News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Congratulations @stargatedalek I especially like the Papo vulture.

That snake you posted earlier is... odd!

stargatedalek

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 05, 2018, 11:24:54 PM
Congratulations @stargatedalek I especially like the Papo vulture.

That snake you posted earlier is... odd!
I've always been rather fond of Tsuchinoko, a very interesting appearance and of all the cryptids strikes me as one of the most likely by far to be real (though most likely extinct if it is real).

stargatedalek

Red Saharan Uromastyx by Zuru. The legs spin and it runs around, which looks surprisingly convincing since it moves so quickly.

Absolutely precious, I love it and I'm glad I went through the trouble to hunt it down (most stores only stocked the snakes from this line).

Sculpt does not resemble an Uromastyx because technically this is a paint variant and the sculpt is of an Indo-Chinese Forest lizard.

I bought it because I adore this design, stylized as it is, and preferred these colours, but for species completionists this line is still worth looking into.

stargatedalek

Sorry for all of the non-animal acquisitions lately. Hopefully that will change when Canada Post resolves their strike and a great many packages I've been waiting for finally arrive. In the meantime I hope to get some better photos of some of these animals from the past few weeks and do some walkarounds.

Got my first Kaiyodo Revoltech today; Tohsaka Rin.

Overall I'm quite impressed, though I'll be sticking to Figma's. Revoltech are a lot more finicky and it's difficult to get Rin to hold a pose.

With Misaka Mikoto Figma for size (Revoltech is 6 inches vs Figma at 5 and 1/2).

Figma's are of course intended to be easier to pose, and are much easier to swap out parts for too. Figma are "high end action figures" vs something like FiguArts being "pose-able statues", and Revoltech landing somewhere in the middle.

Each has it's own appeal, but Figma's suit me best.

I'm glad I bought this less expensive one so I know relatively what I'm getting into with the upcoming Revoltech Arthropods, which are considerably more expensive. Can hardly wait for those to come out, but I've tempered expectations in terms of articulation and quality control. Hopefully being more expensive paint app's will be a bit more fine tuned on them.

Someone else new arrived today too. Mattel Jurassic World Attack Pack Stiggy.

Articulation seems a bit better than the wave 1 AP figures, I hope the Herrera and Wave 3's keep up this trend.

Mikoto is in a mood... and this is why I prefer Figma's.

Isidro

Just bought today at a store the Papo polar bear https://www.papo-france.com/en/wild-animal-kingdom/349-polar-bear.html I'm not a fan of ABC species like this one, but I liked the model and passed some weeks looking at it, finally I decided, one more for my increasing small collection :D

stemturtle

Primates Toob (Safari Ltd.)

Indridae, probably Coquerel's sifaka, Propithecus coquereli
*Red-handed Tamarin, Saguinus midas
*Emperor Tamarin, Saguinus imperator
*Common Marmoset, Callithrix jacchus
      The common marmoset by Nayab lacks the field marks for that species.
  Howler Monkey, Alouatta sp.

Proboscis Monkey, Nasalis larvatus
  Japanese Macaque, Macaca fuscata
  Gibbon (white), probably Hylobates lar
  Gibbon (black), probably Hylobates lar
*Bonobo, Pan paniscus

This tube for 2019 was released early. An asterisk* indicate a new toy species.
Available on eBay.

Beetle guy

I am shrinking my insect collection to the figurines I find very realistic and or special. So I sold a bunch enabling me to pursue some amphibians I really like.
Our home garden with pond is home to three species of salamanders, four species of frogs and the toad (bufo bufo). So my interrest in amphibians grew.

So my new additions are all amphibians  :P

First a holy grail to me the Kitan Club Japanese toad (Bufo japonicus). Shame old (and recently even new) Ikimon /kitan club animals can be very expensive. But I liked this one for years. Also cause of the great walkaround by Brontodocus. Also the Argentine horned frog (Ceratophrys ornata) made by Ikimon.,

Red-eyed Tree Frog (Agalychnis callidryas) by Ikimon and Lepidobatrachus laevis (it's wednesday my dudes) :)) also by Ikimon.

Ikimon's Schlegel's Green Tree Frog (Rhacophorus schlegelii) and Black-spotted Pond Frog Pelophylax nigromaculatus (formerly Rana nigromaculata)

Yujin Black spotted pond frog with larvae, Red Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs mating, Oophaga Pumilio from Kaiyodo, Four poison dart frogs (magnets, their magnetic leafes not shown) from Kitan Club, and again the Ikimon Argentine horned frog. And four species poison dart frogs from Kitan Club.

Larvae of Hyla japonica by Kitan Club.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Mmmmmmmm....you're cheating on the Brotherhood of Entomologists!   ::) :P C:-)

Honestly, I have thought similar. The quality and diversity of animal figures has been phenomenal in recent years (I truly feel we are in a new golden age of animal figures, the last being the mid-late 1990s). I have thought about collecting ONE representative of non-arthropod species, just to have a synoptic collection, but I am afraid it would be too overwhelming at this point. So, I'll stick to my expertise in the creepy crawlies :).

Beetle guy

:D

I'll stick to arthropods and some amphibians (I do have a great collection of them, only Yujin, Ikimon, Kitanclub and few kaiyodo). Indeed the number of great animal figurines is overwhelming! I love scale 1:1 figurines best. So these two groups are just right  ;)

stemturtle

Lumpy sponge, Haliclona sp. (Radicalresins), 3.6 in. or 9.3 cm.
An aquarium prop bought on eBay in desperation for the lack of sponge figures.

Beetle guy

@stemturtle
Little while ago I saw a Yujin sponge and coral set of 20 I think, do you know/have  it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yujin-Coral-Gashapon-Collection-Full-Set-of-16-100-Authentic-Marine-Sea-Fish-/371402761070

stemturtle

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 01, 2019, 10:27:28 PM
@stemturtle
Little while ago I saw a Yujin sponge and coral set of 20 I think, do you know/have  it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yujin-Coral-Gashapon-Collection-Full-Set-of-16-100-Authentic-Marine-Sea-Fish-/371402761070

Thanks  Beetle guy. I have been outbid a few times on the entire set of 16 Yujin coral, but do own a few of the species.
They are small figures, although very nice.

Beetle guy

Well, december was a good  month for collecting. Some more amphibians and even reptiles next to my insect collection. I sold some of my insect collection to purchase some Ikimon/kitan Club Nature technicolour sets that were on my wishlist for some time.  8)

The treefrog set of 7 colour morphs of Rhacophorus arboreus (released to help the victims of the Fukushima Prefecture Kawauchi after the earthquick) and the original Nature of Japan one.

Nature of Japan one on the right.

Some more. Last one comparing with the Ikimon frog A. schlegelli.

The Ikimon Salamander set.

The lizard and gecko set.
Gekko japonicus with prey, Gekko japonicus, Hemidactylus frenatus, Takidromus smaragdinus (female), Takidromus smaragdinus (male), Takydromus tachydromoides, Plestiodon japonicus (adult), Plestiodon japonicus (juvenile) and  Plestiodon japonicus (juvenile repaint).

I also recieved  Plestiodon japonicus (juvenile) of the Nature of Japan series and repainted one (in the middle) of the gekko and lizard set accordingly. Also the ventral side with a little metalic layer.

A: original and B repainted.

Also some axolotls of Ikimon, Juyin Rana japonicus larvae and Kaiyodo Dendrobates leucomelas  ;-)

And a trade with Blaine added a Play Visions Thorn bug, Lantern bug and assasin bug velvet ant.

Isidro

Wow, the prey of Gekko japonicus is the moth Spoladea recurvalis. I guess it's the only figurine of this species ever!

By the way, lovely amphibians and reptiles, extremely accurate!

P. S. Assasin bug?!?! Looks like completely a velvet ant for me...

bmathison1972

That is the velvet ant. Either 1) I gave you the wrong extra or 2) you already had the velvet and and just photographed the wrong one

Beetle guy

Oops! You gave me the wrong one, and I used the wrong name.
Do you have it yourself still @bmathison1972 ? Do I need to send it back?

@Isidro, Thanks for pointing out the mix-up.  And yes, it is the only Spoladea recurvalis figure I know of...or should I say half the figure  :))

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 07, 2019, 08:13:44 PM
Oops! You gave me the wrong one, and I used the wrong name.
Do you have it yourself still @bmathison1972 ? Do I need to send it back?

@Isidro, Thanks for pointing out the mix-up.  And yes, it is the only Spoladea recurvalis figure I know of...or should I say half the figure  :))

WOW I can't believe that. I thought I was so careful LOL. No I do not need it, it is an extra, so you can have it if you want it :-D

Beetle guy

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on January 07, 2019, 08:20:37 PM
Nice thanks!

It's the only velvet ant figure I am aware of, so if you don't have it, it is worth keeping. The color doesn't seem to be a solid fit for anything specific, but most-likely it represents Dasymutilla occidentalis. Play Visions often got a little artistic in their paint jobs  C:-)

Isidro

Today I photographed the gifts that I received for Epiphany (6th january). Well, my mother give me as gift the price of three figurines plus the shipping costs, the remaining animals I paid for. They was in my wishlist for long and now I have them in my collection :-)

Most are from CollectA:
CollectA Antilope cervicapra.jpg
Blackbuck male (Antilope cervicapra)

CollectA Chrysocyon brachyurus.jpg
Maned wolf (Chrysocyon brachyurus)

CollectA Connochaetes gnou.jpg
Black wildebeest (Connochaetes gnou)

CollectA Elaphurus davidianus.jpg
Pere David's deer (Elaphurus davidianus). All of you will know this figurine as it's in the banner of the forum hehe

CollectA Tapirus bairdii.jpg
Baird's tapir (Tapirus bairdii). Happy with my first tapir. Now I need the Mojo Brazilian tapir, the store where I buy these figurines online is incomplete in Mojo. But I hope to get it some day, at least is still in production, unlike the Safari's Malayan tapir that will be very tricky to get! (I don't even ask for Mountain tapir because looks kinda impossible to get, not even illustrated in Animaltoy Wiki...)

CollectA Vulpes zerda.jpg
Fennec fox (Vulpes zerda). A bit repainted around muzzle, the dark side stripes were too bold.

Southland Replicas Tachyglossus aculeatus.jpg
There are also some figures from other brands. One is my first Southland Replicas figurine and I'm not disappointed! Short-beaked echidna (Tachyglossus aculeatus)

And the remaining are from Papo:
Papo Gavialis gangeticus.jpg
Gharial (Gavialis gangeticus). While a bit slightly too large, it's a perfect figurine and I love it! (In the past, gharials reached sizes much bigger than now, being the same species, they grew larger than saltwater crocodiles, so it could be a good figurine in scale).

Papo Mirounga leonina.jpg
Southern elephant seal (Mirounga leonina). I love it, but this have the contrary issue, it's too small. My CollectA leopard seal is longer than this elephant seal! :(

Papo Panthera uncia.jpg
And by last, snow leopard (Panthera uncia). I choosed this figurine because the photo shows a perfect painting, much better than the snow leopards of other brands.
This is what I have should receive:
https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/pic/Papo-Snow-leopard-50160-approx-11x7cm.p50160a.jpg
But instead, I had received an animal with bold black markings without clear center, an abstract-picture tail without ringed appareance anyhow, and a not super accurate pattern on the head.
What should I do?
-Reclamate the shop about the product and ask for one painted like the photo of his website? (I don't opened the bag, maybe I need it closed!)
-Try to exchange this figurine with forum members who don't mind about the painting, by some other figurine?
-Keep it and try to repaint? Will be a difficult task but maybe is the most convincing one...

Thanks for any advice!