News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Sand Tiger Shark (Maia & Borges).

Started by Jetoar, December 23, 2014, 06:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Hello friends, this is the figure of Sand Tiger Shark (Carcharias taurus) Rafinesque, 1810 of Maia & Borges. Total lenght is 170 mm. The sand tiger shark is a nocturnal feeder. During the day, they take shelter near rocks, overhangs, caves and reefs often at relatively shallow depths (<20 m). This is the typical environment where divers encounter sand tigers, hovering just above the bottom in large sandy gutters and caves.

Maia & Borges is a portuguese brand whose that done the earliest sea life figures of Schleich. It has produced some figures of animals with a really nice quality. This is one of the best examples of this. Sculpt, colors and details are really awesome. It is one of the few figures of this specie. I Think that it is beautiful replica of this specie. I bouhgt this figure the last saturday in a book shop  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Is there somewhere the rest of us can find these figures? The sand tiger is really nice.

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on December 24, 2014, 12:29:47 AM
Is there somewhere the rest of us can find these figures? The sand tiger is really nice.

In Spain, this is the distributor http://www.science4you.es/ that they have also Mojo fun figures but you can find it also in internte stores as Ebay

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Bullenhai-16-cm-Serie-Seetiere-Maia-Borges-13010-/151507943272?pt=DE_Spielzeug_Action_Spielfiguren&hash=item234693bf68

brontodocus

Good to see some photos of this one, I never knew from the company's own picture if I like it or not. :) Funny, I was always wondering why German sellers offer this one as "Bullenhai", i.e. Bull Shark, Carcharhinus leucas. But I think it is a mistranslation - On M&B's website I've seen it's officially named "Tubarão touro" which is the
Portuguese vernacular name for the Sand Tiger but would literally mean "Bull Shark", I guess.

Jetoar

Quote from: brontodocus on December 27, 2014, 05:46:22 PM
Good to see some photos of this one, I never knew from the company's own picture if I like it or not. :) Funny, I was always wondering why German sellers offer this one as "Bullenhai", i.e. Bull Shark, Carcharhinus leucas. But I think it is a mistranslation - On M&B's website I've seen it's officially named "Tubarão touro" which is the
Portuguese vernacular name for the Sand Tiger but would literally mean "Bull Shark", I guess.

In Spain and Protugal this specie and the Bull Shark, have the same name "Tiburon Toro" but sometimes, we use "Pez Toro" to speak about  Sand Tiger Shark  :D.