News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Asiatic Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii)

Started by sphyrna18, April 20, 2015, 11:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sphyrna18

Asiatic Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii) - repaint of the Safari Ltd. North American Wildlife Puma.  Completed in 2014.  Approximate scale 1:10 (1:9 to 1:11).  P. temminckii has always looked, to me, very much like a mini-puma, so I thought this robust figure from Safari Ltd (my favorite Puma figure to date) would make an ideal Asiatic Golden Cat.

It could probably stand to be a little darker in color, but playing with the reds/oranges/browns to get the color exact was beyond difficult, and this species occurs in such a wide range of pelage that the finished figure is not out of the realm of realism.  In fact, a Google search found ample support for such an orangey colored cat.  The facial markings also were no walk in the park, but turned out okay in the end.... I would definitely like to revisit this species in the future.

bmathison1972

VERY nice Chad! When I was a generalist, I also had this Safari puma and also felt it was the best out there!

sphyrna18

Thanks, Blaine! I appreciate that. This figure is such a definitive puma that it's hard not to look at it and still see a one, regardless of paintjob. I think that's one reason I went more orange with it instead of brownish.

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Excellent! :) I really like the NAW Puma and I think the original paint job didn't do the sculpt justice. The figure really benefits from a good drybrushing and I think about repainting my figure too, even if I'm going to keep this as a Puma.
Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 21, 2015, 12:41:58 AM
VERY nice Chad! When I was a generalist, I also had this Safari puma and also felt it was the best out there!
You collected non-arthropod figures, too? :o ;D