This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Thorny Devil (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)  (Read 5287 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Thorny Devil (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)
« on: February 01, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
While this is not the only figure representing this species, I was always keen on getting the Science and Nature Thorny Devil. Of course, there are quite a few other figures representing this species on the market (I remember versions by Yujin/Play Visions, Bullyland - a normal and a huge but somewhat inaccurate soft play version, FameMaster/4D Master, and even one by Playmobil). Focussing on Australian animals, Science & Nature naturally had to make their own version representing this popular, small agamid, too. So here is a walk-around of the Science and Nature Animals of Australia (Large Replicas) 78002 Thorny Devil, Moloch horridus Gray, 1841. Snout-vent length is 55 mm and total length 107 mm (almost exactly as long as the version by Yujin/Play Visions, only with a much wider belly), so the scale is between approx. 1:1.5 - 1:2. DIstributed in scrubland and desert areas of western and central Australia, this little reptile almost exclusively feeds on ants and may consume a few thousands of them per day. So whether the scientific genus name "Moloch" (referring to an ancient, gruesome deity of Phoenicians and Canaanites) is appropriate or not is largely depending on whether you are an ant or a human. Many agamids have convergently evolved, New World counterparts (which were formerly all united in the family Iguanidae) and the Thorny Devil is quite reminiscent of the North American Horned Lizards (often misleadingly called "Horned Toads") of the genus Phrynosoma which share a similar body shape with modified, horn-like scales, the preference for arid habitats, and a diet consisting primarily of ants. So far, the conservation status of Moloch horridus has not been evaluated by IUCN.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:40:18 AM by brontodocus »

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Thorny Devil (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
I really need to get myself one of these, the low slung pose with one foot reaching forward contrasts the more common upright posture, so it would be nice to have one in a calmer stance.

Very nice! I absolutely love these little lizards, especially how the thorns collect water. Even with so many made its very hard to actually find figures of this adorable little lizard. Sadly I only own the Playmobil version (and an unidentifiable dollarstore version). Obviously its not perfect and its paint app leaves much to be desired, but overall I was surprised with how well the Playmobil version stacks up (its about half the size of this one).

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:11:10 PM »
I really need to get myself one of these, the low slung pose with one foot reaching forward contrasts the more common upright posture, so it would be nice to have one in a calmer stance.

Very nice! I absolutely love these little lizards, especially how the thorns collect water. Even with so many made its very hard to actually find figures of this adorable little lizard. Sadly I only own the Playmobil version (and an unidentifiable dollarstore version). Obviously its not perfect and its paint app leaves much to be desired, but overall I was surprised with how well the Playmobil version stacks up (its about half the size of this one).
Thanks, stargatedalek! :) Is the Playmobil version really smaller? The one I mean is from a retired set, I've never seen the figure unboxed but judging from the box photos compared to the Playmobil figures it seemed ridiculously huge: http://www.playmobil.de/Schatztempel-mit-Waechtern/4842-A.html?cgid=2009&showSpareParts=false#cgid=2009&start=37. I would have expected that the Playmobil Thorny Devil is actually larger than the Science and Nature figure.

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »
Thanks, stargatedalek! :) Is the Playmobil version really smaller? The one I mean is from a retired set, I've never seen the figure unboxed but judging from the box photos compared to the Playmobil figures it seemed ridiculously huge: http://www.playmobil.de/Schatztempel-mit-Waechtern/4842-A.html?cgid=2009&showSpareParts=false#cgid=2009&start=37. I would have expected that the Playmobil Thorny Devil is actually larger than the Science and Nature figure.
That photo is definitely deceptive, its actually about 1/3rd as tall as the Playmobil humans. I don't have any of my Playmobil on hand (used to collect it years ago) so I don't have it to take measurements of, but I should probably get it out again.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
One of the best figures of this gorgeous specie  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 03:43:04 AM »
I actually have both figures in the house--the Science&Nature and the Playmobil. And here, to compare:

They are similar in size, although obviously the S&N is better.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:44:07 AM by sbell »

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 04:40:53 AM »
Man, I really did get the measurements confused, that was certainly my bad. Agreed, the S&N is superior in every way.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »
Thanks for the comparison photo, Sean! :)
Man, I really did get the measurements confused, that was certainly my bad. Agreed, the S&N is superior in every way.
But the photo revealed that the Playmobil figure is indeed a lot smaller than I thought.  :) While it can't compete with the Science and Nature figure, I don't think it's all that bad. Actually I've been thinking for quite some time if we shouldn't have a thread for Playmobil animals, some years ago I bought about 80 of them for my kids (although they hardly ever play with them). And I can imagine that other members have Playmobil animals, too. While the typical Playmobil style doesn't allow too much realism I do like some of their animal figures.

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 02:34:51 AM »
That sounds like a great idea! I have several frankly immense bins of Playmobil in my basement, and I focused exclusively on the animals so there's a lot of them.
I'll go make a thread for that now so we don't clog this one up further ;)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
Yes, great idea, staregatedalek! :) It may take me some time before I can take photographs so it's good to see there are others who can contribute, too.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
Photos of AoA Thorny Devil are back again! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal