News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Verreaux's sifaka (Furuta - ChocoEgg Series 6)

Started by AnimalToyForum, January 11, 2018, 01:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Walk-around of the Verreaux's sifaka, sometimes listed as a langur monkey, by Furuta. Give us a twirl!

sphyrna18

I'm pretty sure that this figure is a Verreaux's Sifaka (Propithecus verreauxi).

bmathison1972

Quote from: sphyrna18 on January 11, 2018, 08:56:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that this figure is a Verreaux's Sifaka (Propithecus verreauxi).

I have seen it identified as that as well (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~CH2M-NITU/eggj6be.htm)

AnimalToyForum

Thanks, I'm not sure what is the official name is then. I'll update the thread title.

stemturtle

Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 12, 2018, 01:29:38 PM
Thanks, I'm not sure what is the official name is then. I'll update the thread title.

Several times I have been misled by erroneous IDs from sellers on eBay. The langur (Old World monkey) is only distantly related to the sifaka (a lemur). I would write the official title as Verreaux's sifaka and delete the mention of a langur.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: stemturtle on January 12, 2018, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on January 12, 2018, 01:29:38 PM

Several times I have been misled by erroneous IDs from sellers on eBay. The langur (Old World monkey) is only distantly related to the sifaka (a lemur). I would write the official title as Verreaux's sifaka and delete the mention of a langur.

Thanks for the advice, done!  8)

Advicot

Where do you get your Furuta @animaltoyforum?! I struggle to find Japanese brands as a whole.  ???
Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

eBay eBay eBay. The only place to get Japanese figures outside of Japan is:

1. trading with other forum members
2. from online sellers (such as eBay, Mercari, etc.)
3. or through people who have connections in Japan, such as @brettnj

I feel like the question on where to buy Japanese figures has been answered dozens of times on this forum. Japan markets for the Japanese audience. If you want to buy Japanese figures outside of Japan, you have to pursue online sellers or other collectors.

Avian

I like the sculpt, just not the seam on the arm. The one on the waist is too small to matter, but the arm/body seam is quite large.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

bmathison1972

I would love this species, but all the figures I know about, of this or related, (Safari TOOB, Furuta, Play Visions) all seem too small for me...

Advicot

Thanks a bunch Blaine but won't the shipping prices to me be expensive?!
Don't I take long uploading photos!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Advicot on January 05, 2020, 05:40:25 PM

yeah, sadly that is a downfall with online shopping. There are regional eBay sites for Europe (Italy, Germany, others...), maybe those would have cheaper shipping. Shipping between North America and Europe right now is horrendous!

Isidro

Comparing with the staple it looks like a decent size for me, tough I should know the exact measurements for assure that. However the seams are enough for discarding this figure for my collection.
I'm a bit stranged that you find it too small since you scale variation acceptance is much wider than mine. I think that the Safari monkey toob sifaka would fit well with your Japanese macaque. But you also have a golden lion tamarin of the size of a mandrill...
The Yowies silky sifaka also looks like it could have a very good size for my tastes at least, tough one never can be sure until seeing directly the figure.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 05, 2020, 05:43:45 PM
Quote from: Advicot on January 05, 2020, 05:40:25 PM

yeah, sadly that is a downfall with online shopping. There are regional eBay sites for Europe (Italy, Germany, others...), maybe those would have cheaper shipping. Shipping between North America and Europe right now is horrendous!

Yes, I avoid USA-Europe shipping entirely. Shipping from East Asia, however, is usually cheap and sometimes free.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on January 05, 2020, 05:48:50 PM
Comparing with the staple it looks like a decent size for me, tough I should know the exact measurements for assure that. However the seams are enough for discarding this figure for my collection.
I'm a bit stranged that you find it too small since you scale variation acceptance is much wider than mine. I think that the Safari monkey toob sifaka would fit well with your Japanese macaque. But you also have a golden lion tamarin of the size of a mandrill...
The Yowies silky sifaka also looks like it could have a very good size for my tastes at least, tough one never can be sure until seeing directly the figure.

@Isidro I have decided to retain the Safari TOOB sifika and bonobo, pending eventual release of 'standard-sized' figures of these species in the future. I might get the Yowie Kipunji monkey too, as like the Safari bonobo, is unique. I am not strict with size, but I like related animals to be approximate with each other

Avian

It's hard to tell, but I believe this figure is intended to be P. v. coronatus, or the crowned race of Verreaux's sifaka. However, the size of the figure makes it difficult to determine subspecies.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.