This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Female Edible Frog (3B Scientific)  (Read 4525 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Female Edible Frog (3B Scientific)
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »
Another 3B Scientific amphibian replica, here is the VN704/2 female Edible Frog, Pelophylax kl. esculentus (Linnaeus, 1758); formerly Rana kl. esculenta (the genus Rana is now restricted to the Old World brown frogs: the type species Rana temporaria and its relatives). The vernacular name "Edible Frog" is because this "species" was commonly caught for food but now it is protected like all native reptiles and amphibians within the European Community. Snout-vent length is 84 mm which is about average for an adult female. The "kl." is an abbreviation for "klepton" which means instead of being a proper species it is a natural hybrid (in the case of the Edible Frog it's a hybrid between the smaller Pool Frog, P. lessonae, and the larger Marsh Frog, P. ridibundus). The resulting hybrids would usually be infertile when crossed with each other but would produce offspring when mating with one of their parent species. But of all those three the hybrid is actually the most common in large parts of Central Europe. This is possible because a part of the population is triploid instead of diploid so they still retain two chromosome sets from one of the two parent species and one from the other. The term "klepton" is implying that an additional set was "stolen" from one of the parent species which makes successful reproduction without any further participation of individuals of the parent species possible. The Edible Frog's appearance can be an intermediate between the two parent species but often the individuals are very close to one of them so throughout its range it's usually not possible to identify a pond frog with certainty to species level in the field. Females are generally larger than males and often have more dark markings, e.g. at the sides of the head. However, the dark colour is never as extensive as in the brown frogs from the genus Rana where almost the entire temporal region is covered by a dark patch that reaches from nostril to beyond the tympanum. But this model has extensive black markings at the sides of the head that resemble those of a typical brown frog. Still common in most parts throughout its range, IUCN considers the Edible Frog as "Least Concern". A more greenish and very likely slightly smaller male specimen is also available as item No. VN704/1. The female Edible Frog usually retails for around 60-65 or $90 but I was lucky to get this for much less just like the Common Toad, Bufo bufo, and the Common Midwife Toad, Alytes obstetricans.

And as a bonus here I have a photo of a living specimen I took in August 2011 at Grugapark Essen, Germany:

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:32:47 AM by brontodocus »

stemturtle

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Female Edible Frog (3B Scientific)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
Brontodocus, you are on a roll with 3B Scientific: first the midwife toad, then the common toad, now the edible frog.  Congratulations!
I have a case of Anuran envy.  :)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »
Brontodocus, you are on a roll with 3B Scientific: first the midwife toad, then the common toad, now the edible frog.  Congratulations!
I have a case of Anuran envy.  :)
Thanks, stemturtle! :) Well, yes, I had to get those while they were offered for around a quarter of the regular retail price, sadly those discounts never lasted long (amazon.com) and prices now seem to have raised again. I'm quite happy since they all represent species occuring near my home (well, I wouldn't find midwife toads in Bochum but not too far away). Those Edible Frogs are ubiquitous in virtually every larger pond around here (but they're shy and most people won't see them). Some specimens  in our university's botanical garden have the appearance of a marsh frog and can grow really huge, around 15 cm, almost bullfrog-sized.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
Amazing replica of this frog, thanks for share again  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »
Thanks, Jetoar! :)

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Thanks, Jetoar! :)

You are welcome friend, I think that this brand does one of the best replicas of anurans that I have seen  ^-^.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »
You are welcome friend, I think that this brand does one of the best replicas of anurans that I have seen  ^-^.
Thanks again, Jetoar! :) However, if we take the retail price into account - around $90 or 60-65 - I still dare to question that their quality justifies a price tag like that.

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »
Thanks again, Jetoar! :) However, if we take the retail price into account - around $90 or 60-65 - I still dare to question that their quality justifies a price tag like that.
You are welcome friend, they are really expensive but the details are awesome  ^-^.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
Female Edible Frog is back! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal