This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Giant Squid (Favorite - Marine Life Soft Model)  (Read 4958 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Giant Squid (Favorite - Marine Life Soft Model)
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:28:43 AM »
Walk-around of the Favorite Marine Life Soft Model FM-912 Giant Squid, Architeuthis dux Steenstrup, 1857; sculpted by Hirokazu Tokugawa. Total length including the two tentacles is 319 mm, length including arms is approx. 208 mm, and mantle length is 90 mm, so the scale is between approx. 1:20 and 1:25 for a mature female individual. "Freddie the Free Diver" by Safari Ltd is approx. 1:22.5 - 1.24 scale. Impressively huge cephalopods (second in its dimensions only to the even larger Colossal Squid, Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni Robson, 1925), Giant Squid females can reach mantle lengths between 1.8 and 2.25 m and a body mass up to 275 Kg. Despite having been formally described in the middle of the 19th Century, the species was only known from carcasses and dying specimens until quite recently and the first ever video documentation showing it in its natural environment was in 2012. This figure was released in 2014 and thus could reflect newer insights of the species' general appearance in life. Although the global population size is unknown, IUCN lists the Giant Squid as "Least Concern".

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:04:04 PM by brontodocus »

postsaurischian

• View Profile
Re: Giant Squid (Favorite - Marine Life Soft Model)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
 :) Beautiful figure, it's a pleasure to see Tokugawa's continuing work for Favorite (especially for the prehistoric section). I'm sure we will see some more treasures in the near future.
      The seam lines around the eye area are a bit infelicitous though.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
:) Beautiful figure, it's a pleasure to see Tokugawa's continuing work for Favorite (especially for the prehistoric section). I'm sure we will see some more treasures in the near future.
Thanks, Helge! :) Yes, it seems he is making new sculpts for the Prehistoric Life Soft Models on a regular basis, now. :) I think it would have helped if the seam lines had been trimmed prior to painting, yes.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
Really lovely replica. I think that it is better also MBA figure  :).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Takama

• Reviewer
  • Long live Rexy Rue Rue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 02:36:14 AM »
Thanks, Helge! :) Yes, it seems he is making new sculpts for the Prehistoric Life Soft Models on a regular basis, now. :) I think it would have helped if the seam lines had been trimmed prior to painting, yes.

I just hope they keep pumping out some species and dont stop.  It be great if they did more Regular Release Dinosaurs

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:34:22 AM »
I just hope they keep pumping out some species and dont stop.  It be great if they did more Regular Release Dinosaurs
At least it looks promising, if I remember correctly, Archelon and Dimetrodon have just been released and Megalodon will follow. :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 12:04:55 PM »
Favorite Soft Model Giant Squid walk-around photos are back. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal