News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Arthropods - Ectoparasites

Started by bmathison1972, February 04, 2015, 11:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 18, 2015, 03:22:29 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on April 18, 2015, 10:28:16 AM
Translucent body is really nice  ^-^.

thanks but they are not transulcent; that may just be an illusion from the pain job in conjunction with the shininess.

Thanks partner, I didnt know  it. I would like a review of the Spanish Moon Moth with your dioramas  ;D.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Jetoar

Quote from: Jetoar on April 18, 2015, 09:41:50 PM

thanks but they are not transulcent; that may just be an illusion from the pain job in conjunction with the shininess.

Thanks partner, I didnt know  it.

bmathison1972

Thanks partner, I didnt know  it. I would like a review of the Spanish Moon Moth with your dioramas  ;D.

OK  O:-)

sbell

You owe me big Blaine! I spotted those and immediately thought of you. For some reason  ;)

So if you could reciprocate with an Aqualand Silver Arowana I'd really appreciate it. By which I mean find me one--that's all I ask!

Jetoar

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 18, 2015, 09:54:15 PM

OK  O:-)

Thank you friend again ^-^.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on April 18, 2015, 11:05:24 PM
You owe me big Blaine! I spotted those and immediately thought of you. For some reason  ;)

So if you could reciprocate with an Aqualand Silver Arowana I'd really appreciate it. By which I mean find me one--that's all I ask!

Haha true that! And I havent forgotten, if one shows up I'll lyk.

stemturtle

Bed bug, Cimex lectularius (Club Earth), length about 0.75 inches or 2 cm.

This unidentified figure was part of a vintage blister pack of 12 insects called Backyard Bugs. My ID is based on the vestigial front wings and segmented abdomen. The legs should be bent more horizontally than vertically. The back would be flat unless it had just fed. Correction of the identification is invited.

bmathison1972

Your ID looks sound...now, where can I get one? LOL

brontodocus

The entire set looks quite interesting! :)

bmathison1972

More biters:

Two vintage rubber figures. On the left, the human head-and-body louse (Pediculus humanus) and on the right another sheep ked. This is my first Pediculus figure (PlayVisions made one as well); it is my second, albeit smaller, sheep ked.

I had originally identified the louse as a pubic louse, because it's a bit on the 'fat' side, but the morphology better matches a head/body louse.

PHOTOSHOP LINK REMOVED

stemturtle

Nice lice! It's fun to see what treasures people find on eBay.

brontodocus

Nice finds, Blaine! :) Yes, Pediculus fits better than Pthirus, the latter would have a thorax wider than the abdomen.

Megalosaurus

This is an awesome thread.
Many people collect cats or dogs, you collect anything that sucks its blood  :o.
I love this collection.

bmathison1972

Long time since a walk-around. And since I have been 'itching' to do one, let's start with the mange mite, Sarcoptes scabiei De Geer, 1778 by GPI Anatomicals, Canine Skin Parasites (2013). Since the focus of the set is canine pests, we can infer this represents the subspecies, S. s. canis. The clinical condition in dogs is called mange, where in humans it is called scabies, a highly contagious skin infection.

This is not a toy or a figure but rather a model intended to be displayed in veterinary clinics or used by sellers of veterinary supplies. The set also came with a flea and a tick. This is the second of this species to my knowledge to have been made, the first by Play Visions.
The figure can be placed on a metal pole on the display base (see last image) but sits fine without support.

The mite is large, measuring 95 mm making it 330:1 (this number was calculated on the card that came with the models). The detail is superb, and included cuticular plates and spines. A lot of research went into the designing of this model. The set is expensive but worthwhile to anyone interested in bizarre, cool taxa.

Jetoar

I dindnt know that exist a figure of this species  :o. Thanks for sharing.

brontodocus

Excellent! 8) I've seen this set of three on ebay and I've always been tempted to get me a set (especially because of the Mange Mite), however the high cost including shipping so far prevented me from doing so. But I'm still tempted, though! :'(

Owen Leo

Quote from: Newt on April 18, 2015, 12:54:35 AM
Those are nice! The giant flea eggs look disturbingly tasty. Mmm, flea omelette...

This whole thread reminds me of the Meguro Parasitological Museum. If you're ever in Tokyo, pay it a visit!

Is it true that the brown dog ticks are fed on by humans in some countries especially in Asia?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Owen Leo on March 10, 2016, 10:17:46 PM
Quote from: Newt on April 18, 2015, 12:54:35 AM
Those are nice! The giant flea eggs look disturbingly tasty. Mmm, flea omelette...

This whole thread reminds me of the Meguro Parasitological Museum. If you're ever in Tokyo, pay it a visit!

Is it true that the brown dog ticks are fed on by humans in some countries especially in Asia?

I dont know of any humans feeding on brown dog ticks  >:D but brown dog ticks do feed on humans

stargatedalek

I'd be concerned about blood poisoning eating ticks.

Owen Leo