News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Soft bodies - Cephalopods, Annelids and Gastropods

Started by brontodocus, December 28, 2012, 07:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Incredible Creatures Giant Pacific Octopus Enteroctopus dofleini (Wülker, 1910). It's hard to measure its dimensions but traced with a flexible ruler the total length would be approx. 241 mm with a maximum diameter between opposite arms of 356 mm, and a mantle length of 75 mm. Since cephalopod arms are highly contractile I relied on mantle length alone when calculating the scale which should not be more than 1:8 given a maximum recorded mantle length of 0.6 m - these giant octopi are impressively large but their size (like that of giant squid) has often been overestimated. The sculpt is very nice and detailed and the colour matches that of E. dofleini well. However, it was mistakenly sculpted with a siphon or ("hyponome") on either side of the body, in reality there should be only a single sipho.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Amazing figure. I think that this figure will be able to  figure of MBA that giant squid or blue shark.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd. Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection Giant Squid, Architeuthis dux Steenstrup, 1857. Length including the bendable tentacles is 458 mm, mantle length 122 mm, scale approx. up to 1:18. The size of Architeuthis is often given at highly exaggerated dimensions. The maximum recorded mantle length is slightly over two metres and the weight hardly exceeds 200 Kg. Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni Robson, 1925, the Colossal Squid, is known from a specimen (caught in 2007) much larger than that. So this one is apparently not in scale with the Sperm Whale from the same line (but that one can be displayed together with the much smaller WS Sealife Giant Squid, representing a rather small 12 m subadult or female Sperm Whale together with a very large Giant Squid).

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Varanus

Great figure and review! :)  I don't have this one, one Giant Squid (the Safari one) is enough for me, and besides, this figure takes up a ton of room! :))

I wonder why no one's made a Colossal Squid yet, seems like someone should have by now.

tyrantqueen

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

Jetoar

Quote from: Varanus on January 26, 2013, 04:58:56 AM
Great figure and review! :)  I don't have this one, one Giant Squid (the Safari one) is enough for me, and besides, this figure takes up a ton of room! :))

I wonder why no one's made a Colossal Squid yet, seems like someone should have by now.

Yesterday, arrive to my girlfriend home this figure for my collection. I like much this figure and this is very huge and detail  ^-^.

brontodocus

Thanks, Varanus, tyrantqueen & Jetoar! :)

The WS Sealife figure is almost as detailed as the MBA version so it's probably a good alternative if space is an issue. :) I guess before the huge (almost 500 Kg) specimen was caught in 2007 Colossal Squids were mostly ignored, maybe we'll see figures of it in the future?

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on January 26, 2013, 10:16:09 AM
Thanks, Varanus, tyrantqueen & Jetoar! :)

The WS Sealife figure is almost as detailed as the MBA version so it's probably a good alternative if space is an issue. :) I guess before the huge (almost 500 Kg) specimen was caught in 2007 Colossal Squids were mostly ignored, maybe we'll see figures of it in the future?

I think the same that you friend.

Takama

I just seen that Giant Squid documetarey with my master, and they had one of these models at the end

Jetoar

This is my Giant Squid with my other sea animals in our stand.

I have used the plastic of Papo Gemsbok to base of Giant Squid  ^-^.

postsaurischian

Series:   Nature of Japan Vol.2
                                     (This is figure No.20)

Jetoar

Really nice details and sculpt, thanks for share friend  ^-^.

widukind

I love this very intelligent animals!! Nice figurine  :) :)

brontodocus

Awesome underwater shots and a brilliant figure, too! :)

postsaurischian

:) Thanks for the comments Jetoar & widukind!

Quote from: brontodocus on July 25, 2014, 01:43:32 PM
Awesome underwater shots and a brilliant figure, too! :)

Thanks Andre! These are my first "underwater" shots.
Well, actually only the figure is underwater. The camera still isn't. I'd love to do real underwater photography one day :).

Corydora

So they have the ability to breath air and live in fresh water now?
xD anyway outstanding diorama

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum Toxic and Dangerous Animals "Blue-ringed" Octopus, which is more precisely representing the closely related Blue-lined Octopus, Hapalochlaena fasciata (Hoyle, 1886). Like all figures from this set the material of this one is a very soft vinyl, quite different from the usual ABS plastic used for most gashapon-style figures. Mantle length is approx. 36.5 mm and arm length approx. 60 mm if fully stretched out, so the scale is between approx. 1:1 to 1:1.5. The blue-ringed octopi in the genus Hapalochlaena are smallish, intertidal and sublittoral species which are famous for their potential venom (which contains tetrodoxin) for which no antivenom exists. They are also quite docile and humans only got bitten on very rare occasions but some fatalities are known. When not agitated the blue rings or lines are usually invisible. The species has not yet been assessed by IUCN ("Not Evaluated" = NE).

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

stargatedalek

its very nice, and despite its relative fame one of only a handful of figures for this species that come to mind :)

I really do hope this softer material becomes a trend, I prefer it

Jetoar