News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

A fish medical condition...

Started by sbell, May 03, 2015, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Okay, so I've kept fish a long time, in stores and at home, and I thought I've seen most things.

But this morning one of my female Congo tetras is suffering from a vent prolapse. I can even tell that it's ovarian tissue.

This is possibly the weirdest thing I've seen on one of my fish (and I have hand-removed fish lice before).

There's nothing much I can do so I'll probably have to euthanize her. But I thought I'd vent here...

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: sbell on May 03, 2015, 03:36:26 PM
Okay, so I've kept fish a long time, in stores and at home, and I thought I've seen most things.

But this morning one of my female Congo tetras is suffering from a vent prolapse. I can even tell that it's ovarian tissue.

This is possibly the weirdest thing I've seen on one of my fish (and I have hand-removed fish lice before).

There's nothing much I can do so I'll probably have to euthanize her. But I thought I'd vent here...

Sorry to hear this. :( How does something like that happen?

sbell

Quote from: animaltoyforum on May 03, 2015, 07:46:31 PM
Quote from: sbell on May 03, 2015, 03:36:26 PM

Sorry to hear this. :( How does something like that happen?

Apparently it can happen if the fish is ovipositing or otherwise pushing too forcefully? Kind of like piscean hemorrhoids or hernias. There's no way she was large enough for spawning. So, really, I don't know.  The others are doing well, and the Polypterus are not big enough to inflict that damage. I do know that when I pulled her from the water, the parts that were sticking out started falling apart, and she way hemorrhaging pretty badly. I ended her quickly.

From what I read, it is possible to do surgery  ??? but it's a three-inch fish that cost $10. Reality was that she couldn't be saved.

Newt

That stinks, man.

I had to euthanize a pictus catfish recently. It's not fun.

sbell

Quote from: Newt on May 04, 2015, 10:02:20 PM
That stinks, man.

I had to euthanize a pictus catfish recently. It's not fun.

I've euthanized a lot of animals, and sent countless others to their doom (those various fish, crayfish and dwarf frogs knew not what Polypterus was until I fixed that...) but it was just the way this particular fish's insides were becoming outsides that was so disturbing.

brontodocus

Oh, too bad... still sorry to read this. :(

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures