This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Alligator (Schleich - Wild Life) 14727  (Read 7902 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Alligator (Schleich - Wild Life) 14727
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
Quite recently, Schleich has started to release dinosaur figures with moveable lower jaw in a similar way Papo did before. Now they gave a moveable jaw to their new 2015 crocodilian figures, too. This is the walk-around of the Schleich Wild Life 14727 Alligator. The figure is obviously meant to represent an American Alligator, Alligator mississippiensis (Daudin, 1802). However, distinguishing characters that allow for an identification to species level are missing or too generic, e.g. the arrangement of neck osteoderms doesn't match any species of Alligatoridae exactly. The tip of the snout is very broad even for an alligator, almost square. This is possibly due to the fact that most of the teeth of the lower jaw (including the enlarged fourth tooth) will be concealed by those of the upper jaw when the mouth is closed - just like how it is typical for the family Alligatoridae. The last three teeth in the lower jaw have to stay outside of the upper jaw's tooth row, though, probably because otherwise the snout would have had to be made even wider. The teeth are a bit blunt and the detail is not as sharp as that of Papo's crocodilians but other than that and the abovementioned head and neck osteoderms issues the figure is surprisingly good. It's sculpted in a walking pose with the belly fully lifted from the ground, much like CollectA's American Alligator but much more convincing. The paint job is excellent with many shades between yellow ochre and dark olive green and a dark wash highlits the armour scutes very well. The moveable jaw feature looks very convincing and the head looks good no matter if the mouth is closed or opened. But unlike that of Schleich's new Crocodile 14736 the jaw hinge is a bit loose and tends to disarticulate during play. I bought this figure in a toy shop and could choose from six of them and most of them had a jaw hinge that left a slight gap at the corner of the mouth. On the other hand, all of the new Schleich Crocodile figures I've seen had a jaw that worked perfectly with a tightly fitting hinge. The Schleich alligator has a total length of 204 mm (192 mm measured in direct line) so if we regard it as Alligator mississippiensis the scale may be between 1:12 and 1:21 or up to 1:28 for an individual of world record size. The human figure (Charles Darwin from Accoutrements "Evolving Darwin" playset) is approx. 1:22.5 scale. A few decades ago the American Alligator population was threatened by hunting and habitat loss but since its protection the species has recovered and it is considered "Least Concern" by IUCN.

Together with Schleich Wild Life 14736 Crocodile:

Together with CollectA Wild Life American Alligator:

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:46:15 AM by brontodocus »

stargatedalek

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Alligator (Schleich - Wild Life) 14727
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:12 AM »
Its nice, but in terms of accuracy I feel that the CollectA is superior. This one I would say looks more "life-like" despite not being as realistic. By this I mean it looks like a moving breathing animal, whereas the CollectA has a feel to it that almost resembles a mount, very stiff in comparison to this Schleich one.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »
Really cool figure but I think that the eyes will be better in another color. Generally speaking, I like a little more than Collecta version because it is heavier  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:05:04 AM »
Thanks, stargatedalek & Jetoar! :)
Its nice, but in terms of accuracy I feel that the CollectA is superior. This one I would say looks more "life-like" despite not being as realistic. By this I mean it looks like a moving breathing animal, whereas the CollectA has a feel to it that almost resembles a mount, very stiff in comparison to this Schleich one.
Well, the CollectA figure has its own inaccuracies (I listed those that bother me here). I think in that respect, they may be equal in the end, only the inaccuracies are different ones.
Really cool figure but I think that the eyes will be better in another color. Generally speaking, I like a little more than Collecta version because it is heavier  ^-^.
Yes, the eye colour is a bit strange, the eyes could also have been a little smaller, proportionally.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »
Thanks, stargatedalek & Jetoar! :)
Well, the CollectA figure has its own inaccuracies (I listed those that bother me here). I think in that respect, they may be equal in the end, only the inaccuracies are different ones.
Yes, the eye colour is a bit strange, the eyes could also have been a little smaller, proportionally.

Yes, generally speaking, yes of this specie are more dark even the skin  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
Schleich Alligator with moveable jaw phtos are back. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal