This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Sand Tiger Shark (Maia & Borges).  (Read 3726 times)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
Sand Tiger Shark (Maia & Borges).
« on: December 23, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Hello friends, this is the figure of Sand Tiger Shark (Carcharias taurus) Rafinesque, 1810 of Maia & Borges. Total lenght is 170 mm. The sand tiger shark is a nocturnal feeder. During the day, they take shelter near rocks, overhangs, caves and reefs often at relatively shallow depths (<20 m). This is the typical environment where divers encounter sand tigers, hovering just above the bottom in large sandy gutters and caves.

Maia & Borges is a portuguese brand whose that done the earliest sea life figures of Schleich. It has produced some figures of animals with a really nice quality. This is one of the best examples of this. Sculpt, colors and details are really awesome. It is one of the few figures of this specie. I Think that it is beautiful replica of this specie. I bouhgt this figure the last saturday in a book shop  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
Re: Sand Tiger Shark (Maia & Borges).
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »
Is there somewhere the rest of us can find these figures? The sand tiger is really nice.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 02:38:59 AM »
Is there somewhere the rest of us can find these figures? The sand tiger is really nice.

In Spain, this is the distributor http://www.science4you.es/ that they have also Mojo fun figures but you can find it also in internte stores as Ebay

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Bullenhai-16-cm-Serie-Seetiere-Maia-Borges-13010-/151507943272?pt=DE_Spielzeug_Action_Spielfiguren&hash=item234693bf68

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »
Good to see some photos of this one, I never knew from the company's own picture if I like it or not. :) Funny, I was always wondering why German sellers offer this one as "Bullenhai", i.e. Bull Shark, Carcharhinus leucas. But I think it is a mistranslation - On M&B's website I've seen it's officially named "Tubarão touro" which is the
Portuguese vernacular name for the Sand Tiger but would literally mean "Bull Shark", I guess.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »
Good to see some photos of this one, I never knew from the company's own picture if I like it or not. :) Funny, I was always wondering why German sellers offer this one as "Bullenhai", i.e. Bull Shark, Carcharhinus leucas. But I think it is a mistranslation - On M&B's website I've seen it's officially named "Tubarão touro" which is the
Portuguese vernacular name for the Sand Tiger but would literally mean "Bull Shark", I guess.

In Spain and Protugal this specie and the Bull Shark, have the same name "Tiburon Toro" but sometimes, we use "Pez Toro" to speak about  Sand Tiger Shark  :D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal