News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Bugsnapz

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 06, 2012, 03:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: Jetoar on March 10, 2013, 11:06:33 AM
Amazing skink  ^-^!
Well, there are legless skinks, but that's a slow-worm, Anguis fragilis:)

bugsnapz

Well I think the slow worms will sleep for a bit longer this year. But look what I had land on me out of the blue. A Yellow Ophion!!! They do not usually fly until July. I took this last week in the very cold April we have had so far. It is only the second one I have seen but first one to take a pic of. How strange.

brontodocus

Oh, wow! :) While I usually wouldn't dare to identify Ichneumonidae any further than family level this one really looks like Ophion. They are not uncommon here and on several occasions I had some in my room when they were attracted by light and the window wasn't closed. By the way, some ichneumonids with short ovipositor are said to be able to sting with it in self defense (which is why I never touched one of those) although I do not know if Ophion actually is one of those "stinging" ones. Anyways, even if they did it would be without any venom.

bugsnapz

Hi brontodocus, thank you for your comments and you are quite right but it is the female that will try to sting with her ovipositor. I was just amazed to see one this early as they usually fly around July time.
Bugsnapz Pete.

bugsnapz

Here are two for the price of one for you today as I have not updated for some time. Awfull weather has not helped this year so far but it is looking quite promising from now on. Enjoy the pictures.
Bugsnapz.

Owl midge (Pericoma fuligninosa)

Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) on old leaf

bugsnapz

March flies (Bibio marci) (well it did this year) I hope you enjoy these beautiful pictures.

Regards, Bagsnapz Pete

blackdanter

Great images. Keep them coming  ;)

brontodocus

It's wonderful to see how even so common and mostly neglected insects can turn out really beautiful when properly photographed! :) Oh, and it's a boy! ;D

tyrantqueen

I thought slow worms were legless lizards, not insects? :-[

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

KathyAnderson

These are really cool pics!:) I like the one of the honey bee.
I like Puppy in my Pockets and Littlest Pet Shop.
~Kathy~

KathyAnderson

I like Puppy in my Pockets and Littlest Pet Shop.
~Kathy~

bugsnapz

Hi Kathy, Thank you for your comments. I agree the picture you linked to is very nice. You are very close calling it a dragonfly but it is a very beautiful Damselfly. They are usually seen at the same time and locations. Dragonflies are a lot bigger. This is something you can check out next time you are out and about near water but don't get too close You don't want to fall in. Always best to have someone else with you.
Bugsnapz

PS I hope you like my next picture which is very colourful.

bugsnapz

Of all the different shield bugs this is one of my favourites. This was taken using my latest bit of kit, my new Canon MR 14EX ring flash which is soooo good. They are very expensive but is proving to be worth it in the long run. With TTL metering it is allowing greater depth of field which comes into its own with insect pics. I hope you will all see a difference once I have a few more pictures taken with it now the warmer weather has arrived.

Enjoy, Bugsnapz

AnimalToyForum

Ooh I like the shield bug  8)

Battatitan

Wow, all your pictures are spectacular! You've really highlighted the beautiful miniature world we live with but often overlook (sometimes quite literally!  :D ).

Congratulations on your new camera; it makes a real difference! That shield bug seems so intricate and mighty.

bugsnapz

Thank you Battatitan for those kind words, I am pleased you like my pictures. I am just back from Menorca where there are some wonderful insects. This is one off my favourites which is truly beautiful. There will be more to come.

Lacewing (Libelloides ictericus)

Bugsnapz

blackdanter

Quote from: bugsnapz on June 16, 2013, 08:46:19 PM
Thank you Battatitan for those kind words, I am pleased you like my pictures. I am just back from Menorca where there are some wonderful insects. This is one off my favourites which is truly beautiful. There will be more to come.

Lacewing (Libelloides ictericus)

Bugsnapz

Fantastic image. Great piece of work.  ;)

widukind

Unbelievable pics  :))

brontodocus

Yay, it's been a while since I last saw an ascalaphid and the one I saw was Libelloides longicornis. I've only seen them at one location in (southern slope of the "Badberg", a protected area in the Kaiserstuhl and one of the hottest spots in Germany, other notable animals living there are Western Green Lizard, Lacerta bilineata, and European Mantis, Mantis religiosa) :) At first I didn't read that the picture was taken on Menorca and was puzzled because I think there aren't any of those in Britain.