News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Arthropods - Ectoparasites

Started by bmathison1972, February 04, 2015, 11:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

OK, this is a rather unusual thread. It is not taxonomic but rather a dumping group for ectoparasitic arthropods or arthropods that feed on blood, of a vertebrate host (not specifically humans).

It does NOT include stinging or venomous arthropods, nor those that are toxic to ingest or touch.

So, here is where you can place your fleas, ticks, lice, mosquitoes, bed and kissing bugs, horse flies, etc.

The common bed bug, Cimex lectularius.

1. Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks)
2. Paleo-creatures
3. Club Earth (Backyard Bugs)

Fleas, order Siphonaptera.

I. dog flea, Ctenocephalides canis.

A. Model by GPI Anatomicals (Canine Skin Parasites).

upload gambar

B. Life cycle by Merial.

upload gambar

II. Cat flea, Ctenocephalides felis.
One figure, by Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks)

III. Ctenocephalides spp.
These figures are not marketed as specific species but appear to be based on Ctenocephalides. spp.

A. Miscellaneous figures.
1. unknown manufacturer
2. Groovy Tube Books (Bug Blast!)
3-5. unknown manufacturers*

* these figures are too plump to fleas but are clearly modeled after fleas!

upload gambar

B. Large figure by Safari LTD (Smithsonian Insects).

upload gambar

IV. human flea, Pulex irritans.
One figure, by Kaiyodo (Sanitary Insect Pest Exhibition).

upload gambar

Ticks and Mites (order Acari).

The lone star tick Amblyomma americanum.

Two figures, a female and male pair, by a currently unknown Japanese (Chinese?) manufacturer.

upload a picture

The American dog tick, Dermacentor variabilis.

Two figures, a male and female pair, by a currently unknown Japanese (Chinese?) manufacturer.

image ru

Ticks in the genus Ixodes.

I. Australian paralysis tick, Ixodes holocyclus.
One figure, by Paleo-Creatures [figure is a male]

adult image upload

II. castor bean tick, Ixodes ricinus.
1. 3B Scientific
2. Funrise Toys (World of Nature Insect Collection)

adult image upload

III. Black-legged tick, Ixodes scapularis.

Two figures, an engorged female and a male by a currently unknown manufacturer.

upload img

IV. miscellanous 'Ixodes' ticks.
1. GPI Anatomicals (Canine Skin Parasites)-this is an otherwise great figure except for the presence of festoons which this genus should not have.
2. Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks)-this is marketed as a 'deer tick' which generally implies an Ixodes, but members of this genus should not have eyes, an ornate dorsal shield, nor festoons.

adult image upload

The brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus:

Two figures, a female + male pair by Merial

pic hosting

Soft Ticks (family Argasidae).

One figure, by Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks). This figure is marked 'chigger' but this is clearly not a chigger (besides, chiggers are only parasitic in the larval stage, which would only have 6 legs). The morphology is generic (and many members of this family look similar), but probably represents Ornithodoros or Carios.

The dust mite, Dermatophagoides farinae.

One figure, and what must be the ONLY figure of a dust mite, by Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks). Kind of cartoony but interesting.

The itch mite, Sarcoptes scabiei.

1. GPI Anatomicals (Canine Skin Parasites) - [probably intended to be subspecies, S. S. canis.]
2. Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks)

image upload no size limit

Parasitic lice (Psocodea)

I. Human head-and-body louse, Pediculus humanus.
1. Play Visions (Fleas, Lice, and Ticks)
2. unknown vintage manufacturer

imgurl

II. Pubic louse, Pthirus pubis.
One figure, by Kaiyodo (Sanitary Insect Pest Exhibition). At the time of this writing, I am lacking the Play Visions figure.

imgurl

Mosquitoes (family Culicidae).

I. Anopheles maculipennis.
One figure, by Skillcraft (Insect Lab) [I had to paint it myself]

online photo storage

II. unassigned mosquitoes.

A. Life cycle by Safari LTD (Safariology)

online photo storage

B. miscellaneous small figures.
1. left: Bullyland
2. right: unknown manufacturer

online photo storage

Blow flies (family Calliphoridae). [their larvae can cause myiasis].

I. common greenbottle fly, Lucilia caesar.
One figure, by Kaiyodo (Capsule Q - Sanitary Insect Pest Exhibition)

host image online

II. common toad fly, Lucilia silvarum.
One figure, by Skillcraft (Insect Lab)

host image online

III. miscellaneous calliphorid-like flies.

A. misc. figures.
1. K&M International (Insects Polyvinyl Bag)
2. unknown manufacturer [released in conjunction with Disney's A Bug's Life]

host image online

B. Large figure by 4D Famemaster.

host image online

A tse tse fly in the genus Glossina.

One figure, by Funrise Toys (World of Nature Insect Collection). While not overly accurate (they did give it a biting proboscis at least), it was specifically marketed as a tse tse fly.

image hosting

Black fly (family Simuliidae). Another fairly generic fly by Funrise Toys (World of Nature Insect Collection), but marketed specifically as a lack fly.

Horse flies in the family Tabanidae.

Of these first four figures, two are generic flies but specifically marketed as horse flies and two are generic but better attributable to Tabanidae.
1. Groovy Tube Books (Bug Blast!)
2. Funrise Toys (World of Nature Insect Collection)
3. unknown manufacturer
4. unknown manufacturer

imgurl

The sheep ked Melophagus ovis.

Both of these figures are vintage figures from unknown manufacturers originally distributed in bubble-gum machines.

image free hosting

brontodocus

Great! :) Difficult to judge from the photo since the CapsuleQ Museum flea is quite dark but it seems it may be the best of all flea figures so far. :) Same with the greenbottle, although the 4d Master version seems to be almost as good. There were lice made by PV? :o

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 06, 2015, 01:46:00 PM
Great! :) Difficult to judge from the photo since the CapsuleQ Museum flea is quite dark but it seems it may be the best of all flea figures so far. :) Same with the greenbottle, although the 4d Master version seems to be almost as good. There were lice made by PV? :o

PV made an ectoparasite set that included a hard tick, soft tick, flea, bed bug, head louse, pubic louse, and scabies mite.
I've seen a photo on an online blog but have never come close to hunting them down.

dinocat62

My Holy Grail, the PV parasites. Only ones I don't have.

stargatedalek

I only have one from that PV set, at least I think its from that set, its labeled "chigger".

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 07, 2015, 04:23:15 AM
I only have one from that PV set, at least I think its from that set, its labeled "chigger".

what do you want for it? LOL :) :) :)

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 07, 2015, 03:17:38 PMwhat do you want for it? LOL :) :) :)
I've hardly ever used it though so I might be willing to part with it if there's interest. Its not really "my thing" (that's cicada ;) ) so if you want it I'd be happy to take an offer.

Time to take this to another thread.

Jetoar

I couldnt imagine that I could find figures of this animals.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

soft tick, Argasidae by PlayVisions (1996)

PHOTOSHOP LINK REMOVED

dinocat62

This is the only PV set I dont' have. How i want it!

bmathison1972

two more!

1) life cycle of a cat/dog flea (Ctenocephalides sp.) by Merial

2) brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus, also by Merial

PHOTOSHOP LINK REMOVED

bmathison1972

Walk-arounds of the male and engorged female of the brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Latreille, 1806) by Merial. These figures were produced in conjunction with veterinary supplies and are not made by a major toy/model/figure company.

The brown dog tick is nearly cosmopolitan, where it lives as an ectoparasite primarily of dogs. They are vectors of many pathogens of dogs, but are not efficient vectors of disease in humans (although they have been implicated in outbreaks and clusters of spotted fever rickettsiosis).

The figures are LARGE. I was stunned to see how big there are, but kinda pleasantly so :). The male is 65 mm, making it 16:1 for a 4 mm adult male. The female is 133 mm, making it approximately 9:1 for a large, well-engorged female. The figures are nice, but not as good as the 3B Scientific Ixodes ricinus. The mouthparts are short and festoons are present (not visible in the engorged female, which is a realistic scenario) as they should be. The basis capituli (the part of the head to which the mouthparts attach) is not the correct shape for this species, but not a biggie. The male has eyes, but in an odd place, and the female for some reason lacks eyes. Both figures have spiracular plates and an anus.

I dropped a lot of $$ on these (after losing them previously on my first bid attempt); I was not going to let them get away from me again  C:-).

Newt

Those are nice! The giant flea eggs look disturbingly tasty. Mmm, flea omelette...

This whole thread reminds me of the Meguro Parasitological Museum. If you're ever in Tokyo, pay it a visit!

Jetoar

life cycle of a cat/dog flea is really nice  ^-^.

Jetoar

Translucent body is really nice  ^-^.

brontodocus

Awesome! :) And huge! :o So I assume these were substantially more expensive than the 3B Scientific Castor Bean Tick?

brontodocus

Wow, both of those Merial sets are wonderful, never seen them before! :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on April 18, 2015, 02:13:34 PM
Awesome! :) And huge! :o So I assume these were substantially more expensive than the 3B Scientific Castor Bean Tick?

...substantially  :P

bmathison1972

Quote from: Jetoar on April 18, 2015, 10:28:16 AM
Translucent body is really nice  ^-^.

thanks but they are not transulcent; that may just be an illusion from the pain job in conjunction with the shininess.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Newt on April 18, 2015, 12:54:35 AM
This whole thread reminds me of the Meguro Parasitological Museum. If you're ever in Tokyo, pay it a visit!

I indeed will :). I am lucky as I essentially work in a parasite museum  :))