This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Fire Salamander (3B Scientific)  (Read 2906 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Fire Salamander (3B Scientific)
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
Walk-around of the 3B Scientific VN700 (Barred) Fire Salamander, Salamandra salamandra terrestris Lacépède, 1788. Snout-vent length is approx. 85 mm and total length is 146 mm. The slenderness and relatively small size suggest this may be regarded as a male or immature specimen (adult females are bulkier and can reach a total length of up to 230 mm). The species is adapted to deciduous forests with creeks. Females don't lay eggs but give birth to relatively large larvae (approx. 30 mm) with gills and limbs fully developed. The species can be highly abundant in some places and around my hometown (Bochum, Germany) practically every forest with a creek in it hosts a population. Their nocturnal habits make them go largely unnoticed by most people, though. Fire Salamanders produce a neurotoxin, Samandarin, which is predominantly emitted by the parotid glands behind the eyes. They only have very few predators (e.g. the Grass Snake, Natrix natrix) and have a high life expectancy of over 20 years in the wild and 50 or more years in captivity. The Fire Salamander is still common throughout most of its range and IUCN lists it as "Least Concern". However, the species is in decline and major threats are habitat destruction, roadkill, and the pathogenic chytrid fungus Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans.

Bonus photo - Size comparison with the Safari Ltd Tennessee Aquarium Collection Fire Salamander:

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:46:52 PM by brontodocus »

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Re: Fire Salamander (3B Scientific)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:05:33 PM »
Awesome detail and incredible sculpt  :o.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
3B Scientific Fire Salamander images are working again. :)

widukind

• Andreas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
I found that figurine too on a children flea market for 0,50€. That brand is located in my hometown :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:57:02 PM »
I found that figurine too on a children flea market for 0,50€. That brand is located in my hometown :)
Awesome find, congrats, Andreas. 8) That's about 1% of the retail price! :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal