News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Newt's noodles

Started by Newt, April 11, 2014, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

Some photos for the entomologically inclined:

Black and Yellow Mud Dauber (Sceliphron caementarium)

Argus Tortoise Beetle (Chelymorpha cassidea)

Greenbottle Fly (possibly a Lucilia species)

Red-Legged Buprestis (Buprestis rufipes)

Dark Fishfly (Nigronia species)

mating Snipe Flies (Chrysopilus connexus)

bugsnapz

Hi @Newt , Great pictures, I am a bit jealous that you have such a variety of quality images of bugs and stuff I have never seen. Keep up the good work.

Newt

Thanks Bugsnapz! I don't have much technique when it comes to photography, but I do love going out and looking for flora and fauna. Speaking of which, here are some shots from a recent foray into a wetland area in the Cumberland River floodplain near Ashland City, Tennessee, USA.

First, some hylid frogs, starting with an adult Eastern Cricket Frog (Acris crepitans):

Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea) metamorph:

and adult of same:

Juvenile Bird-voiced Treefrog (Hyla avivoca:

and juvenile Cope's Gray Treefrog (Hyla chrysoscelis):

These were the only species of frogs I was able to photograph, but I heard Bullfrogs (Lithobates catesbeianus), Green Frogs (Lithobates clamitans), and Eastern Narrowmouth Toads (Gastrophryne carolinensis) calling.

Moving onto insects, beginning with Orthoptera. First, two color phases of the Clip-wing Grasshopper (Metaleptea brevicornis):

Another acridid, the Graceful Grasshopper (Melanoplus gracilis):

A member of the Oblong-winged Round-headed Katydid (Amblycorypha oblongifolia) species complex who crash-landed in a patch of Kidney-leaf Mud Plantain (Heteranthera reniformis):

A Bush Katydid (Scudderia species) perched in a maple branch:

Now some Hemiptera, beginning with a species of planthopper I'd never seen before, Rhynchomitra microrhina:

A sharpshooter in the genus Draeculacephala:

Buffalo Treehopper (Ceresa alta):

Red-shouldered Bug (Jadera haematoloma):

A couple of Lepidoptera, beginning with an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) visiting a Buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis):

Luna Moth (Actias luna) sinking into the swamp:

And...miscellaneous! Here's a male Eastern Pondhawk dragonfly (Erythemis simplicicollis) eating a Red-banded Sharpshooter (Graphocephala coccinea):

Six-spotted Fishing Spider (Dolomedes triton) walking across Duckmeat (Spirodela polyrrhiza):

Remains of a Short-nosed Gar (Lepisosteus platostomus) found below a beaver dam:

And finally, a patch of Short-beaked Arrowhead (Sagittaria brevirostra). Can you find the two juvenile Green Treefrogs in this picture?