News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Fantastic Fauna of the Henry Doorly Zoo

Started by Patrx, January 16, 2015, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Hey there! I thought I'd share some photos from my favorite zoo, a world-class place called the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.

The massive Desert Dome, an artificial desert biome.

Under the dome is the Kingdoms of the Night exhibit, an artificial cave full of bats, cave salamanders, mole rats, and other nocturnal animals. The cave connects to a simulated bayou environment with crocodilians, beavers, nutria, and some other creatures. Unfortunately, it's dead challenging to get a good photograph down there without using the flash, which I won't do because I'm not a jerk. So, here are some grainy, dim photos:

The zoo also has an indoor rainforest called the Leid Jungle. There's a walkway up in the canopy, and a path down on the ground/floor:

The aquarium is quite elaborate as well, and includes one of those cool tunnel areas:

The African plains exhibit is scheduled for a massive overhaul, but currently features a neat ski-lift device which allows for some cool views:

Next up, a nice aviary and an insect/other terrestrial arthropod building:

There's lots of other creatures there, but to me, these are the exhibits that really make this place stand out :)

bmathison1972

Nice pics of cool creatures. Are you in the Omaha area? I might be visiting there for work this year, not sure yet. This would be a place to check out.

Patrx

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 16, 2015, 08:48:26 PM
Nice pics of cool creatures. Are you in the Omaha area? I might be visiting there for work this year, not sure yet. This would be a place to check out.

I'm an hour or so away. It's definitely worth a visit, if you can :)

brontodocus

Great! :) Especially because of the indoor jungle and the desert dome it reminds me a bit of Burgers Zoo Arnhem (Netherlands), even the choice of represented species is somewhat similar. And Burgers is my favourite zoo in Europe.

Patrx

Quote from: brontodocus on January 17, 2015, 10:43:20 AM
Great! :) Especially because of the indoor jungle and the desert dome it reminds me a bit of Burgers Zoo Arnhem (Netherlands), even the choice of represented species is somewhat similar. And Burgers is my favourite zoo in Europe.

I've seen the website for that zoo, it seems like an excellent place! It seems their desert environment features bighorn sheep, which are magnificent.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Patrx on January 19, 2015, 04:07:31 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on January 17, 2015, 10:43:20 AM

I've seen the website for that zoo, it seems like an excellent place! It seems their desert environment features bighorn sheep, which are magnificent.

some of the desert animals shown in this post above remind me of home (born and raised in central/southern Arizona)

Patrx

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 19, 2015, 05:32:49 PM
some of the desert animals shown in this post above remind me of home (born and raised in central/southern Arizona)

I have heard the same from others who've lived in Arizona; particularly with regard to the peccaries. Perhaps I should visit there sometime and see just how similar the environment is!

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures