This walk-arounds section is being phased out and replaced by the Animal Toy Blog. The board is set to 'reply only' and topics are being migrated to the blog or moved to a different board. Please consider contributing new reviews to the Animal Toy Blog instead.

Author Topic: Humpback Whale (Schleich - Wild Life)  (Read 10877 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Humpback Whale (Schleich - Wild Life)
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Here's the walk-around of the amazing but recently retired Schleich Humpback Whale, Megaptera novaeangliae (Borowski, 1781). Originally part of a line named "Seetiere 1:32" (which is apparently now sunk in the Wild Life line) and manufactured in Portugal, this is a truly big and massive figure at 317 mm length (and 660 g), so the scale is approx. 1:35 to 1:60 for a mature individual between 11 and 19 m length. The human figure by Preiser is 1:50 so the whale would be 15.85 m at 1:50 scale, respectively.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:33:21 AM by brontodocus »

Battatitan

• View Profile
Re: Humpback Whale (Schleich - Wild Life)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »
Ahhh I love Schleich's 'Seetiere' line because the figures are so realistic, detailed (barnacles!) and massive. Unfortunatly I didn't pick them up in time after they were retired, so I only have a very paint-rubbed Minke whale (which is lovely nonetheless) which I found after trawling (see what I did there?) eBay.  :-[
Congratulations on a wonderful figure!

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
Thanks! :) If I'm not mistaken all the "1:32" Seetiere were produced by Maia & Borges in Portugal. Since Maia & Borges distribute figures on their own now and already have a marine animals line, here's hoping we'll still see new releases of the same quality. Judging from the few Maia & Borges I have they are excellent! :)

Battatitan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Thanks! :) If I'm not mistaken all the "1:32" Seetiere were produced by Maia & Borges in Portugal. Since Maia & Borges distribute figures on their own now and already have a marine animals line, here's hoping we'll still see new releases of the same quality. Judging from the few Maia & Borges I have they are excellent! :)

Really? I hope they do release similar quality whales; I wont let them slip through my hands this time!

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:10:30 PM »
I bought this figure the last week and he is my favorite wahle of Schleich  8).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

animaltoyforum

• Dr Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • The Plesiosaur Directory
  • Animal: Frilled lizard
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
New member Emabel posted the following, but accidentally used the report button instead of the reply button. So I post it on their behalf:

"Please can you say me where can I buy a humpback whale from Schleich? But it must costs 30 or $. Thank you."

Thylakeane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »
Great detail... but the shape of the rostrum bothers me a bit  :-\

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:34:19 AM »
Images of Schleich "1:32" Humpback Whale are back. :)

Arctinus

• View Profile
  • Animal: Lynx
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:05 PM »
Wow, the large Mojo Humpback Whale seems to be the same mold but with a better paint job (I think?).  :o Though I kind of prefer white pectoral fins on the upperside. Then again, I guess both were done by Maia & Borges?

Since the Schleich Humpback Whale seems to be retired, this one's a much cheaper version. Also, the Mojo version's tail flukes seem to be curved upwards slightly.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

callmejoe3

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 10:15:06 PM »
Wow, the large Mojo Humpback Whale seems to be the same mold but with a better paint job (I think?).  :o Though I kind of prefer white pectoral fins on the upperside. Then again, I guess both were done by Maia & Borges?

Since the Schleich Humpback Whale seems to be retired, this one's a much cheaper version. Also, the Mojo version's tail flukes seem to be curved upwards slightly.

Yes, as far as I can tell, the current Mojo Humpback whale is the same Maia and Borges sculpt. I'm curious if owners of both can compare paintjobs. It's kind of hard to tell under different lighting conditions. Anyone interested in getting a a figure that's pretty close to the retired Schleich one should strongly look over towards this figure. Mojo's current Sperm Whale and Gray whale are also both from the Maia & Borges Schleich sculpts. Out of all of them, the Sperm Whale is the most different in terms of paint job. The gray whale sculpt can also be found under generic brands. I've seen this sculpt sold under a brand called ''Fantarea'' on Amazon.

callmejoe3

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 10:23:16 PM »
This figure is immaculate. Such rich detail, size, and a nice profile. My only misgiving is that shape of the head from the dorsal view is too triangular. Should be a bit rounder like the Monterey bay Aquarium or the 2012 MOJO figures.

callmejoe3

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »
Great detail... but the shape of the rostrum bothers me a bit  :-\

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had that minor complaint.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:03:39 PM by callmejoe3 »

Arctinus

• View Profile
  • Animal: Lynx
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »
I don't have both versions, so I can't post the comparison photos, but (based on the Schleich photos, both the ones here and the ones I found online) judging from the photos the Mojo one seems to have the barnacles painted more accurately. That is, the Schleich one seems to have paint applied even in the adjacent areas, like a child colouring a colouring book. So I would say the Mojo one is a bit better at this, but still far from perfect.

Also, the lighting in my photos is horrendous. The actual colour of my humpback whale is grey, not black.

And I'm also bothered by the shape of its rostrum a bit, now that you've mentioned it and upon taking a closer look. The rostrum really is too triangular with straight lines and also too narrow.  :o

And it's huge. It doesn't really fit into my collection, but I still bought it because I wanted to have a humpback whale. I didn't like the Collecta one because of its paint job (but the size was perfect). The smaller Mojo one was too simplified (the size was ok). The Safari Ltd. one was too large and I didn't like its eye and its barnacles (though I really liked its pose and colour). It'll probably be replaced with another, smaller one in the future if/when a more accurate one gets released (that won't be too small or too big).
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

callmejoe3

• Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 03:08:10 AM »
I don't have both versions, so I can't post the comparison photos, but (based on the Schleich photos, both the ones here and the ones I found online) judging from the photos the Mojo one seems to have the barnacles painted more accurately. That is, the Schleich one seems to have paint applied even in the adjacent areas, like a child colouring a colouring book. So I would say the Mojo one is a bit better at this, but still far from perfect.

Also, the lighting in my photos is horrendous. The actual colour of my humpback whale is grey, not black.

And I'm also bothered by the shape of its rostrum a bit, now that you've mentioned it and upon taking a closer look. The rostrum really is too triangular with straight lines and also too narrow.  :o

And it's huge. It doesn't really fit into my collection, but I still bought it because I wanted to have a humpback whale. I didn't like the Collecta one because of its paint job (but the size was perfect). The smaller Mojo one was too simplified (the size was ok). The Safari Ltd. one was too large and I didn't like its eye and its barnacles (though I really liked its pose and colour). It'll probably be replaced with another, smaller one in the future if/when a more accurate one gets released (that won't be too small or too big).

Sculpt-wise, I really liked the 2012 MOJO, though you're right that it lacks barncles and could have used application of white on the ventral body.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:08:30 AM by callmejoe3 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal