Author Topic: Kaiyodo - New for 2015  (Read 28395 times)

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
Re: Kaiyodo - New for 2015
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
Great! :) Finally I'll be able to get an affordable Snapping Turtle figure.

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 07:26:04 AM »
Oh, by the way, it seems the Kaiyodo "Mega Sofubi Advance" Blue Whale has become available! 8) I had one on pre-order at HLJ.com and I received a notification that it arrived at my private warehouse on Monday. Too bad they don't seem to take any further orders of it since they flagged the item "discontinued" now. I'm really excited about how it looks in reality. :D I should have it in about a week or so.

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
 :o :D :))  Waahhh! Another Shoebill - must-have!!!

(these are prototypes)

Alpaca, Capybara, Shoebill ??? ..... that reminds me of the Phat! Doki Doki Doubutu Series' selection.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:13:35 AM by postsaurischian »

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
nice, Helge. Yes when those are formally released they should be painted.

Here are the releases for later in April:

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »
Mole cricket and Naked Mole-rat... coincidence? ;D It seems that this new shoebill may be a better sculpt than even the Phat! version (although that one still remains a superb figure nonetheless). And finally a chance for me to get a Naked Mole-rat figure since I missed the Kitan Club one. Needless to say I need full sets of each of these upcoming releases! 8)

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
 :) The next set of insects - nighttime!

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
This will be another must have set! :) Blaine and I have been discussing about the represented species via email a few weeks ago. The rhinoceros beetle is yet another Trypoxylus dichotomus/Allomyrina dichotoma, the stag beetle is a Prosopocoilus, most likely yet again P. inclinatus. The butterflies are male and female of Sasakia charonda, the Japanese Emperor. Blaine has also identified the small red and black beetle hidden in the bark as a nitidulid, Glischrocheilus sp. What I just found out right now is that the cetoniids are apparently Rhomborrhina japonica, they are (like many beetles with metallic shine) somewhat variable in colour. They get quite big, approx. 25-30 mm so I hope they will be life size. ^-^

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
This will be another must have set! :) Blaine and I have been discussing about the represented species via email a few weeks ago. The rhinoceros beetle is yet another Trypoxylus dichotomus/Allomyrina dichotoma, the stag beetle is a Prosopocoilus, most likely yet again P. inclinatus. The butterflies are male and female of Sasakia charonda, the Japanese Emperor. Blaine has also identified the small red and black beetle hidden in the bark as a nitidulid, Glischrocheilus sp. What I just found out right now is that the cetoniids are apparently Rhomborrhina japonica, they are (like many beetles with metallic shine) somewhat variable in colour. They get quite big, approx. 25-30 mm so I hope they will be life size. ^-^

The nitidulid appears to be an 'accessory' to the cetoniines (like a habitat-style base) and not an actually figure in the set (do the math, there are supposedly 6 figures in the set and they are all accounted for). Still, I hope it is actually included in the set and not just an ecological note or whatever thrown into the packaging.

By the way, not sure the nit is a Glischrochilus or not. The color is similar but, from what I can see here, the pronotum is not the right shape. I am not familiar with the Palearctic nitidulid fauna so I am not going to hazard a guess as to what it is.

Also not sure why the 'night' theme? The butterflies are probably diurnal, as are typically cetoniine scarabs. It's probably just more for aesthetics of the advertising then an ecological theme.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:23:41 PM by bmathison1972 »

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2015, 07:49:10 AM »
The nitidulid appears to be an 'accessory' to the cetoniines (like a habitat-style base) and not an actually figure in the set (do the math, there are supposedly 6 figures in the set and they are all accounted for). Still, I hope it is actually included in the set and not just an ecological note or whatever thrown into the packaging.

By the way, not sure the nit is a Glischrochilus or not. The color is similar but, from what I can see here, the pronotum is not the right shape. I am not familiar with the Palearctic nitidulid fauna so I am not going to hazard a guess as to what it is.

Also not sure why the 'night' theme? The butterflies are probably diurnal, as are typically cetoniine scarabs. It's probably just more for aesthetics of the advertising then an ecological theme.
Yes, I wasn't implying that the small nitidulid was counted as a separate figure. But the photo suggests that this is some kind of piece showing bark and tree sap running out (and with the small beetle in a crevice) which serves as a base for the other figures. Since the small beetle gets even magnified I guess it will indeed be part of the set. But as part of which figure? Or will both versions of the flower chafer have a base piece like that? Thinking of the theme of this set... any of the other species would feed on tree sap, too, so it would make more sense if this was meant to be a sap feeder set than a night theme set. Well, as long as they keep on giving us great new arthropod figures I won't mind... ;D

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
new Hamster set:

sauroid

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
they do look like their old hamster sets and individual figures. (i wonder if these are repackaged. i could be wrong tho.)

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
they do look like their old hamster sets and individual figures. (i wonder if these are repackaged. i could be wrong tho.)

yes, they are apparently just repaints

bmathison1972

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2015, 07:56:28 PM »
:) The next set of insects - nighttime!

The 'official' translation of this set is 'Night of the feast of insects, midsummer gathering to sap
', reflecting the common thread is the sap-feeding habits and not specifically noctural ones.
The nitidulid is being advertised as Librodor japonicus, the Librodor currently considered a subgenus of Glischrochilus (at least in North America). I am happy my initial hunch was correct with the genus.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:00:42 PM by bmathison1972 »

postsaurischian

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
 ^-^ It's out now! Kaiyodo is introducing moveable heads and jaws.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:17 PM »
I am pleased I will finally have a naked mole rat. Because who doesn't need at least one!?

brontodocus

• Global Moderator
  • "Et tu, Bronte?"
    • View Profile
    • brontodocus at uni
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »
Yay, they look even better than expected now that we see the colour schemes of the prototypes! 8)
I am pleased I will finally have a naked mole rat. Because who doesn't need at least one!?
I was just thinking the same. :) So I don't have to worry that much anymore that I have passed on the Kitan Club version.

sbell

• View Profile
    • Fauna Figures Toys & Collectables
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »
Yay, they look even better than expected now that we see the colour schemes of the prototypes! 8)
I was just thinking the same. :) So I don't have to worry that much anymore that I have passed on the Kitan Club version.

Exactly--that one always seemed like too much $$. And the K&M Republic one was barely released before it went off the market in 2000 or so. This one should be reasonably obtainable!

Jetoar

• Global Moderator
  • Hello again friends and welcome
    • View Profile
    • Paleo-Creatures
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2015, 11:40:02 PM »
Shoebill looks really nice  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Battatitan

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 12:58:23 PM »
Kaiyodo have some really fantastic figures and sets this year.  ;D

I've never bought a Kaiyodo before and have only seen them on eBay for sale, so how do we go about purchasing them? Are they exclusive only to Japan or will retailers be supplying them closer to home?

sauroid

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
they are Japan exclusives although there are members here who could provide you what you want like BrettNJ for the new series and other collector members here on ATF like myself (i have a lot of older series Kaiyodo figures for trade only)