of the same waxy material with a density that is lower than that of water, the Asian Black Bear is apparently made of a different material, it feels similar to that of e.g. the CollectA Kelenken (and has a similar smell, too).

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 18, 2013, 06:13:13 PM
I'm not sure if the often crude detailing of Bullyland figures is at least partially due to the plastic they are using. While e.g. their dinosaurs and many other figures are usually made of the same waxy material with a density that is lower than that of water, the Asian Black Bear is apparently made of a different material, it feels similar to that of e.g. the CollectA Kelenken (and has a similar smell, too).

If they are doing their figures with other materuals, this is a good change for them  ^-^.